12 volt fridge

Chebeag

Hi all
Hope someone can help. I am in search of a fridge for my van. Looking for second hand. Does anyone know where I might pick one up in the Glasgow area.
I currently have a Waeco coolmatic 12 volt, so looking for something similar that will run off my leisure batteries, topped up with solar.

Went out and bought a domestic fridge and an inverter, £ 160 all in and the wife can dry her hair. ;-) Had it out on trial last weekend and all is good.

Are you running it off the 12v battery system? If so, are the batteries up to it? Had a 12v fridge box but returned it as it flattened my 2x110ah batteries overnight so I intend to go the same way as you have....

Are you running it off the 12v battery system? If so, are the batteries up to it? Had a 12v fridge box but returned it as it flattened my 2x110ah batteries overnight so I intend to go the same way as you have....
I have a 120 watt solar system that is keeping it topped up. Even at this time of year. Seems to be fine. Checked it today and still showing 4 bars. Van hasn't moved since Sunday so no top up from alternator
The fridge I got is the same width as the 12 volt it replaced, although I had to make room for the extra height.

I have plans to fit a couple of 100-150 watt solar panels shortly so I should be good by the sound of things then. Been looking at small fridges, much cheaper than 12v, even with price of inverter on top....

Friend of mine swapped his fridge box for a domestic fridge, he reckons it runs to get down to trmp then turns off. If he doesn't open the door he reckons in summer it only runs about 5mins every hour....

Possibly the worst decision I made when carrying out my self build was fitting a Waeco CR50 fridge, not only did it hurt my pocket but it is also quite noisy and in hot weather it does tend to run the batteries down quite fast!

Possibly the worst decision I made when carrying out my self build was fitting a Waeco CR50 fridge, not only did it hurt my pocket but it is also quite noisy and in hot weather it does tend to run the batteries down quite fast!
Was it a new Fridge, or used? I wonder if yours is faulty as 1) they should not be noisy - and in fact totally silent for around 75% of the time or more when the compressor is off, and 2) they are pretty efficient (approx 1.2Ah - 2Ah/Hour average depending on external temp)
If yours is running for too long, then it could make more noise and will use more power.
my own compressor fridge is complete silent - I actually have to open the door to see if the light stays on inside as that is the only way I can tell if the compressor is running or not.

Most fridges will use little power overnight (ie no Solar)..

And if is is very hot..you have more solar !
This is true. An electric fridge will have to work harder in hotter temps, but the solar usually more than makes up for that with improved harvesting.
I have found you do only get relatively modest increase in consumed power for a fridge when the external temp increases though.

Went out and bought a domestic fridge and an inverter, £ 160 all in and the wife can dry her hair. ;-) Had it out on trial last weekend and all is good.
Have you done a road trip with it yet? Asking this as you will need to find a latch to secure the door as the typical kitchen fridge isn't designed to go round corners without the door swinging open.

Was it a new Fridge, or used?

I fitted mine NEW approx. 5 years ago and have never liked it.
For the first couple of years I only had a single 110ah LB but matters have improved quite a lot since fitting the 2nd one, however it is still not perfect but we won't be bothering to change it as it would result in far too much upheaval.

My Waeco has served us well, very quiet and solar, 330w, is enough to power it and the eber. I wonder if complaints about noise are down to installation or a faulty unit, as I sleep less than a metre from mine and can't hear it.

My Waeco has served us well, very quiet and solar, 330w, is enough to power it and the eber. I wonder if complaints about noise are down to installation or a faulty unit, as I sleep less than a metre from mine and can't hear it.
I fitted a Waeco CRX-50 (the slightly more efficient replacement to the CR-50) to my T5 Conversion back in 2016 and the only time I "noticed" it was around 5-6 AM when I would be in bed and the little shudder the compressor gives when it starts up transmitted to the bed base. Never heard the fridge, just 'felt' it come on and only then when lying in the bed.
Phil (MM), I would be inclined to check everything is tightened as it should be and check how often the compressor is running. I know a lot of people seem to think they are noisy, but honestly they should be as quiet (cancel that - make that QUIETER) then a typical kitchen fridge (my kitchen fridge anyway)

Phil (MM), I would be inclined to check everything is tightened as it should be and check how often the compressor is running. I know a lot of people seem to think they are noisy, but honestly they should be as quiet (cancel that - make that QUIETER) then a typical kitchen fridge (my kitchen fridge anyway)

Dave; if I could get the darned little thing out I would do, but I can't, the reason being, who was a stupid ass when fitting it and used an electric screwdriver to screw in the 4 locating/holding screws and one of them by a mili-second of time went in too far the result of which it went through/past the inner liner and hence it can't now be taken out!!

Phil

Dave; if I could get the darned little thing out I would do, but I can't, the reason being, who was a stupid ass when fitting it and used an electric screwdriver to screw in the 4 locating/holding screws and one of them by a mili-second of time went in too far the result of which it went through/past the inner liner and hence it can't now be taken out!!

Phil
That's a pain :(
I seriously would drill that screw head out so it is not 'involved' (can't think of the right word :( ) any more and whip out the fridge and check it over. Once the fridge is out the way, can fix that fixing ready for fridge refit.
(at least doing this, you will be in a position to remove it much more easily if you need to while on a trip)

Was it a new Fridge, or used? I wonder if yours is faulty as 1) they should not be noisy - and in fact totally silent for around 75% of the time or more when the compressor is off, and 2) they are pretty efficient (approx 1.2Ah - 2Ah/Hour average depending on external temp)
If yours is running for too long, then it could make more noise and will use more power.
my own compressor fridge is complete silent - I actually have to open the door to see if the light stays on inside as that is the only way I can tell if the compressor is running or not.

Our Waeco 40l cool box type is nigh on silent (we sleep 6" above it) and draws/uses very little power out of the batteries...
Next best thing I bought alongside the Eberspacher.
If its noisy and uses a lot of power it sounds like it has issues.

Have you done a road trip with it yet? Asking this as you will need to find a latch to secure the door as the typical kitchen fridge isn't designed to go round corners without the door swinging open.
Yeah found that on the first roundabout :). It was messy........ I fitted childproof straps which have solved that problem.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back