12v power supply for Raspberry Pi 3 B+ needed

GeoffL

I've been experimenting with a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ for a few days with a view to using it as a "lite" computer in the van. It's small enough to mount permanently on the back of the telly, tethers easily to my phone, and I can use a Bluetooth keyboard with built in trackpad to interact with it. However, even though the power input is a micro usb socket, 5v is not enough. The official (mains) power supply provides 2.5A at 5.1v. I've tried a 5v/2.4A supply and a 5.25v/2.0A supply. The Pi returned "under-voltage" errors for both and either would not fully boot or randomly rebooted. Unfortunately, the 12v multi supply I have has 3 cigar lighter-type sockets and 4 USB sockets, but the USB sockets are only 5v/2.1A.

So I'm looking for a 12v to USB adapter that can provide 2.5A or more at 5.1v or more. I guess that I can make up my own power supply with a suitable buck converter provided I can source a micro USB type A plug. However, it would be nice if there was a suitable ready made PSU. Any suggestions?

TIA, Geoff

I've been experimenting with a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ for a few days with a view to using it as a "lite" computer in the van. It's small enough to mount permanently on the back of the telly, tethers easily to my phone, and I can use a Bluetooth keyboard with built in trackpad to interact with it. However, even though the power input is a micro usb socket, 5v is not enough. The official (mains) power supply provides 2.5A at 5.1v. I've tried a 5v/2.4A supply and a 5.25v/2.0A supply. The Pi returned "under-voltage" errors for both and either would not fully boot or randomly rebooted. Unfortunately, the 12v multi supply I have has 3 cigar lighter-type sockets and 4 USB sockets, but the USB sockets are only 5v/2.1A.

So I'm looking for a 12v to USB adapter that can provide 2.5A or more at 5.1v or more. I guess that I can make up my own power supply with a suitable buck converter provided I can source a micro USB type A plug. However, it would be nice if there was a suitable ready made PSU. Any suggestions?

TIA, Geoff

This problem does appear to be relatively common. One reason is a cheap/ faulty USB power cable. Have a look at this thread for some more ideas
https://www.element14.com/community...ction-raspberry-pi-3-b?displayFullThread=true

If it requires a USB2 down to micro USB have you thought of using the USB outlet on the rear of the TV, assuming you have an avtek, I use it to power a fire stick so I'm assuming it's 12 volt?

It might be worth trying a USB backup power banks source..
I bought one for 10 Euros in Lidl/Aldi/Hofer in Austria..
I supply it with 5V or so from the 12V cigarette lighter socket
It has 2 outputs (USB) which I use to power my TomTom and charge my phone (at the same time
The TomTom is fussy and does not work well off the usual "cheapo" 12V to 5V devices as it has it own dedicated 12V plug (to USB)
It does however work 100% off the power supply which I therefore assume gives sufficient reliable/steady power maybe 5V+
PS I use the TomTom 12V to 5V (USB) plug to supply the power bank.
If this works for you you can then simply use the powerbank in the evening without powering it and re-charge it the next day

I've a couple of 3B's

My advice is DO NOT 9V 12V a Pi, it will likely smoke. 5.2V @ 2.5A is fine & MAX ?.

You've either got (I) a dodgy existing power supply or (II) cable or (III) there's an issue wth the Pi itself. & (IV) you may need to re-image raspbian or easier (V) from a terminal window ...

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

& tidy up the archives or you'll run outta space

sudo apt-get clean

3rd (!?!) piece of advice buy a genuine Pi3 power supply.

Let us know how you get on. HTH, a little.

Chrz Mul.

p.s. Do you ALWAYS shutdown before switching off ? Not doing so can corrupt SD card and there's reports of damaging Pi's. A flaw and weakness in design IMHO.

Pi.jpg

TIA, Geoff
I've been using this unit in my van to drive my Raspberry Pi 3 - https://amzn.to/2Sbc5C6

It's been running non-stop for the last 7 months, so I think it does the job adequately.

Thanks to all:
This problem does appear to be relatively common. One reason is a cheap/ faulty USB power cable. Have a look at this thread for some more ideas
https://www.element14.com/community...ction-raspberry-pi-3-b?displayFullThread=true
Thanks for the link. FWIW, I'd already seen that. AFAICT, the power requirements of the 3 model B+ are on the limit for the universal PSU, which considerably exceeds the USB standard. However, a number of faulty units have been noted. That said, mine works fine with the 'official' PSU and so has been declared good.

If it requires a USB2 down to micro USB have you thought of using the USB outlet on the rear of the TV, assuming you have an avtek, I use it to power a fire stick so I'm assuming it's 12 volt?
My TV won't provide enough power -- I have a Cello, the USB port of which doesn't have enough power to run my Fire TV stick, so it definitely won't run the Pi.

[...]
You've either got (I) a dodgy existing power supply or (II) cable or (III) there's an issue wth the Pi itself. & (IV) you may need to re-image raspbian or easier (V) from a terminal window [...]

3rd (!?!) piece of advice buy a genuine Pi3 power supply. [...]
FWIW, the Pi 3 B+ power requirements are greater than the Pi 3 B's. So a PSU that successfully powers a model B might not necessarily successfully power a model B+. All the USB cables I've tried with 3rd party power supplies have been data cables, which have fairly thin conductors. I note that the official PSU only has two conductors, and they're a lot thicker than a typical USB lead. So perhaps all I need is to wire up some 10A cable with a full size USB type A at one end and a micro USB type A at the other. I have a genuine Pi universal power supply (i.e. the one that's sold to go with the Pi 3), and the Pi works fine with that. However, it's a mains-fed PSU and I need a 12v variant for the van. I haven't seen an official 12v PSU. Does such a beast exist?

I've been using this unit in my van to drive my Raspberry Pi 3 - https://amzn.to/2Sbc5C6

It's been running non-stop for the last 7 months, so I think it does the job adequately.
Thanks, I'll consider that. Is your Pi 3 a model B or a model B+. The power requirements of the B+ exceed that of the model B, so it would be good to know which you have.

Thanks again to all. Geoff

I have the Pi 3 Model B.
The unit I linked to is meant to be able to supply 3A continuously and is used by B+ owners IIRC.

I used the 'official ' Raspberry AC supply for a little while in the van (I have 240V 24/7 in there anyway) while looking for a suitable DC-DC adapter, and that seemed fine but recently I have used it on my phone and tablet and it cannot keep up to the power usage on either surprising. However the little Amazion triangular 240V-USB adapter has no issues, so not sure what is going on there? (but that is a different topic).

I have the Pi 3 Model B.
The unit I linked to is meant to be able to supply 3A continuously and is used by B+ owners IIRC.

I used the 'official ' Raspberry AC supply for a little while in the van (I have 240V 24/7 in there anyway) while looking for a suitable DC-DC adapter, and that seemed fine but recently I have used it on my phone and tablet and it cannot keep up to the power usage on either surprising. However the little Amazion triangular 240V-USB adapter has no issues, so not sure what is going on there? (but that is a different topic).
Thanks for that. FWIW, I have several Amazon triangular 240V-USB supplies (got a white one with each of four kindles and a black one with one of our Fire TV sticks). I've only tried one of those Amazon PSUs with the Pi, and got the "under-voltage" errors.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back