Travel with a Dog

If I'd thought it was likely I'd have a serious accident, not only would the dog have stayed home, but I'd have stayed home with him. As it turned out, he survived travelling for the whole of his life without even a minor bump.
The whole point about accidents is that they are unpredictable, and even if you are totally confident that you will never plough into anything at 60mph, do you really believe that you can prevent anyone ploughing into you at 60mph?

Accidents make me think of my late father. He had been driving for70 years. Never had an accident was his favourite saying. I used to think. No but you have caused 100s. Drifting across lanes roundabouts going straight across lanes etc. So yes you can never predict an accident.

I'd be somewhat worried about the loading on those snap shackles in particular.
Why, please? Not challenging your statement, I am just concerned about safety. I should add, the dog is only 8 kilos.

Accidents make me think of my late father. He had been driving for70 years. Never had an accident was his favourite saying. I used to think. No but you have caused 100s. Drifting across lanes roundabouts going straight across lanes etc. So yes you can never predict an accident.
My MIL never had an accident but she witnessed a lot in her rear view mirror;)

Why, please? Not challenging your statement, I am just concerned about safety. I should add, the dog is only 8 kilos.
I'm no expert in calculations regarding loads in vehicle accidents, but my understanding is that in a high-speed collision you can multiply the dog's 8kg many times over. See https://www.k9ofmine.com/best-dog-harnesses-for-car-travel/ for example. The snap shackles appear to be relatively cheap ones that might fail under the loadings resulting from a serious impact. The wire closing them looks like a particular weak point, but the main part of the shackle might also deform or fracture, depending on how it is made.
I have no idea what effect the system might have on the seat belt fixings to which it is mounted; it is possible that forces might be exerted in directions not anticipated in the design calculations.
As a minimum, I would consider heavy-duty shackles specifically designed for safety applications, perhaps along the lines of https://www.marinesuperstore.com/lifejackets-buoyancy-aids/safety-lines/seago-safety-lines (though I do not know what impact loadings these are designed to withstand).
I would also very carefully examine the webbing that you use. Unless very well stitched, these have been known to fail.

Have you seen any of the north American tests on dog harnesses? You may find these of interest:

Use the rear of the drivers seat or passenger seat as an anchor point which it surely is and secure some kind of fixing so that the harness can be attached.

my daughters collie when we took her out in our van was trying to burrow down between the pedals so it’s important to stop them coming past the seat molly has a chest harness fixed to a lead allows movement but her preferred position is head between the seats so lead at full stretch , had a french policeman in the cab at st omer gave the lead a couple of strong yanks and was satisfied

Aside from the legal stance there is the dogs safety, do not secure your dog by the collar as any impact would put strain on their neck area, use a body harness and secure to somewhere substantial. A side issue is in the event of an accident a restrained dog cannot run off or be as much a threat to any rescuers.

Good morning, newbie to this site here and relatively newbie motorhomer too. Question please, we have a dog that travels well and no problem in the MH, the trouble is we are being told that he must be restrained. Happy to do this, but we only have 2 seatbelts (2 berth van) and no room for a crate for him, at best he would be very squashed in one, being a labrador. Help ! Any other way to keep him safe and us? We have been told there is a fine if we are stopped and he is not restrained in any way. Many thanks.
Hi there!
I also travel with my black lab. She is a service dog so rules are slightly different fo her. However, I leave her harness on and she is secured with a short lead in the back of the van to a secure point. She is able to get to me but only so her nose can touch me. It is law to restrain, but I believe this can be done using a herness and lead rather than the fancy over priced seatbelts, more suited to car travel. This is my oppinion and understanding. Hope this helps but do double check the current highway code as it seems to change every other week! 😉

Our dog sits between us with no
Issues, I Think if we restrained him he would become a real Pain. I don’t see any problems with a dog sitting in the front of the van. You could always clip a lead on him and attach it to something and leave it loose they would comply he’s restrained.

Our dog sits between us with no
Issues, I Think if we restrained him he would become a real Pain. I don’t see any problems with a dog sitting in the front of the van. You could always clip a lead on him and attach it to something and leave it loose they would comply he’s restrained.
You could probably teach him to play Russian roulette as well, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Hi there!
I also travel with my black lab. She is a service dog so rules are slightly different fo her. However, I leave her harness on and she is secured with a short lead in the back of the van to a secure point. She is able to get to me but only so her nose can touch me. It is law to restrain, but I believe this can be done using a herness and lead rather than the fancy over priced seatbelts, more suited to car travel. This is my oppinion and understanding. Hope this helps but do double check the current highway code as it seems to change every other week! 😉
It isn’t expensive, as I posted earlier (post #17) all you need is a seat belt extender and a lead that clips to the dogs harness. Under £10 just bolt through the metal clip into passenger seat base.

A lab will weigh about 20 to 30Kg unless a bit overweight.
Erm not necessarily! I have a pure pedigree Drakeshead Black Labrador and at 3 years old he weighs in at 35kg and is in perfect health and just had his yearly check/vaccinations (see photo). He is far from overweight as DH's are field trial dogs and tend to have longer legs. We have an excellent RuffWear travel harness (not cheap but incredibly well made by a company owned by climbers) - you can get from this excellent company - https://www.mountaindog.uk/collections/harnesses?page=2 . We have a T5 conversion and he travels behind drivers seat on his bed with a climbing strop attached to the steel bed leg of the R&R bed and then caribiner attached to the harness. He has enough room to move around and travels incredibly well - sometimes for 5 hrs at a go. The harness and strop will stop him moving forward in event of an accident and also stops him escaping when we stop and open side door.

20200717_183918.jpg

Those clips won't hold; they'll break instantly with any dog over 12kg and the elasticated part is a no no - you're simply extending the distance the dog would be moving in. If you really like your dog then spend decent money and get a good harness that not only stops dog flying forward or sideways but also protects the dog itself. The one I use by Ruff Wear is made from quality climbing harness materials as is the caribener and strop.

It isn’t expensive, as I posted earlier (post #17) all you need is a seat belt extender and a lead that clips to the dogs harness. Under £10 just bolt through the metal clip into passenger seat base.

Oh dear - never buy safety stuff off eBay............ I can't see how something costing £1.99 will ever hold your pet in an accident!!!!!!

Oh dear - never buy safety stuff off eBay............ I can't see how something costing £1.99 will ever hold your pet in an accident!!!!!!
I suggest you buy one and inspect it yourself before making statements like that 👍

I sourced a car safety belt from a vehicle breakers for a tenner.
i put a suitable anchorage point in the side facing seat carcass and cut down the seat belt to suit and fixed it to the anchorage point. A purpose-made dog’s vehicle harness already had the female side of a safety belt included and clips straight onto the male side of the installed belt.
when not n use it’s hidden under the seat cushion.

Reactions: Rec
I suggest you buy one and inspect it yourself before making statements like that 👍
Don't need to. The ad say's nothing about having been tested and even suggests safe to use on a collar!!!!!! Only found one of similar design to attach to seat belt slot and that has been crash tested and was £24 with a carabiner tested to 15kN (1500kg).

Don't need to. The ad say's nothing about having been tested and even suggests safe to use on a collar!!!!!! Only found one of similar design to attach to seat belt slot and that has been crash tested and was £24 with a carabiner tested to 15kN (1500kg).
Who would try to restrain a dog by its collar in a vehicle. Try reading all the thread. As happens all too often here it looks like a blanket approach again. A lot of us have small (light) dogs and do not need to restrain 1500kg force. Jog on and don’t bother replying to me I can get trolled okay on Facebook thanks.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back