Useful Info for Victron Fans - PIN Numbers

wildebus

Just about anyone who is a Victron user will be familiar with putting in the 6 zeros when connecting to a Bluetooth enabled device for the first time.

Well, it seems times might be changing .... I was just checking a new Victron Orion-Tr Smart B2B and it refused to connect. Most Annoying!
Looking at the labels supplied, it looks like Victron are now supplying a non-000000 PIN number with these Orions. There is actually a PIN number supplied with the PUK label and also a PIN number on a label stuck on the side of the Charger.
Using this printed 6 digit PIN I could connect successfully.

I am not sure how long Victron have been doing this (never got a non-000000 device supplied before), or how widespread this practice is/will be. I got a Victron SmartSolar MPPT at the same time and that was still at the usual 6 zeros default.

So just a heads up if you get a new Bluetooth enabled device and you can't connect ... check for labels with a PIN number on it. (These PINs are apparently generated randomly so if you did have a brand new Victron setup I could envisage every device possibly having a different PIN! Well, it is one way Victron can make sure people really DO reset the PINs to something else :D )

Good, but not because security, it prompts you to change on first use anyway right? Good because people change and then forget the code I bet 🤣

Good, but not because security, it prompts you to change on first use anyway right? Good because people change and then forget the code I bet 🤣
yes it prompts you.... but how many people do? I NEVER change it at that point.

Like car radio codes, next buyer does not get them and the first time a battery is disconected you are goosed.
no car radios do that nowadays. You are really living in the past there!
You do get some radios that are encoded to the VIN number of the car, so they are not affected by battery disconnection but cannot be moved to another vehicle without a reset by the car maker or dealer. That is a good system and makes the radios pointless to steal.

Going back on topic, with Victron kit, if you don't know the PIN, then you can reset the PIN number by entering the PUK number that comes with the devices.
If you don't have the PIN number OR the PUK number, then you can provide the Serial Number of the device to your Victron Dealer and they can retrieve the PUK from Victron Energy.

no car radios do that nowadays. You are really living in the past there!
You do get some radios that are encoded to the VIN number of the car, so they are not affected by battery disconnection but cannot be moved to another vehicle without a reset by the car maker or dealer. That is a good system and makes the radios pointless to steal.

Going back on topic, with Victron kit, if you don't know the PIN, then you can reset the PIN number by entering the PUK number that comes with the devices.
If you don't have the PIN number OR the PUK number, then you can provide the Serial Number of the device to your Victron Dealer and they can retrieve the PUK from Victron Energy.
I got the PIN instruction from the Solar App, David. The Android Video told me to unpair the phone, change the PIN (did so voluntarily) and to then re-pair it, so that the App could continue talking to each other as they have done for almost 3 years ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve

I got the PIN instruction from the Solar App, David. The Android Video told me to unpair the phone, change the PIN (did so voluntarily) and to then re-pair it, so that the App could continue talking to each other as they have done for almost 3 years ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve
You had to have the old pin in order to change in though.
If you were to unpair first, you could not change the pin could you as you would no longer be connected :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back