12V switching off.

sydnsue

I can't believe this. One issue after another. We've only just started the holiday. Put the gas heating on and after 5 minutes the 12V went off. Kept pressing the 12V button but no luck. Then I remembered this happened before and I switched on ignition and off again. Then pressed the 12V button and presto, all working again.
Any ideas anyone?

Definitely not. It's a new lithium.
We had a 120 Ah KS Energy Lithium until Feb 2024 that was so efficient, the BMS would send it to sleep. You could set your watch by it, but only when the heating was operating; 1 hour after switching on the 12v lights each night, the heating would call for a teaspoon's worth of leccy to spark the system, but the Lithium was snoring its head off, and unable to wake up quickly enough to respond! 12v lights dimmed momentarily, Tru ma threw a fault code [low battery, turn off to save power], and stereo lost all settings ...

Turn Truma off and back on again, put lithium under load, and reset stereo the following morning. The solution was to keep a load on the Lithium to prevent it from going to sleep

Steve

Marchie. Interesting. I don't think it's that because the heater fan was working at the time. That's what made me realise the power had gone when it went quiet.

Steve Marchie might well have got the answer there.. the 'default' program in a Lithium Batteries BMS is for it to go to sleep when it detects no load. The problem is that "no load" isn't really zero load, it is just a load lower than a certain value, and can actually be fairly high.
Combine that with the typical Motorhomer who tries to conserve battery power by turning off things whenever not needed, using LED bulbs to minimise power draw, etc, and you can get a battery that will turn itself off even whene you are using it! just like Steve's KS Energy one where he had to deliberately waste power just to stop that happening!!
A fan in a heater is not a big draw and could be below a "no load" threshold.

Some batteries have this sleep mode disabled in the BMS as it is just inappropriate when used in a Motorhome or Camper.
Get a Lithium battery from someone like Alpha Batteries, say and you will find they specifically specify from their manufacturer that sleep mode is factory disabled. My first Lithiums (from Alpha) would only go into a storage mode if they detected no load for 24 straight hours, which was ideal as you are going to pull some decent load at sometime during a day when away, even if it turning on a tap once.

Get a battery from a Band-Waggoneer who just get a "white box" battery and slap their label on it and it will come with whatever generic settings that the BMS is supplied with.

Once again, very interesting. I have a Frogstar Drift which are supposed to be very good. I'm assuming if it is in sleep mode, turning the ignition on and off wakes it for some reason. I shall see if I can find anything about Frogstar sleep mode.

Once again, very interesting. I have a Frogstar Drift which are supposed to be very good. I'm assuming if it is in sleep mode, turning the ignition on and off wakes it for some reason. I shall see if I can find anything about Frogstar sleep mode.
I'm no expert but I think if it's in sleep mode then it needs turning on.

I have just emailed Fogstar to ask advice. Thanks everyone for your input. I am new to lithium so it's a learning curve.

I have just emailed Fogstar to ask advice. Thanks everyone for your input. I am new to lithium so it's a learning curve.
Loads of people mentioning/ buying Fogstar lithium but this is the first time I've seen them going into sleep mode, should be configurable via the app though.
I take it you're off grid and not plugged into EHU?Easy enough to confirm if the battery is entering sleep mode. Wait until it happens again, remove any EHU and then check the voltage at the battery terminals, if you've got 12+V then it's not the battery going into sleep mode but another issue.
Do let us know when you get it sussed though 👍

Loads of people mentioning/ buying Fogstar lithium but this is the first time I've seen them going into sleep mode, should be configurable via the app though.
I take it you're off grid and not plugged into EHU?Easy enough to confirm if the battery is entering sleep mode. Wait until it happens again, remove any EHU and then check the voltage at the battery terminals, if you've got 12+V then it's not the battery going into sleep mode but another issue.
No volt meter with me so can't check. Still waiting to hear from Fogstar.

Not all Li batteries have a sleep mode, it is potentially disastrous for some applications. I think it was Alpha Batteries that refused to stock batteries with a sleep mode because it causes too many problems.

We know of one case where a Fogstar decided to turn itself off in the middle of the owner taking a shower!
Was quite flummoxing and three or four people standing around the van trying to work out why the system complained of low voltage whenever any load (such as a couple of LED lights) was put on.

This is logical, but actually incorrect.
Continuing from the waffle above, we were checking the voltages with a multimeter and they all read ok with lights off, including on the battery terminals. But what had happened was the Fogstar battery had switched off, and the voltage being read on the battery terminals was actually being provided by the Victron MPPT Solar Controller. To check the battery voltage accurately, you need to remove either the -ve or the +ve connection on the battery, and to read the voltage even approximately you need to turn off all chargers.

Someone (not me, I think) had the bright idea of going into the Fogstar App and found the disharge option was toggled off! Turned back on and all good again (y)
No idea how it got turned off - As mentioned, the owner was in the shower when the power failed so wasn't him. Was it a glitch? was it a naughty camper playing games? (there is no password/pin protection in the Fogstar App so ANYONE with the app can go into any battery they find and mess around with the settings :( That needs fixing, Fogstar!), or was it someone with their own Fogstar battery turning it off but logging onto the wrong one accidently?

No volt meter with me so can't check. Still waiting to hear from Fogstar.
You need to get one to keep in the Camper! EVERYONE should carry a basic toolkit such as multimeter, spare fuses, spanners and screwdrivers.

We know of one case where a Fogstar decided to turn itself off in the middle of the owner taking a shower!
Was quite flummoxing and three or four people standing around the van trying to work out why the system complained of low voltage whenever any load (such as a couple of LED lights) was put on.

Continuing from the waffle above, we were checking the voltages with a multimeter and they all read ok with lights off, including on the battery terminals. But what had happened was the Fogstar battery had switched off, and the voltage being read on the battery terminals was actually being provided by the Victron MPPT Solar Controller. To check the battery voltage accurately, you need to remove either the -ve or the +ve connection on the battery, and to read the voltage even approximately you need to turn off all chargers.

Someone (not me, I think) had the bright idea of going into the Fogstar App and found the disharge option was toggled off! Turned back on and all good again (y)
No idea how it got turned off - As mentioned, the owner was in the shower when the power failed so wasn't him. Was it a glitch? was it a naughty camper playing games? (there is no password/pin protection in the Fogstar App so ANYONE with the app can go into any battery they find and mess around with the settings :( That needs fixing, Fogstar!), or was it someone with their own Fogstar battery turning it off but logging onto the wrong one accidently?

You need to get one to keep in the Camper! EVERYONE should carry a basic toolkit such as multimeter, spare fuses, spanners and screwdrivers.
Yeh, only considered EHU but of course there's a second input via solar too that needs to be removed before checking the battery voltage. 👍
It's funny how so many MH owners have spent thousands of pounds on their second home and travel around with little or no knowledge or tools to remedy basic issues. As you say a DVM can be had for less than a fiver and a DC clamp meter capable of measuring both voltage and current for about £30, pretty much an essential piece of kit IMHO. I guess lots of folk don't bother because they don't understand electrics and don't know how to use a meter but peeps can always get advice on here on how and what to check for, no good if you've not got a meter 🫤

I had an attack of Fat Finger Syndrome with the Roamer 10 days ago when checking the remaining power, David. Managed to turn the Discharge Off, lost the 12v supply, and in the meantime the Battery dropped to 9.85v for about 15 seconds, whilst I pushed the Discharge On button again. Frighteningly easy foul up to make, especially with Fat Fingers and a small phone ...

Steve

That’s the first time I have heard about a Fogstar turning off. I would think your idea that someone else turned it off as a joke or unintentionally is probably the cause or we would have seen it mentioned more maybe?

I had an attack of Fat Finger Syndrome with the Roamer 10 days ago when checking the remaining power, David. Managed to turn the Discharge Off, lost the 12v supply, and in the meantime the Battery dropped to 9.85v for about 15 seconds, whilst I pushed the Discharge On button again. Frighteningly easy foul up to make, especially with Fat Fingers and a small phone ...

Steve
Technology is dangerous with you senile old gits 😂😂😂

Yeh, only considered EHU but of course there's a second input via solar too that needs to be removed before checking the battery voltage. 👍
It's funny how so many MH owners have spent thousands of pounds on their second home and travel around with little or no knowledge or tools to remedy basic issues. As you say a DVM can be had for less than a fiver and a DC clamp meter capable of measuring both voltage and current for about £30, pretty much an essential piece of kit IMHO. I guess lots of folk don't bother because they don't understand electrics and don't know how to use a meter but peeps can always get advice on here on how and what to check for, no good if you've not got a meter 🫤
In 1969, my Physics Teacher told me not to take the subject at O Level, because I would just be wasting the Examiner's time, and I've learned nothing since that has reduced the accuracy of that advice ... However, I do carry a Meter, so that I can at least measure voltages etc, provided that someone tells me dial position to select and where to put the probes. The first suggestion for the latter showed zero current, but a strong presence of methane ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve
Technology is dangerous with you senile old gits 😂😂😂
I was obviously ahead of my time, Neil. I've been dangerous with technology since I bought an Oric Personal Computer ... :ROFLMAO:. I think Idiot's Guides are excellent ...

Steve

That’s the first time I have heard about a Fogstar turning off. I would think your idea that someone else turned it off as a joke or unintentionally is probably the cause or we would have seen it mentioned more maybe?
As Fogstar batteries are getting more and more "out there" and you have people like Marchie around ( :D ), the prospect of having your battery turned off randomly is getting more and more likely :)

The batteries really need some kind of software lock IMO.

That's basically what I was thinking Neil. If the battery blue tooth isn't password protected then it's the sort of prank that's tempting while someone is showering but folks should be savvy and change any passwords from the default because any idiot could change the BMS settings and really mess you about.

Back