100W solar panel

So after all your bluster you're admitting that I was right. It won't turn on until the battery is connected. Makes no difference if the panel was on first.

As I said, most solar controllers are just buck converters, with no boost function.

The 5v margin is news to me. Certainly none of my MPPT controllers need that. Maybe I should revise my opinion that Victron are good.
Admittimg you are right? Where and how exactly do you make that conclusion :LOL:

With all your experience you don't know the basics? Deary me :)

Quite so..you're always right, aren't you?
No, but I tell you something .... The 'information' you have presented on this thread on how to install solar controllers and your 'experience' on how they work ... God help anyone who follows your advice :oops:

What a shock, one of my MPPT's is showing 52.7 volts! What a change from last night.
That's clearly a typical voltage from a 12v panel. And you clearly know what you are talking about

Sheesh. I thought motorhomefun was where that sort of people collect

If you have panels putting out over 20v at the time of connection, it might matter. In my experience, it doesn't, but it could with some controllers.
Just to clarify, it is likely that a 12v panel in sunshine will give around 20v to 21v with a completely open circuit, but as soon as you draw any current, the voltage will fall away to about 16v or less, especially if there isn't full sun beating down on it!

Connecting the panel to the regulator before the batteries bu--ers them up, same as running a car or m bike with a dead or no battery wrecks the regulator and can blow diodes in a bridge rectifier, are you clear on this now.
Sorry, but that simply is not true.

So is it ....
The people who made it don't even speak English. The instructions are usually written by people who know nothing of the product and have never even seen it.
The reason to connect the battery first is simply so that it can tell whether it is powering a 12v or a 24v system. Even then it doesn't seem to matter, in my actual experience.
If the panel is a 12v one (so it gives 16v open circuit) it cannot be a 24v system.
MPPT solar regulators" normally only have buck circuitry, and can't boost. So 12v panel means 12v battery.
*Except B2B chargers that have MPPT controllers: they have both buck and boost abilities.

Or is it the latest post ....
Just to clarify, it is likely that a 12v panel in sunshine will give around 20v to 21v with a completely open circuit, but as soon as you draw any current, the voltage will fall away to about 16v or less, especially if there isn't full sun beating down on it!

Version 2 is getting closer to the correct info. You're learning ;)

This is getting like the toilet thread. In that only one person was right and everyone else was wrong. Even though the person who was always right was talking out of his. Now what do they call it. Oh yes backside. Brian

Makers info, not that they would know, 😂 your info is correct but sum wont listen.
solar spec.png

One thing that is true to say and adds confusion, but no one has really mentioned is the terms "12V panel" and "24V panel" are used, but a "12V" panel puts out anywhere from 19V to 23V, and a 24V panel is 36V to 47V.
You end up with some people not realising that a "12V" must not be connected to a "12V" battery without a controller to regulate it, so they connect direct and don't do the battery any favours

So is it ....

Or is it the latest post ....

Version 2 is getting closer to the correct info. You're learning ;)
Yes, I'm learning that this place is infested with pedants. I wrote open circuit when I should have said not providing much power. But the point stands. Unless the voltage is very high, there is no risk of the controller thinking it's a 24v system.
I'm not aware of any other reason why the battery needs to be connected first.

Yes, I'm learning that this place is infested with pedants. I wrote open circuit when I should have said not providing much power. But the point stands. Unless the voltage is very high, there is no risk of the controller thinking it's a 24v system.
I'm not aware of any other reason why the battery needs to be connected first.
Because some makes are not self protected and get damaged, I used to get lads bringing me motorbikes with flat batteries or them removed and when they fitted a new one it would not charge, simple they had burnt the regulator or bridge rectifier out with excess power from the alt windings.

Because some makes are not self protected and get damaged, I used to get lads bringing me motorbikes with flat batteries or them removed and when they fitted a new one it would not charge, simple they had burnt the regulator or bridge rectifier out with excess power from the alt windings.
I accept what you say about motorbike batteries. That is true. It was very easy to blow the diodes on a magneto charger.
Solar controllers don't work the same way at all.

Perhaps you meant "translated by someone who doesn't know the product." That I would agree with, but doesn't mean that the instructions don't reflect what you should do with the product.
No, I mean written. You do have a valid point about translation, but that's not what I meant.

I'm baffled by that. Does the sun never stop shining on where you are?
I suppose if they're fitted on an aircraft circling the equator. Otherwise, I dispute the accuracy of your claim.
???
Why would I say something that wasn’t right in this post, was trying to help clarify? It’s not now the 27th day as time has passed but is still the lowest reading in the last 30 days if you take a look at the pic for the solar panel V max. Just download the spec sheet from Alpha Battery’s for the 150W panel if you want the full spec

F431EA28-A54E-4EF3-8DDC-4DA70ED9AB80.jpeg

V Max is presumably the maximum voltage. Very nice, but we are talking about the minimum voltage here.
I know that your solar panels have very little voltage output during the hours of darkness.

I must thank you all for your varied input, I have taken advice across the board, some I knew some I didnt. END RESULT
Fitted in order advised, conclusion new panel brilliant, voltage increasing better than other panel. Its creating 21.6v to controller at present
Thank you one and all:):):):)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back