Snow Chains for mud

DTDOG

I have a very heavy motorhome. Classed as 3.8t, but I just know it's even heavier than that with the additional leisure batteries etc.
I have had several occasions this year where I've had to be pulled off (stop sniggering at the back!!) and wondered if snow chains was the answer?

Are they easy to fit?
Do you fit them when you get stuck or before you set off to leave the field?
Would they tear up the field for others behind me?
do they work in mud and not just snow?

Another answer I've been told about are 'Waffle boards' or basically large thick grip mats, but my worry about those is usually the tyre has dug a small divot as it looses traction so you're trying to drive over the divot and over the waffle board before getting any traction. And there's always the chance these things get flung backwards or sideward in to people giving you unwanted expert advice while watching you get stuck (seems to be a spectator sport for many on fields!).

I have had several occasions this year where I've had to be pulled off (stop sniggering at the back!!) and wondered if snow chains was the answer?
Are they easy to fit?
Would they tear up the field for others behind me?
do they work in mud and not just snow?
i carried snow chains for years only used them twice both times in muddy fields and they worked well easy to fit just practice and they make less messthan you trying to get out with out them

i have a set of these meant for snow but the only time i have used them was in mud & they worked well , basically they are a thick cable tie designed to be reusable with a ridged area you place accordingly and of course they weigh a lot less than the set of snow chains i carried unused for ten years , as others have said i have a set of bread crates instead of waffle boards & if in any doubt park on them just to get that initial movement

IMG_1716.png

bread tray base's have worked for many times cheap & cheer full .just cut the sides off throw away cut the bottom in half then you have 2 .we also have these just for snow after getting stuck for 5 days in France January 2012 .cheyenne

DSC02639.JPGSDC11811.JPG

Park on the waffle boards so wheels don’t sink
That's what I did at Hereford last week and I am fairly sure if I hadn't, I would likely have been bogged down.

That's what I did at Hereford last week and I am fairly sure if I hadn't, I would likely have been bogged down.
That's because you were with us, Gordon and I are to old to push people out, we didn't have one person stuck, everyone drove off, even though the bottom of the field flooded.
We learnt from mudfest back in May.

bread tray base's have worked for many times cheap & cheer full .just cut the sides off throw away cut the bottom in half then you have 2 .we also have these just for snow after getting stuck for 5 days in France January 2012 .cheyenne

View attachment 70380
I think I would have just carried that loose wheel instead of putting snow chains on to roll it :unsure: ;)

i have a set of these meant for snow but the only time i have used them was in mud & they worked well , basically they are a thick cable tie designed to be reusable with a ridged area you place accordingly and of course they weigh a lot less than the set of snow chains i carried unused for ten years , as others have said i have a set of bread crates instead of waffle boards & if in any doubt park on them just to get that initial movement

View attachment 70379

Ken - can I ask: are 20 pieces enough for both drive wheels (i.e. 10 per wheel) or would it be worth getting 2 sets?

In fact looking at them on Amazon there is a pack of 30 for not much more than the link you posted so may be a no brainer...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reusable-Universal-Adjustable-Emergency-145mm-295mm/dp/B09QXKR4KP/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3FZUITI5EXF0E&keywords=30PC%2BReusable%2BAnti%2BSnow%2BChains%2Bof%2BCar%2C%2BCar%2BSnow%2BChains%2BNon-Slip%2BCable%2BTie%2C%2BUniversal%2BAdjustable%2BEmergency%2BSnow%2BTire%2BChains%2Bfor%2BCar%2BSUV%2BPickup%2BTrucks%2C%2BSnow%2BMud%2BChains%2BTire%2BWidth%2B145mm-295mm&qid=1698995785&quartzVehicle=1553-11917&replacementKeywords=30pc%2Breusable%2Banti%2Bsnow%2Bchains%2Bof%2Bcar%2C%2Bcar%2Bsnow%2Bchains%2Bnon-slip%2Bcable%2Btie%2C%2Buniversal%2Badjustable%2Bemergency%2Bsnow%2Btire%2Bchains%2Bfor%2Bcar%2Bsuv%2Btrucks%2C%2Bsnow%2Bmud%2Bchains%2Btire%2Bwidth%2B145mm-295mm&sprefix=30pc%2Breusable%2Banti%2Bsnow%2Bchains%2Bof%2Bcar%2Bcar%2Bsnow%2Bchains%2Bnon-slip%2Bcable%2Btie%2Buniversal%2Badjustable%2Bemergency%2Bsnow%2Btire%2Bchains%2Bfor%2Bcar%2Bsuv%2Bpickup%2Btrucks%2Bsnow%2Bmud%2Bchains%2Btire%2Bwidth%2B145mm-295mm%2Caps%2C85&sr=8-4&th=1

Can I ask what weight your MH is though Ken? Ours is a Comanche TAG axle so up to 5t and 'nose light' with poor traction. Therefore I was wondering if something like the ones below may be better? Still lightweight but wider...

Last edited:
I brought these used once with success.
Changed tyres now to cross climate never had problem since . Tagg comanche

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231103_074038_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231103_074038_eBay.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
Was that on mud or snow?

the set of 20 was plenty there are only 8 holes on my wheels and only needed on the drive wheels my A class is 4.25 tonne and also front end light but it does have that traction + function?

• Thank You
Thanks Ken

I just bought some: 24 for just shy of £13 off Ebay. Small and lightweight so a no brainer to keep on board just in case.

Cheers (y)

socks or plastic straps they wouldn't've pull a greasy man out of bed or chains one driving wheel trying ( tag axel 6000KG )to pull 3500KG plus up hill in the snow i no contest chains every time .cheyenne

I want them for mud not snow and with 2 owners of larger MHs vouching for them, they are worth a punt.

i must admit the just in case reasoning was why the weight factor made it more attractive i carried my last set of chains for ten years and never used them

I have some snowchains for my Benimar ( 215/75/R16) bought for our skiing trips
Spec:- RUD-Matic Snow Chains 4x4 for 215/75/16, or 215/80/16 Tyres. They are an excellent German quality item.

I no longer want them as I can no longer ski and am about to list them on Ebay. If anybody's interested on here, let me know and we can discuss?
They weigh 17Kg.
I'm in Romney Marsh, Kent.
Jeremy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back