"WRITE OFF" Advice

Merlin099284

Just wondered if anybody could give any advice on Write Offs. We were on the back of a recovery lorry and the driver hit a low bridge with our fairly old, (02 plate) m/home. Its going to written off as the damage is in excess of 10K. The company have accepted full responsibility.
The problem is its just been MOT with no advisories, new tyres all round, new gear box 2020, solar panels and many nice refinements. Do these things add to the value for insurance purposes
Having never been in this position before, am I entering a mine field, do I need legal advice, or have I just got to accept what I can get?
David

Sorry to hear that David.

I would request the value of the extras as you will buy a van without them fitted (of course) and incur the cost of getting back to where you were, refuse any offer that doesn't give you that.

New tyres etc are not included or new MOT as you will have needed those to keep on the road, only extras fitted, not necessarily by you, just on the van

As for legal advice, you possibly already have that via the van's insurance or your house insurance.

Just wondered if anybody could give any advice on Write Offs. We were on the back of a recovery lorry and the driver hit a low bridge with our fairly old, (02 plate) m/home. Its going to written off as the damage is in excess of 10K. The company have accepted full responsibility.
The problem is its just been MOT with no advisories, new tyres all round, new gear box 2020, solar panels and many nice refinements. Do these things add to the value for insurance purposes
Having never been in this position before, am I entering a mine field, do I need legal advice, or have I just got to accept what I can get?
David
The recovery company are surely liable to compensate you for what you have lost ?
Nothing to do with your van insurance, totally separate issue ?
Not a lawyer but I would speak to one

Good point.

Look for prices of similar to what you have lost as you are going to have to replace with like for like, id show invoices for what you have spent recently. I had a pickup written off and the insurance inspector noted that new tyres had been fitted also that I had fitted a new canopy.
I had a motorcycle stolen years ago and sitting in the insurance company they were offering a rediculously low price, I asked why this was so he then proceeded to state wear and tear on an old motorcycle. Then I pulled out the rabbit from the hat and threw him a bundle of reciepts, I had not long since restored the bike I then said I will acceopt his offer and he could add the total amount spent on the bike. We eventually came to an agreement.

Sorry to hear that David.

I would request the value of the extras as you will buy a van without them fitted (of course) and incur the cost of getting back to where you were, refuse any offer that doesn't give you that.

New tyres etc are not included or new MOT as you will have needed those to keep on the road, only extras fitted, not necessarily by you, just on the van

As for legal advice, you possibly already have that via the van's insurance or your house insurance.
Ref the MOT aspect, just as an "FYI" and a "FWIW", Had a car written off around 13 years ago, shortly after an MOT and some work carried out that was identified as an Advisory, as opposed to needing to be done due to a Fail.
The Insurance assessor agreed that the cost of this work was would be added to the vehicle valuation as it was not needed for the vehicle to remain roadworthy.

2002 might be pretty old for a car and the value would likely be very low. But a 2002 Motorhome still has significant value so I would not accept a low-ball offer by any means.

@Merlin099284
Are you working with your own insurance company to manage the claim if so have they appointed a loss adjuster yet because if the recovery companies insurance is paying for your loss then your insurers loss adjuster should be working in your behalf.

if your own insurer is not helping then you are perfectly entitled to engage a third party claim manager.

loads if them out there if you look.

Sorry to hear this. Be prepared to argue the value and spend many hours on the internet trying to prove it with comparable vehicles. Had to do that with my classic beetle which we managed to buy back and save.Now has guaranteed value on it.Good luck.

David
The short answer is that you don't have to accept what you are offered.

You may be able to persuade them to offer what seems enough yourself, or you might want to hire a loss adjuster.

I had a motorhome stolen, decades ago. I only had photos and paperwork, but I got the money up to what seemed fair.

Sadly I sent original photos and never got them back: I'll not make that mistake again.

The other thing to consider is to buy the vehicle and fix it yourself (or get it fixed). When it's not "an insurance job" the costs are far lower. By fixing it you know the roof will be in fine fettle for years to come.

Without seeing the damage, it'd maybe need a new cowl, roof, both sides and possible a back panel, and possibly windows and doors new screen etc.

What I would do is look on ebay, Autotrader and various other sites and look for comparable spec motorhomes to see what it would cost to get re-instated in an equivalent Motorhome.
Make some notes on how much it would cost for that equivalent motorhome to have the same extras you have fitted. For example, to get 200W of solar fitted by a dealer might cost in the region of £750. If that motorhome needed new tyres (quite likely as so many have ok tread but have reached retirement age), add another £600 (or whatever the cost of your new tyres were) to the total, noting what it is for. And so on.
And look for the better examples to compare with, as yours was obviously in super condition prior to being irretrievably damaged beyond your control whilst in the care of a trusted organisation.

I doubt if it is viable to get your existing one repaired. Motorhome bodies are pretty flimsy so the damage will be pretty substational and not limited to the roof - and no spare body parts will be available for one as old as yours. Any repair from a bodyshop will be long-winded, expensive and the results are likely to be pretty 'unique' and leave you with a Motorhome no one else would likely want.

Some years back I had a caravan written off when an eejit ploughed in to the back of the car behind me which then mushed the back end of my caravan. The offer from the TP insurance was ludicrously low, so I got 3 letters from:
1) The company I'd bought it from 6 months before
2) Another localish dealer who'd done work on previous caravans for me
3) A national dealer who dealt in that marque (that one cost me £30)
All saying how much it would cost me to buy another similar van.
The offer was upped to a more acceptable figure immediately.

They always make low offers first, hoping we are stupid enough to accept them.

Brought similar point up earlier. I'd actually be wondering why your own insurance company is not going down this route
Thank you for your comments, The negligence point is a good one which I have raised with my insurer. They (the other sides insurer seem to be dragging there feet). The assessor came out over a week ago

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back