12v fan for a fridge

They work well - I have a bunch of these, both 12V and 240V AC for different purposes.

The only problem with them is the install instructions are not stellar, so if you need any help on working out the wiring, just shout (it gets easier after you have done a few of them!)
Thanks Wildebus will do.

My van have a 4" nominal old computer type fan above the fridge 'chimney' to encourage improved draw and hence increased internal cooling.

I went for the commercial option. Two thermostatically controlled fans behind the top fridge grill and a control panel in the van. Set the temperature you want the fans to come on at and that’s it. We also try to park with the fridge vents in shadow, if possible. The fans only run when needed and not always at full speed. They are generally off at night, or ticking over slowly, even in Spain!

A handy device to fit to control the fan use is a temp controller like this - https://amzn.to/2XmoBWg
View attachment 47199

Saves having to think "do I need the fan on" as this will do the job for you and turn on when needed automatically.

I bought one of those t'stat controllers, but having tried it I out decided not wired it in. My thoughts being that they make the heat transfer and hence cooling more efficient, so why would I want to not use the fridge fans! even is it is not very hot, it will still make the fridge cool better and need less energy to keep it cool.

I bought one of those t'stat controllers, but having tried it I out decided not wired it in. My thoughts being that they make the heat transfer and hence cooling more efficient, so why would I want to not use the fridge fans! even is it is not very hot, it will still make the fridge cool better and need less energy to keep it cool.
Interesting point. I'll have to see if I can do a bit of maths on this one on my van :) Certainly I see the time gaps between the "on" cycles get stretched over the night as the ambient temp drops.

Something to bear in mind though ..... any fan, even a 'silent' fan can be heard if you listen closely enough. I can hear the fan when it is on (unlike the fridge which although being a compressor fridge really is silent) so if you are someone that gets a wee bit annoyed by noises (personally, I hate ticking clocks for example), having a fan on all the time can be irritating.

I have a couple of 100mm PC fans fitted and I can't hear them when in the van, even a night fortunately maybe i'm a touch deaf, they are very effective too. Do you use fans on a compressor fridge set up? Interesting to see your test results

I have a couple of 100mm PC fans fitted and I can't hear them when in the van, even a night fortunately maybe i'm a touch deaf, they are very effective too. Do you use fans on a compressor fridge set up? Interesting to see your test results
I have a single fan (think it is 50mm?) fitted to point at the compressor.
I decided to add this as in my previous camper I had a Weaco CRX-50 Compressor Fridge and the back of that reached over 50C on occasions. It never stopped working properly, but as you are saying, the cooler you can keep the fridge the better (within reason of course - the makers usually say a Fridge should not be kept in a Garage or Shed as it can get TOO cold in the winter). So seemed like a sensible add-on to do when fitting the kit as the extra cost is just a few pounds.
I have seen a temperature of 42C in my current van but that was also the ambient temp of the van at the time, so shifting such warm air likely did little?
What I can see from the controller is in more normal ambient temps when the fan kicks in, the temp at the compressor reduces pretty quickly by a few degrees so the moving air certainly has an effect.

Your point intrigues me and I think I will be doing a bit of experimentation as I do agree the cooler the running the more energy efficient overall you should expect (and also better long-term reliability as well I would think?)

I have a single fan (think it is 50mm?) fitted to point at the compressor.
I decided to add this as in my previous camper I had a Weaco CRX-50 Compressor Fridge and the back of that reached over 50C on occasions. It never stopped working properly, but as you are saying, the cooler you can keep the fridge the better (within reason of course - the makers usually say a Fridge should not be kept in a Garage or Shed as it can get TOO cold in the winter). So seemed like a sensible add-on to do when fitting the kit as the extra cost is just a few pounds.
I have seen a temperature of 42C in my current van but that was also the ambient temp of the van at the time, so shifting such warm air likely did little?
What I can see from the controller is in more normal ambient temps when the fan kicks in, the temp at the compressor reduces pretty quickly by a few degrees so the moving air certainly has an effect.

Your point intrigues me and I think I will be doing a bit of experimentation as I do agree the cooler the running the more energy efficient overall you should expect (and also better long-term reliability as well I would think?)
Presumably the cooling fins are at a higher temperature than ambient so moving air over them at speed provides a more efficient cooling effect than just the normal convection.

If you want to do this correctly then you should place the fan(s) in the lower vent blowing the air up through the cavity and over the fins so that it expels through the top vent.

This is the advice given by both Dometic and Thetford who make most of the fridges we use.

I know some folks have them at the top vent but that is not best practice according to the manufacturers.

Graham
smile.gif

If you want to do this correctly then you should place the fan(s) in the lower vent blowing the air up through the cavity and over the fins so that it expels through the top vent.

This is the advice given by both Dometic and Thetford who make most of the fridges we us

I know some folks have them at the top vent but that is not best practice according to the manufacturers.

Graham
smile.gif

Mine are both at the top vent blowing outwards and the fridge/freezer are working better than ever and it is 30 deg were we are at present , don't always believe what the manufacturer recommended ?

Mine are both at the top vent blowing outwards and the fridge/freezer are working better than ever and it is 30 deg were we are at present , don't always believe what the manufacturer recommended ?
Jeff where did you get your fans as I’d like to emulate your system please .fridge worked ok in France but feel if it had been hotter it may have struggled
Just my opinion only???

Jeff where did you get your fans as I’d like to emulate your system please .fridge worked ok in France but feel if it had been hotter it may have struggled
Just my opinion only???
eBay Gordon 2 x 75 mm and I just used sikaflex to stick them on the back of the top vent , make sure they are blowing outwards . I took the feed off the 12v socket for the rear TV , them through a fuse and switch , so I can turn off when not required

I think if I was to Blow in at the bottom it would be close to the gas flame and may interfere with it. :p

Nope..it doesn't.

I had one correctly fitted to my last Comanche at the bottom blowing up with no issues or dramas at all.

I'm amazed how folks argue the toss on this one when there is only one correct way to do it. If you were warm in the house and put a desk fan on, would you stand behind it or in front of it? In front of it so it could cool you. By having the fan in the bottom cavity it pushes air over the fins and facilitates the warmer air to rise through the cavity and out of the top.

Of course anyone can follow the advice of random folks off the internet who will swear blind that their way is the best way...which they would say wouldn't they, not wanting to admit they are wrong? ...or follow the advice of professionals who do this kind of stuff for a living...

I'm guessing putting them at the top may well have some effect but its not the most efficient way of doing it. Folks talk about having 2 or 3 at the top: one fan at the bottom more than sufficed us in summer temperatures in Poland and Italy...where it gets really warm.
yes.gif

Graham
smile.gif

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back