Should i Fit a CB Radio

• Yes

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MJVW

Why do i keep getting the urge to fit a CB radio? A lot of the time i don't appear to have a mobile signal when i go exploring single track roads and out of the way spot this is more noticeable in Scotland........... a lot of the locals seem to have CB's fitted and it could come in handy in an emergency? Is it worth it?

Like it,, Amazon have some really small unit would like to fit it into the dash pocket that fits over the fuses on the T4 dashboard, not too sure about mounting the Antenna? thought about mounting on rear ladder to roof or at an angle on the roof, wing mirror mount might look odd. Still chewing the fat!

Mine came as a complete unit from Facebook market place, second hand forty quid inc mag mount

Can you get hand-held units ?
Ie go outside maybe extend an aerial
Maybe rechargeable

Also who do you contact in a "semi emergency" (eg flat tyre etc)
Or real emergency eg Hospital needed

Why do i keep getting the urge to fit a CB radio? A lot of the time i don't appear to have a mobile signal when i go exploring single track roads and out of the way spot this is more noticeable in Scotland........... a lot of the locals seem to have CB's fitted and it could come in handy in an emergency? Is it worth it?
Got my CB ready to fit just need long enough dry weather to fit a new cable duct on my roof then it will be fitted ?

Can you get hand-held units ?
Ie go outside maybe extend an aerial
Maybe rechargeable

Also who do you contact in a "semi emergency" (eg flat tyre etc)
Or real emergency eg Hospital needed

Was hoping just to shout out (Emergency Channel) and hoping someone in the area is able to help contact services etc as they have local knowledge, But it's a fair point.

You can get handheld but would prefer vehicle install

Midland 48 Alan excel multi
Will be able to use European channels as well, just looking for a swr meter and possibly a new twig, won’t fit it in this van as everything is fibreglass or plastic so no ground plane, do you use them in the truck

Got them in the show trucks Andy but I used midlands years ago great wee set also kept the service in line to swar it in
Stop using it years back when all the muppets jumped in with the foul mouths and keying the Mike open playing music etc
Think they’re great bits of kit in the right hands

Probably won’t get turned on much, looking for a small hand held as well, for janet walking the dog, we tried walkie talkies in Norway last year, janet would walk jess and I would catch her up after about 45 minutes but often there was no phone or walkie talkie signal

This is an interesting thread as it's a question myself and Mrs GMJ have asked ourselves when out and about: are CB Radios still in common use?

I know that they were very big back in the day but with the advent of mobile phones, are they still used to the same extent?

I recall back in the '70's trying to persuade my father to get me one when they were all the rage...

Graham
smile.gif

Midland 48 Alan excel multi
Will be able to use European channels as well, just looking for a swr meter and possibly a new twig, won’t fit it in this van as everything is fibreglass or plastic so no ground plane, do you use them in the truck
Oh Andy, I wish that I'd read this post earlier, I could have supplied you with both. You didn't notice my Stalker ST-9F DX ssb set then.

Ah, ok, but yes I've got one.

I need a spare mic, has anyone got a cb microphone lying in a draw somewhere that they'd be grateful to offload ?

Don't get just any old mike unless you are a dab hand with a soldering iron..
Different makes have different wiring connections.

Don't get just any old mike unless you are a dab hand with a soldering iron..
Different makes have different wiring connections.

Thanks for that, I am ok soldering and realise that various rigs are plumbed differently. I had cb shop from just before legal and for a couple of years afterwards.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back