Trade Vs retail

sydnsue

Can anyone tell me how the trade price compares with retail price. If a motorhome is selling on Autotrader for around £30,000 what would the trade price be?

Can anyone tell me how the trade price compares with retail price. If a motorhome is selling on Autotrader for around £30,000 what would the trade price be?
Advertised prices don’t mean the price achieved, lots of stuff advertised won’t reach what an owner thinks it will. Of course in times of high demand you can get more than you ask for so it does vary. I think currently though it’s more a buyers market if caravans are anything to go by, a lot of the big manufacturers around Hull and most, if not all, have laid staff off and have fields of ne vans waiting to sell.

I know this doesn’t answer your trade in question but I don’t think there is a proper answer. Trade in you need to look at the complete package as you may be getting extras and warranty’s on whatever it is you are buying. Doesn’t really matter what price is offered it’s what you have to pay to get what you want, if deal is good then go for it, if not walk away.

Or are you looking for a private sale price?

The former Alan Kerr Sales Manager has recently opened his own Motorhome Business in the West Country. He indicated in 2021 that the Trade V Retail margin needed to stay in business and offer a quality service with back up that will be there when you need it, was £8,000. He hasn't indicated any change of thinking, as far as I'm aware, since starting his new business

Steve

And it should be remembered that whatever the difference is between the price they bought the motorhome in for and the price they are selling it at, 20% of that difference (taking into accounts costs of any fixing) will go straight to the revenue as VAT and not to the dealer so that will be an immediate reduction of his apparent profit.

I know when I was looking for a new (to me) Motorhome, I put a deposit on an Autotrail Mohican at the agreed price, but there was also a 'snagging list' of stuff to be done to it (within the agreed price) that was fairly extensive and that would have eaten to the dealers profit for sure. In the end, didn't buy as taking too long to sort (covid delays) and bought privately instead.
You spend multiple tens of thousands on a vehicle from a dealer, you expect everything to work - and that costs them money.
You buy from a private individual and you expect to have to do bits and pieces to get it faultless - and that costs you money.

I should have explained it better. I am selling my sister's motorhome as she is disabled and finds it too much for her. It is a Compass Avantgarde 130. On Autotrader the dealers are selling 2009 models for 28k to 31k. Hers is 2008 so I reckon around 25k retail. I have a dealer interested but he is yet to view it so I am wondering what an acceptable trade price should be. I have also heard dealers reckon on 8k per exchange deal but this is purchase only for the dealer so I expect 4k below his selling price. I reckon it should be worth 20k minimum which would give him a 5k profit or more

When a dealer takes a trade in the vehicle will be inspected damp etc ,the cost of repairs will be deducted from trade in price ,

I should have explained it better. I am selling my sister's motorhome as she is disabled and finds it too much for her. It is a Compass Avantgarde 130. On Autotrader the dealers are selling 2009 models for 28k to 31k. Hers is 2008 so I reckon around 25k retail. I have a dealer interested but he is yet to view it so I am wondering what an acceptable trade price should be. I have also heard dealers reckon on 8k per exchange deal but this is purchase only for the dealer so I expect 4k below his selling price. I reckon it should be worth 20k minimum which would give him a 5k profit or more
100% correct, dealers need that sort of money below price so they can keep the doors open, i would just sell on ebay or f book a few g below dealer price and see how it goes, lots of demand so hang on for a good price.

I agree with Trev, sell on ebay everytime, £20 ish for a month classified ad, take plenty of pictures including damage if any, and make it sound a fun thing to do, pictures in nice places always work better, mention any and all extras fitted and if it will have a new MOT.

Update: the dealer agreed it would retail at 27k and he offered 22k which I thought was reasonable but he wanted to take the van but only pay me the money after sale. I decided too risky. Only a small company.

Update: the dealer agreed it would retail at 27k and he offered 22k which I thought was reasonable but he wanted to take the van but only pay me the money after sale. I decided too risky. Only a small company.
I would expect you could achieve £22k privately fairly quickly, but I think given the time of year, get it advertised the sooner the better...

If yours is compatible with the 28k ones I would list around that for the first month at least and be prepared for offers a little lower as you will always get bids at any price you list at

You may consider that as greedy, but I would want to achieve the best price possible and if it has no faults then that's its worth, if it has any faults you could fix them first for a guilt free sale.

Up until this van we have now I was buying and selling at least one a year to pay the cost of owning one, so I'm not inexperienced, I would still be doing so but fitness has overtaken me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back