Van insurance

Safeguard. I’ve been with them for many years and they were the only brokers able to get me insurance for my new Hymer. I tried several others, including AIB, who were all unable to provide cover.

Reactions: GMJ
Safeguard for us but there getting expensive. So look around next year ..

Safeguard. I’ve been with them for many years and they were the only brokers able to get me insurance for my new Hymer. I tried several others, including AIB, who were all unable to provide cover.
If a whole raft of brokers were unable to provide cover, you must have some very specific and unusual requirements or circumstances given many people seem to get quotations and cover no problem from just about anyone.

Who do you insure with?

Currently with AIB.
Something to note with AIB ... they provide policies both WITH NCD and WITHOUT NCD. If you go for a policy WITHOUT NCD, then you can run the risk of losing any Automatic NCD years you have after a couple of years as they would not send the usual Proof Letter at the renewal time.

I found Comfort good value if you need Business Cover as it is included as standard.

I use to use A-Plan for years on various VW Camper Conversions as they have a specific team of people who understand the VW 'Scene' and tailor quotes accordingly (I used to get extra cover included when trading at VW Shows for example).

@wildebus - my new Hymer ain’t cheap, £140k, fitted with a tracker and is parked on the road as at 7.4m it is 0.5m too long to go on my driveway. Other than that there’s nothing unusual, no accidents, claims convictions etc. Just shy of £1600 fully comp.

@wildebus - my new Hymer ain’t cheap, £140k, fitted with a tracker and is parked on the road as at 7.4m it is 0.5m too long to go on my driveway. Other than that there’s nothing unusual, no accidents, claims convictions etc. Just shy of £1600 fully comp.
All the usual suspects can't find an underwriter? oh well.

Went with local brokers this year, Lexham in Diss. Saved £100 on renewal with previous one...(? Peter Best)

Another vote for Safeguard here. As part of the cover they provide full European breakdown/repatriation cover for our MH which is 8.7m long and 5t. Been with them for a few years now and always come in cheapest each year for us.

Last edited:
we have been with comfort for 15 years now just renewed £303plus £73 uk & European breakdown cover we like them because they only insure campers/motorhomes . our m/h to buy on the forecourt would be about £60,000 / 8.11m long but it had to have an alarm or tracker we went for a tracker got sick of alarms going off for no reason .cheyenne

Thank you all, will investigate. Caravan Guard want 150odd more than last year. Quoted well over £600.

NFU Mutual. No tracker or alarm requirements for our new £81k van, good price, replaced with new if stolen/written off for first 2years. No European recovery, but Nationwide Flex plus covers that free.

You are not trying.van window.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back