07 Ducato not happy at first start up.

just a thought has the fuel filter ever been changed, you say a full service but some garages never change the filter unless you ask them to you'd be surprised at this I was.

Possibly Dave, I never use them to start up on anything, but maybe they run anyway.

I just plugged in the OBD2 reader it showed no stored faults and it found nothing, I'd expect it to pickup glow plugs though.
Your average mileage is about 2500 per annum, Kev, if the odometer reading is accurate, so a reasonable chance that glow plugs and injectors have just aged through relative lack of use ...

When you say that you never use the glow plugs, Fiat recommends turning on the ignition and waiting for the 5 seconds required for the system check (to avoid the risk of ECU failure) before starting the engine, and the Manual now has that advice on the prints from about 2020

Steve

oh to have a good old fashioned real engine with no electronic cr-p. ;)
Yep, I have one :cool:
Possibly Dave, I never use them to start up on anything, but maybe they run anyway.

I just plugged in the OBD2 reader it showed no stored faults and it found nothing, I'd expect it to pickup glow plugs though.
I don't think the OBD Reader you have will do much, it's a low end cheaper one sorry to say. Did you read what I wrote above re. Cataclean, give that a try. Should manage to clear any rubbish out of injectors and fuel lines unless stuck fast, works well. See https://cataclean.com/product/cataclean-diesel/ - Halfords usually have some but you have to ask them as for some reason it is not often on the shelves I have noticed.

just a thought has the fuel filter ever been changed, you say a full service but some garages never change the filter unless you ask them to you'd be surprised at this I was.
Yes I made sure it was and he did change it.

He's a good lad, I'll drop it in when I get time after we get home.

Your average mileage is about 2500 per annum, Kev, if the odometer reading is accurate, so a reasonable chance that glow plugs and injectors have just aged through relative lack of use ...

When you say that you never use the glow plugs, Fiat recommends turning on the ignition and waiting for the 5 seconds required for the system check (to avoid the risk of ECU failure) before starting the engine, and the Manual now has that advice on the prints from about 2020

Steve
Hmm, not miles since we got it anyway, over 6k this year, about 4k last year but I'll try the 5 seconds tomorrow and see if it makes ant difference.

Yep, I have one :cool:

I don't think the OBD Reader you have will do much, it's a low end cheaper one sorry to say. Did you read what I wrote above re. Cataclean, give that a try. Should manage to clear any rubbish out of injectors and fuel lines unless stuck fast, works well. See https://cataclean.com/product/cataclean-diesel/ - Halfords usually have some but you have to ask them as for some reason it is not often on the shelves I have noticed.
Yes I read it, but all seemlike snake oil to to me, I prefer to look for the real fault before trying might be remedies, they might cure a blocked injector but that may not be the problem, and I've never in 60 years of using garages been advised to do more than a shot of Red X once in a blue moon

Sometimes have to be wary of engine and fuel cleaners ... they can dislodge particles of muck that are not doing any harm and allow them to travel through the pipes and block other things, so actually make things worse!

I remember being warned of this kind of thing when I had my VW T4 and wanted to run on SVO (Standard Vegetable Oil)... I read that the SVO would also work as a fuel tank cleaner and the upshot was you would need to replace the fuel filter within a couple of hundred miles after starting and then more fenquently after that as it got gunged up faster. (I went by the advice as it was a very easy filter to change and they were around £2 a pop at Halfords, so minimal cost and hassle to save potential problems),

Look at you all showing off with your vans that have OBD2 lol

Kev, does your code reader give an option for live data?

The BT one does, but using sat nav most of the time so can't see it and Torque is a bugger to get going for some reason.

Last edited:
Look at you all showing off with your vans that have OBD2 lol

Kev, does your code reader give an option for live data?
Your Sprinter will have as well. You just need to get the Mercedes adapter from the round plug to the standard OBD port. (I had to get one of those for my VW LT as it was MB electrics)

I just tried the plug and Torque app, the plug lights up but now Torque won't talk to it.

I give up for now.

Your Sprinter will have as well. You just need to get the Mercedes adapter from the round plug to the standard OBD port. (I had to get one of those for my VW LT as it was MB electrics)
No, it has the old type OBD port but doesn’t use OBD, it’s K-Lines on a T1n it seems. I had to buy a different code reader as the one I had didn’t work with this system.
New one you can get it to speak Sprinter or OBD2, (with suitable adapter for the round OBD port).

No, it has the old type OBD port but doesn’t use OBD, it’s K-Lines on a T1n it seems. I had to buy a different code reader as the one I had didn’t work with this system.
New one you can get it to speak Sprinter or OBD2, (with suitable adapter for the round OBD port).
thinking about it, I didn't connect an OBD Reader to the 2003 LT, I used the VCDS PC Software with a special 'intelligent' cable and then a MB Round pin to OBD cable adapter.
I guess my software could work with both old and new standards? (I could not use all the features of it like I could with my 2008 T5 and had put that down to the LT really being a Mercedes and not a VW)

How good is your OBD-11 scanner? even if it clears itself if the engine light comes on it should leave a trace, unless you have a very expensive scanner or a dedicated one for your vehicle it doesn't always show the problem.
I use https://www.multiecuscan.net which tells you why the check engine light came on but didn't leave a code, it is free software and you only need to purchase an ELM 327 interface to connect to your PC.
A bit unsure what to get tbh.

Will this do?

We won't be setting off for a while but I turion the ign to see how long the glow plug light would stay on, 2 seconds if that.

I got the Autel Maxi Ap200 Kev. I need an adapter as my port is round but you would plug straight in. Under £50 and so far has done everything I have needed

thinking about it, I didn't connect an OBD Reader to the 2003 LT, I used the VCDS PC Software with a special 'intelligent' cable and then a MB Round pin to OBD cable adapter.
I guess my software could work with both old and new standards? (I could not use all the features of it like I could with my 2008 T5 and had put that down to the LT really being a Mercedes and not a VW)
I didn’t know until they told me on the Sprinter forum, had bought three different adapter cables before I found out lol my problem was I thought it had worked when I first bought the scanner 5 or so years ago but I obviously hadn’t tried it

I tried the glow plugs this morning and it was marginally better after giving them about 10 seconds, I'll give it a bit longer tomorrow.

I thought they went off when the light went off though.

Back