TV Signal Finder

Kontiki

TV Signal Finder

I find that sometimes it takes time trying to find a good signal, my method if there were no aerials around to see vaguely which direction to point it, hopefully I would get something then use the TV signal strength to fine tune. Occasionally if the signal is weak it can take a bit of fiddling. I bought a signal finder which you connect between your aerial & the TV, but my aerial connects to a booster using the F type screw connectors & I didn't fancy having to keep undoing it to fit the finder then take it out afterwards. My booster has a second output for another TV & I had the thought of connecting it to the finder permanently. I rang the tech support of the signal finder who told me that it probably wouldn't work, this isn't the case though. I connected it up & found I could adjust the power going to the signal from the control on the booster. I would turn until I got at least one of the lights flickering then by turning the aerial until I had a good solid light. You can tweak the signal strength going to the finder by small adjustments on the booster. On the few times I have tried it out I found it works fine.

I've got the status directional aerial fitted with signal booster which has the traffic light led to tell you when you are locked on to the strongest digital signal.I just turn the aerial pole until the led goes green.In practice it's still possible to get plenty of programmes even on the orange led.
If you are just using a directional aerial with no booster then there are several smartphone apps that will tell you which direction to point it wherever you are in the UK.Here's one of them..........
https://www.appbrain.com/app/uk-aerial-alignment/uk.co.crazyhatter.aerialalign

I have a status. Aerial which is rubbish sometimes. I use the signal meter in the tv to tell me which is the best direction to point

Id stay at home if wanting tv,mind i never watch as its s--t ,chewing gum for the eyes.:White_Thumbs_Down_S

trevskoda;n14792 said:
Id stay at home if wanting tv,
I wish I had known you could just stay at home to watch TV, I could have saved myself £45.000 for the van, £500 for the sat system, £120 for the terrestrial aerial, £500 for set top boxes and £200 for the TV, I thought you could only watch it in a motorhome, do you have any links to TV at home?

sarcastic.jpg

I haven't been impressed with the status aerial, could probably get as much from the simple loop aerial. On my TV I have to choose a channel to be able to use the on screen signal strength, this is ok if you find at least one channel. I've had it where the signal is too weak to pick up unless you get the aerial in the correct direction. Doing it using the signal finder you can fine tune the correct position by adjusting the power on the booster also I was able to leave the booster connected to the TV2 output from the booster.
Which I'd know I could have stayed at home to watch TV could have saved a fortune as well.

I think the status aerial is rubbish too. The booster rarely shows anything more than a red led even when we have a signal.
it also amazes me how many different directions and orientation other folks aerials are pointing on the same site. Must be looking at different tv masts, so looking at what others are doing doesn't always help, better if there are houses nearby I think.
I use an app ( UK Aerial Alignment) to locate the strongest signal but sometimes need to remove the phone from its protective case ( magnetic catch) and take it outside for the compass to work properly.
but generally it's more likely to be the remote places we stop at ( sheep don't watch TV :rolleyes:) in which case, until it gets dark, who needs tv anyway?

K ?

Hi,
I've got another app on my smartphone called Freepoint uk

It works best if your phone has an inbuilt compass and costs £1 a year. You can use your location or select a campsite, CL or CS and it also shows which direction to point the satellite dish if you have a portable one as we use very occasionally.

Steve

I`ve had one of these for over 10 years now and it`s works perfectly for both TV and Satellite https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Satellit...-1-/390265757649?_trksid=p2349526.m2548.l4275

Not cheap but works very very well.

Hi Wooie,
I realise that I am responding to a very old post, but wondered if you are still happy with your Fringe electronics signal finder.
I've already tried the cheaper ones, and they don't seem to work in low signal situations (which is exactly when you need them the most).
Regards,
Paul

Hi Wooie,
I realise that I am responding to a very old post, but wondered if you are still happy with your Fringe electronics signal finder.
I've already tried the cheaper ones, and they don't seem to work in low signal situations (which is exactly when you need them the most).
Regards,
Paul

Hi Paul, i`ve had it for over 10 years now and it still works perfectly for both DTV and Satellite.

I change the battery every couple of years and that keeps it working great (y)

Hi Paul, i`ve had it for over 10 years now and it still works perfectly for both DTV and Satellite.

I change the battery every couple of years and that keeps it working great (y)

Hi Wooie,

I've bought myself a Fringe, given it a try while parked up at home, and it looks very promising.

Just need to try it in a field somewhere, so I can attempt to find a signal from scratch.

Regards,

Paul

Hi,
I've got another app on my smartphone called Freepoint uk

It works best if your phone has an inbuilt compass and costs £1 a year. You can use your location or select a campsite, CL or CS and it also shows which direction to point the satellite dish if you have a portable one as we use very occasionally.

Steve

I use the Freepoint app too. It works well, although it needs a phone signal or wifi to work best. And if there's no signal or wifi, there's probably no tv either... Read a book. TV's rubbish anyway nowadays. But that's for another forum...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back