Spare wheel cradle Peugeot Boxer and similar.

DicknMaggie

In the process of servicing my Warwick Duo. Decided to renew the tyres and at the same time have the alloy wheels powder coated in shiny black.

Noticed the spare wheel looking a bit sad so I thought drop it down clean it and give it a coat of black gloss.

Am I glad I hadn't had a puncture out on the road. I would not have been able to remove it with the limited tools I carry.

The “hand wheel” securing nut was seized also the carrier plate was suck fast to the centre of the wheel rim. Pipe grips and a beating got both free.

Along with the corrosion on the rim the tapers on the wheel nut holed were very crusty with rust and would have compromised the wheel security if fitted without serious attention.

Lots of cleaning, painting and greasing followed.

Checking and maintaining the spare may seem obvious to most. I thought I fell into that category but I obviously overlooked the importance.

A bit of extra info. If you have never attempted to remove the spare check you have the correct “Allen Key”. Some have six flats others have five. Both my Sister's and my vans were initially supplied with the wrong tool.

Good point on the 5 or 6 sided Allen type tool required.
Our unit came without either, having bought the wrong type I now have a spare.
Should anyone want a 6 sided tool free, please contact me and I will post it off.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back