VAT Refunds

Don't you also need to pay UK VAT on those purchases when you bring them in? Unless bought in a 'tax-free zone' like Canaries or Channel Islands? (not been abroad for ages so lost track of rules :( )

Many years ago we went on a cruise to the Caribbean islands. 25th wedding anniversary. We each bought a Breitling watch, as they were about half the price of what we would pay here.
On arrival back at Gatport Airwick I thought we are nice honest people so we went into the red corner. No one there, as it was 05:30 hrs. A notice said 'if the desk isn't attended please dial 0 on the telephone'. So that's what I did. The snoring from the other end subsided and he groaned "what do you want?"
"We brought a couple of Breitling watches in the caribbean"
"Are you wearing them?"
"Yes"
"Well, they are second hand then, we aren't interested. Go home"

Edit:
More recently on visits particularly to Norway we bought a few innocuous things like nice warm outdoor coats, and provided you buy them at the port shop they deduct the VAT at the point of sale.

Anybody aware of Skiptax.com for Vat refunds on purchases made on the continent?
yes we have been out a few years now think its because of the B word but since then a lot of cheap booze supermarkets around Calais has closed because no more booze cruises . our favorite was pidou at Calais NOW closed but they still have 2 more places at marck & Dunkirk . we was there on our way home after wintering in Spain & always call going & coming hence a heft payload :ROFLMAO: & they always ask if we want to take a form to get the vat back but we never bother seams to much hassle to me anyway we get a good discount . cheyenne

DSC01877.JPGScreenshot 2023-08-05 131701.pngScreenshot 2023-08-05 131857.png

Don't know about Skiptax, we've used Global Blue in France, worked OK but the refund took a while.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back