13kg Gas , How Long will It Last ?

jeffmossy

Rally Organiser

I am planning ahead for a long trip to Portugal / Spain , I will be taking 3 x 13kg bottles of gas . My question is if I only used the fridge freezer from the gas supply and nothing else , how long would 1 bottle last ? . Thanks

3 or 4 weeks ? Maybe more
as you imply
No cooking
No hot water
No heating

That's what I was thinking , some days if we do get some winter sun ,then I could use electricity through the invertor so that should save on gas . We have diesel heating and can use a separate gas cooker or the microwave or BBQ , so don't need the gas bottles to power anything else .

What model fridge do you have. Some of the AES ones can switch to solar power when your batteries are topped up. You would need to do a bit of a Mod but it should not be difficult.

Why not use Local gas...
Leave room on the locker for a spanish portugese bottle.
Yes you need pigtails..
Buy and use a local bottle and swap it out as needed..So your uk bottles are reserves.
I like re-fillable but many on wildcamping have suggested this.
And or use local bottles with bbq..
Certainly use local wine to overcome any probs !

What model fridge do you have. Some of the AES ones can switch to solar power when your batteries are topped up. You would need to do a bit of a Mod but it should not be difficult.

It is a Dometic RM8501 fridge / freezer , it does have a S+ connection but when I connect the solar nothing happens , so I presume it is not wired to be used or it is broke

Why not use Local gas...
Leave room on the locker for a spanish portugese bottle.
Yes you need pigtails..
Buy and use a local bottle and swap it out as needed..So your uk bottles are reserves.
I like re-fillable but many on wildcamping have suggested this.
And or use local bottles with bbq..
Certainly use local wine to overcome any probs !

I have decided I don't want to start a collection of different bottles and I just cant be bothered running around looking for LPG stations , I have enough power on board for cooking , tv , heating ect , so I can use the gas only for the fridge / freezer . If I can make a bottle last 4 weeks then I will be happy

Fridges use a certain amount of power..so I think making it work off solar is no great advantage...yes use solar as you can for cooking..we do not but a Remoska seems the "go to" electric cooking solution.
And also camp fires and "Dutch uncle" sorry oven....or cap even.

I’m in Portugal just now and I’m on my 5th 7kg calor gas bottle in 7 weeks away. I’ve run the fridge on gas almost constantly plus used gas to cook, boil kettles, and heat water.

It might be an idea to test your bottles before you leave. I brought 7 bottles with me but one of them won’t thread onto the pigtail so I can’t use it. I’m hoping the sixth bottle will see me over the channel.

Surely isn't this the perfect time to buy and install a refillable system?

I have a 7.5kg or 14.5 ltr Safefill cylinder fitted in my self build that I have also designed in an exterior wall refilling point and am now able to travel both far and wide refilling at any stockists as and when I need to do so.
Doing so doesn't only ensure a greater freedom of movement but it also very significantly reduces the weight.

6kg Calor propane just lasted me 7 days, running fridge, reasonable use of hob & couple of bbq's and a tank of hot water morning and evening. Cost me £24 for a fill. Considering biting the bullet and going for a twin 6 or 11kg Gaslow system.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back