Well that is a first.

Topmast

My van has been parked up for about ten days admittedly in pretty high temperatures but walking past it today one of the rear tyres was flat when I put the compressor on I found the valve stem had split to the extent I was unable to get any air into the tyre, as both tyres were replaced last year and both valves renewed at the same time I can see no reason for this . Is it possible that the heat was so great that it increased the pressure enough to burst the valve? Admittedly I left the wheel brace beside the van in the sun and burnt my hand quite badly when I went to replace the wheel.Todays temperature was around 100 degrees.

Dependant on your base vehicle but normally if originally made as a motorhome, the valves fitted originally will have been metal valves.
They are fitted as standard to enable the higher pressures recommended by the manufacturers.
Many tyre replacement establishment will not be sufficiently aware of the need for steel valves and will simply remove and replace with rubber ones that are intended for lighter vehicles.
There are rubber valves that are specified for higher pressures but not too readily available and I'm sure many tyre fitters will not be aware of the need.

Yes should be metal valves over 60 psi 4 for around a fiver on ebay

I have had that happen to me over here a friend made me covers for the tires ever since them its been ok

Thanks everyone .
I asked at the tyre depot about metal valves but was told they never used them and this was one of the big outfits. It is impossible to park with all four wheels in the shade so will makeup some covers

"They never used them"...I would be very wary of such an outfit...no matter how big....even my local small town businesses know how and when to fit the correct valves!
Sorry to say but this is Portugal in some respects we are still in the dark ages! .

Sorry to say but this is Portugal in some respects we are still in the dark ages! .
Maybe, but they will almost have certainly have had to remove the steel valves to fit the car rubber ones.

I've no knowledge to back up this suggestion but I'm pretty sure that many "tyre fitters" will not have much in the way of proper training for all elements of the job they are doing, just sufficient to enable them to make as much money as possible for either themselves or the organisation they are working for.

I
Maybe, but they will almost have certainly have had to remove the steel valves to fit the car rubber ones.

I've no knowledge to back up this suggestion but I'm pretty sure that many "tyre fitters" will not have much in the way of proper training for all elements of the job they are doing, just sufficient to enable them to make as much money as possible for either themselves or the organisation they are working for.
I totally agree and it always makes me smile to watch these boys with their latest equipment, when I think back about forty years to remove a tyre from the rim we had a big hammer and two tyre levers,if it still wouldn’t move we drove another vehicle on to the edge of the tyre.I still have two sets of levers with the Dunlop name stamped on them .Also when you finished at the end of the day you were black now the fitters look like office workers.I am sure if you gave a set of levers to most fitters they wouldn’t know what to do with them.I know I shouldn’t live in the past , it’s an age thing.

The Mercedes factory fitted all-rubber valves on my 6.6t van, MB recommend 66psi tyre pressures on
the van. All-rubber valves are generally accepted to be suitable for up to 60psi. Naughty Mercedes it
seems. After 3 years I replaced them with so called Transit van valves, brass stem rubber seal good for
up to 100psi. Renew them every few years, fit them myself just for the exercise!

A big tyre co here fitted my rear tyres and used rubber necks ,and when i ask they said no need for metal,mind you i keep my tyres at 60psi but the teck on the walls says 80psi,but im running light.

A big tyre co here fitted my rear tyres and used rubber necks ,and when i ask they said no need for metal,mind you i keep my tyres at 60psi but the teck on the walls says 80psi,but im running light.

Could be some tyre fitters are lazy Trev....surprisingly! they prefer to squeeze in a mushroom head car
type rubber valve from the outside, because they don't fancy breaking a bead or removing the tyre.

Could be some tyre fitters are lazy Trev....surprisingly! they prefer to squeeze in a mushroom head car
type rubber valve from the outside, because they don't fancy breaking a bead or removing the tyre.
True but in the end i had to fit valve extenders along with the second wheel clips as my van is double back wheels.

Should have said 'dangerously' lazy tyrefitters. I had a couple of tyres renewed years ago
the valves were supposed to be changed as is standard practise, the bastard just wiped
them probably with an oily rag looked shiney & new. Few weeks later a loud pop nearly gave
a friend standing nearby a heart attack a valve had blown, surprisingly the van had been
parked up for days wasn,t rolling at the time. Since then I decided to fit my own valves
and if I have the opportunity I fit my own tyres. Have to get the fronts balanced at a
fitters sometimes but usually at a place I trust in Spain.

Should have said 'dangerously' lazy tyrefitters. I had a couple of tyres renewed years ago
the valves were supposed to be changed as is standard practise, the bastard just wiped
them probably with an oily rag looked shiney & new. Few weeks later a loud pop nearly gave
a friend standing nearby a heart attack a valve had blown, surprisingly the van had been
parked up for days wasn,t rolling at the time. Since then I decided to fit my own valves
and if I have the opportunity I fit my own tyres. Have to get the fronts balanced at a
fitters sometimes but usually at a place I trust in Spain.
Reminds me of when we used to balance them on the car by turning all the brake adjustments back then spinning the wheel and fitting weights at the high spot of where the wheel stopped,not perfect but in those days it was better than nothing.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back