Starter Battery change

Val54

Our motorhome is on a 2015 Fiat base and this afternoon the starter battery only just cranked and started. Its the original battery so I'm happy that its time to change it. Now I'm still fairly handy with the spanners but when I lifted the floor lid I was a bit taken aback by the amount of wiring ..........
IMG_1207.jpeg
I've looked in the Fiat handbook which isn't exactly forthcoming on battery replacement ....
I've had previous issues with airbag CPU failures so I don't want to cause another failure. All I've gleaned so far is to disconnect any linkage between the hab batteries and starter battery, then disconnect the negative and wait 10 minutes or so before proceeding to remove the battery. Installation being the reverse process. Any advice in addition to that. Also I was planning to order the same size battery but with a higher CCA, ie 900 rather than the existing 800. Is there anything else to watch out for, I'm assuming that as it is 2015 van with no stop/start, it doesn't have a smart alternator, not sure how to double check that.
Helpful comments/advice appreciated 😃

It looks more daunting than it is.
Firstly the negative comes off. nice and easy and just the lever on the bottom.
Then undo the bolt on the centre clamp and move that out the way

Then for the Positive, you ignore all those fuses and terminals, and just undo the post bolt on the +ve battery termnal on the top (move the big black fuse holder that is blocking the view out the way).
Then that terminal bolt just lifts up out the way vertically to all thr battery to lift out.

New battery follow process in reverse .... +ve on first, then clamp, than refit negative.

Our motorhome is on a 2015 Fiat base and this afternoon the starter battery only just cranked and started. Its the original battery so I'm happy that its time to change it. Now I'm still fairly handy with the spanners but when I lifted the floor lid I was a bit taken aback by the amount of wiring ..........
View attachment 71594
I've looked in the Fiat handbook which isn't exactly forthcoming on battery replacement ....
I've had previous issues with airbag CPU failures so I don't want to cause another failure. All I've gleaned so far is to disconnect any linkage between the hab batteries and starter battery, then disconnect the negative and wait 10 minutes or so before proceeding to remove the battery. Installation being the reverse process. Any advice in addition to that. Also I was planning to order the same size battery but with a higher CCA, ie 900 rather than the existing 800. Is there anything else to watch out for, I'm assuming that as it is 2015 van with no stop/start, it doesn't have a smart alternator, not sure how to double check that.
Helpful comments/advice appreciated 😃
Hi Dave, remember you receive discount from Alpha Batteries for being a forum member. With Alpha, and most other battery retailers, put in your vehicle reg into their search engine, and voila, what you require will show on a new page for you to select. Search battery seller search engine normally will recognise if your vehicle had stop.go capability.

The bus bar, the part with all the fuses, on the + side, just remove, then refit to new battery + terminal, a simple process. BTW, that is an easy battery to access, accessing my cranking battery is a mare!!

Hi Dave, remember you receive discount from Alpha Batteries for being a forum member. With Alpha, and most other battery retailers, put in your vehicle reg into their search engine, and voila, what you require will show on a new page for you to select. Search battery seller search engine normally will recognise if your vehicle had stop.go capability.

The bus bar, the part with all the fuses, on the + side, just remove, then refit to new battery + terminal, a simple process. BTW, that is an easy battery to access, accessing my cranking battery is a mare!!

Thanks David and Terry, I did check with Alpha, there seem to be two that fit the bill, a Jennox (don't recognise the make but I guess ok if Alpha stock them) and a more expensive Bosch. The Jennox seems a good bet, cheaper and 2kg lighter 😃.

Do you have any connections to the hab battery that could be live? I'm not familiar with all those fuses and terminals that you have on the positive, but if there's anything being fed in from the hab battery you need to be very careful!

Do you have any connections to the hab battery that could be live? I'm not familiar with all those fuses and terminals that you have on the positive, but if there's anything being fed in from the hab battery you need to be very careful!
Thanks, there is a trickle feed from the MPPT which I will disconnect first, i don't there is anything else.

Thanks David and Terry, I did check with Alpha, there seem to be two that fit the bill, a Jennox (don't recognise the make but I guess ok if Alpha stock them) and a more expensive Bosch. The Jennox seems a good bet, cheaper and 2kg lighter 😃.
Jennox is a new brand to the UK and I think it might be an Alpha Battery exclusive (I remember talking to the MD when he was over in Poland speaking to the manufacturer).
They look to me to be excellent value with a super warranty. I bought before Christmas a Jennox starter battery for my car in fact. Having said that, not got round to fitting it yet! :D

I would go for a sealed battery rather than the type you have, to much trouble to top up.
If woried about loosing radio stations etc i always use my jumper starter pack connected to the main cables until i get the new battery fitted and cables on.

I would go for a sealed battery rather than the type you have, to much trouble to top up.
If woried about loosing radio stations etc i always use my jumper starter pack connected to the main cables until i get the new battery fitted and cables on.
On a Ducato/Boxer/Relay and likely other more modern-ish vans, you could put a battery on the jump points under the bonnet rather then on the battery cables if you wanted to keep power for some reason whilst removing the battery.

With lead acid batteries, heavy is good.

Hello i am not great on forums cant seem to find what i am looking for or how to start a conversation.
My query is advice on a trickle charger can anybody advise. My Fiat Ducato Hobby optima premium (2019) is parked outside the house we dont use it at all or very very seldom in the winter. I plug her into the mains every 8 to 10 days and charge the leisure and the vehicle battery. Both charge fully after approx 1 to 2 days.
There is a leisure battery isolator switch but i never turn it off.
I am wondering would i be better off with a trickle charger if so what kind etc etc any help on this would be greatly received.
I recently had to get my Airbag E.C.U. re programmed successfully thank god i didnt have to buy a new one.
Somebody mentioned as a result of a drop in battery power probably caused the fault in the unit.
Hence my enquiry regarding trickle charger
Any advice please

I got the Jenox last week, the height is a tiny bit lower so I had to use a 3/4'' block of wood to make the clamp effective.

1709310188091.png

Hello i am not great on forums cant seem to find what i am looking for or how to start a conversation.
My query is advice on a trickle charger can anybody advise. My Fiat Ducato Hobby optima premium (2019) is parked outside the house we dont use it at all or very very seldom in the winter. I plug her into the mains every 8 to 10 days and charge the leisure and the vehicle battery. Both charge fully after approx 1 to 2 days.
There is a leisure battery isolator switch but i never turn it off.
I am wondering would i be better off with a trickle charger if so what kind etc etc any help on this would be greatly received.
I recently had to get my Airbag E.C.U. re programmed successfully thank god i didnt have to buy a new one.
Somebody mentioned as a result of a drop in battery power probably caused the fault in the unit.
Hence my enquiry regarding trickle charger
Any advice please
If you can have permanent hookup, get a smart charger. Doesn't have to be a powerful one.

Ctek is the name brand, but a cheap one from Lidl will do as well - or better!

Leave it connected 24/7. Don't forget that you have two sets of batteries: buying two smart chargers is cheaper than a fancy maintainer to share the charge.

While you're at it, consider a low power oil-filled heater with a frost stat. Set it to a low temperature to keep frost away.

Turn it up five degrees per day over the days just before a trip away, so the van warms through without condensation issues.

Ebay is full of them, some will charge 2 as they have 2 outlets, or you can rig up a pos jumper wire to link all batts up.chargers.jpgmantanence chrager.jpgnewmax.jpgsmart ch.jpg

Thank you for that. If i get one what battery do i charge with it. The leisure battery is under the passenger seat and awkward to get at or would i charge the main vehicle battery which is more easily accessible. Also would it be of any benefit to swich off the leisure batteries with the isolator switch
Thanks

Thank you for that. If i get one what battery do i charge with it. The leisure battery is under the passenger seat and awkward to get at or would i charge the main vehicle battery which is more easily accessible. Also would it be of any benefit to swich off the leisure batteries with the isolator switch
Thanks
run a fused wire or one with a switch between hab and starter battery, so the charger will charge them all if connected to any of them, my numax is fixed within the van and works of the hookup plug, i have a swirch to connect them all up for charging.

Thank you for that. If i get one what battery do i charge with it.
Which are you worried about goimg flat?

The leisure battery is under the passenger seat and awkward to get at
You can connect a trickle charger to any point that's powered by the leisure battery.
or would i charge the main vehicle battery which is more easily accessible.
Why not both?
Also would it be of any benefit to swich off the leisure batteries with the isolator switch
What is switched off by that switch?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back