07 Ducato not happy at first start up.

Pudsey Bear

It does it every day, forget going up hill or quick take off until its reached normal on the dashes temp gauge, then there is grunts spare.

It's a bit like a flat spot but puts the engine light on the dash which clears itself and leaves no trace on the OBD2 checker.

It was given a full service in April prior to get French trip.

Any ideas 💡?

It does it every day, forget going up hill or quick take off until its reached normal on the dashes temp gauge, then there is grunts spare.

It's a bit like a flat spot but puts the engine light on the dash which clears itself and leaves no trace on the OBD2 checker.

Any ideas 💡?
What the mileage on it Kev ?

Last edited:
We had a mysterious issue like that on our Renault master based van. Turned out that the fuel primer bulb had a small crack that was letting in air. Fitted new one and problem solved . Not saying thats your problem but easy to check

Thanks Martin, I doubt it's that as it's been like it for ages and would have got worse I think, I'm inclined to think it's a sensor somewhere, but which one.

puts the engine light on the dash which clears itself and leaves no trace on the OBD2 checker.
How good is your OBD-11 scanner? even if it clears itself if the engine light comes on it should leave a trace, unless you have a very expensive scanner or a dedicated one for your vehicle it doesn't always show the problem.
I use https://www.multiecuscan.net which tells you why the check engine light came on but didn't leave a code, it is free software and you only need to purchase an ELM 327 interface to connect to your PC.

How good is your OBD-11 scanner? even if it clears itself if the engine light comes on it should leave a trace, unless you have a very expensive scanner or a dedicated one for your vehicle it doesn't always show the problem.
I use https://www.multiecuscan.net which tells you why the check engine light came on but didn't leave a code, it is free software and you only need to purchase an ELM 327 interface to connect to your PC.
I had it ages ago on a 2.8Jtd, just a 2 pin affair bit it worked.

I should get a newer version when we get home at the weekend.

Out of interest, I had a bluetooth enabled OBD-II scanner that I wanted to use with the 'Torque' Smartphone App. I found on my 2011 Toyota RAV4 and my current 2007 Ducato 2.3L it actually stops the vehicle working properly - creates a kind of 'limp-mode' effect and kills the revs. The same unit is fine on my 2017 Vauxhall Corsa however.

My current preferred Reader is this Launch CR529 Scanner - https://amzn.to/3XC7LjP. Useful in that you can get real-time information when driving in a larger screen format and also connect to a PC (not done that bit myself).

Last edited:
Out of interest, I had a bluetooth enabled OBD-II scanner that I wanted to use with the 'Torque' Smartphone App. I found on my 2011 Toyota RAV4 and my current 2007 Ducato 2.3L it actually stops the vehicle working properly - creates a kind of 'limp-mode' effect and kills the revs. The same unit is fine on my 2017 Vauxhall Corsa however.

My current preferred Reader is this Launch CR529 Scanner - https://amzn.to/3XC7LjP. Useful in that you can get real-time information when driving in a larger screen format and also connect to a PC (not done that bit myself).

I happen to have the ODB2 plugged in and the Torque app.

Screenshot_20240910-132849_Torque.jpg

Just thinking about it I'm sure I have a better one under the stuff in one of the lockers, I will first search for it then if successful see if I can find a video, hate manuals.

Fuel delivery possibly. Get some Cataclean from Halfords or Online, one bottle in around 1/4 Tank fuel. Get engine up to temp and run at high revs and lower gear on motorway / dual carriageway or similar for some time, do not overheat engine. Once you are down to red line or low fuel warning light fill tank with Premium Fuel, Shell or BP preferably and run the vehicle with that and see how you go.

Random speculation if the turbo is vacuum operated I am going to go for a vacuum or induction issue.
Either could cause low boost and will often turn on the mil whilst present

A proper diagnostic tool used during the fault condition should show what is setting off the mil.

I'm not sure about either of those tbh, it is only aq cold engine problem.

I do drop to 3rd or 4th and give it some every few days as we do tend to trundle around on back roads a lot.

I dug this out just now, bought it ages ago and Liz tidied it away 🙄🙄

I just need to figure it out before starting if I can.

20240911_072913.jpg

Any ideas 💡?
Glow plugs ?

Could it be a problem with the engine heater plugs not all working? That could cause it to run rough until warmed up.

Possibly Dave, I never use them to start up on anything, but maybe they run anyway.

I just plugged in the OBD2 reader it showed no stored faults and it found nothing, I'd expect it to pickup glow plugs though.

Back