Under-chassis storage

Rockburner

Under-chassis storage

I've seen a couple of articles recently in magazines about creating 'under-chassis' storage mounting points, but wondered if anyone here has ever done it?

I'd be especially curious about any work done to a PVC rather than a coachbuilt. We'll be getting a Ducato based conversion - so the chassis will be pretty much standard.

If anyone has done it - how dirty do things get? I can imagine them getting pretty crusty during winter!

I had thought about this for a second toilet cassette, but it's actually pretty 'busy' under the van, and not easy to access. So never bothered...

by the time you got spare wheel gas tank.water tank, waste tank , step, there isnt a lot of room left oh forgot heater exhaust

oldish hippy;n7073 said:
by the time you got spare wheel gas tank.water tank, waste tank , step, there isnt a lot of room left oh forgot heater exhaust

On the van we're buying the clean water is within the body, but it's a 6m van so even with the spare and the grey water tank there's a fair bit of space between the rails and the dropped edge of the body in areas. I suppose it depends on the way the van was converted and by whom.

I'm certainly hoping to get an LPG tank fitted at some point, but a spare cassette, or even something for a couple of items (eg outdoor chairs) would be useful.

when i was down south having beenyboxes fitted a few years ago, he had a PVC in that he was trying to fit a couple of drawers to don’t know how successful it was and unfortunately paul the owner had a heart attack don’t know whether anyone has taken the business on,

Rockburner;n7060 said:
I've seen a couple of articles recently in magazines about creating 'under-chassis' storage mounting points, but wondered if anyone here has ever done it?

I'd be especially curious about any work done to a PVC rather than a coachbuilt. We'll be getting a Ducato based conversion - so the chassis will be pretty much standard.

If anyone has done it - how dirty do things get? I can imagine them getting pretty crusty during winter!

Unless a iveco over 3.5t there will be no chassis as its monocock setup as all cars/light vans

i am considering the option of undervan storage. there is space between the side step and the rear axle. on my van there is an option to fit extra water tank here , so it must be possible. just have to look into the way to hang a couple of sand ladders 1m x 220mm wide

well having been under my van there isnt a lot of space left and it is a boxer 2003

At one time in the early '80s, I stripped asbestos and had to carry 50kg rolls of DPM polythene for creating enclosures. 8 of these on the roof, along with other equipment made the Merc 508D roll :eek: like the naval vessels on which we often worked :eek:.
My colleague and I decided in a quiet moment to lower the CofG by placing them under the floor [also, other teams never thought to look there when helping themselves to my kit].
We initially created a plywood platform hinged and suspended by nylon rope, and it worked well, apart from collecting road dirt, but the ply did stop most of it.
We then created ''soft boxes'' to snuggle up against the chassis and these kept everything clean.
Once this was successful, we then created more storage for much of the more robust items, including the grey water [never could stop the drain tap leaking once on the road], gas, clean water [in-built shower for decontamination] and other items.
With planning, it is surprising what can be stored, my '79 Bedford coach-built has had Dzus fastenings fitted to its skirts to enable easy access to the areas between the chassis and the outer bodywork. There is space for 2x100 litre gas tanks [releasing a kitchen unit sized space inside the body], spare wheel, tow-bar and 2 areas of around 1000x600 mm for storage lockers to take picnic chairs, etc. and more.
I have also replaced the black rubber rubbing strake on the lower bodyside with plastic conduit and run the renewed utilities through these, it saves grovelling under the thing sorting wires, camera feeds,plumbing etc., the conduit being 50x25mm. Oh, missing bumpers have been replaced using 100x100mm box conduit with enclosure plugs to seal the ends.

Of course, as with any additional storage, the vehicle's max weights and distribution must be observed.
Also, consideration of leisure clothing staying clean in adverse weather etc must be weighed into the equation when planning what to do, work clothes did not matter in the '80s :Tongue_Out_Emoji_wi
Hope this helps
Pete

Looking at this post

Unless a iveco over 3.5t there will be no chassis as its monocock setup as all cars/light vans

It is only [nearly] correct if an assumption is made.

Not all of us run new chassis/van base units.
Monocoque designs can also have underfloor storage, subject to floor height and depth of bodywork, the volume available merely varies

trevskoda;n7689 said:
Thats what i just said.please read again.

I'm afraid that is not what you just said!
What you said was this "Unless a iveco [sic] over 3.5t there will be no chassis as its monocock [sic] setup as all cars/light vans" which i read as needing to be an Iveco over 3.5t to have a separate chassis. Of course if there had been some appropriate punctuation.....

This is what under chassis storage is for.............................. mercedez-caravan-2.jpg

Very disappointing storage system. No 26 year old Beautiful Model type included with the red car!

She has just stepped out of the shower-dripping wet and is pouring the ice cold beer and calling me in! Then I woke up! Bugger!!

:Sleeping_Emoji: :Margarita_Cocktail_ :Heart_Eyes_Emoji: :Flushed_Face_Emoji: :Loudly_Crying_Face_

JoeHymer;n8160 said:
:Sleeping_Emoji: :Margarita_Cocktail_ :Heart_Eyes_Emoji: :Flushed_Face_Emoji: :Loudly_Crying_Face_

:Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign.

I wouldn’t want to store under the van floor (on the outside) due to aces issues ie kneeling down under a van. A water tank would be a different issue.

Rockburner;n7060 said:

If you cut a hole in the floor and attach a box protruding downward no lower than the chassis bottom, in my case 75% of the two leisure batteries are now below floor level and the 3 inches are incorporated into the cupboard (removable floor) above.
You do have to draw an accurate plan of underside to transpose topside, mark out with masking tape topside.
There are no fixings underneath it drops in from above and is bonded in place sealing it all together.
Just the same as fitting a floor safe only its not welded or bolted in place.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back