I haven't crossed that one yet, but was astonished to see the towers perfectly reflected the Conwy Suspension Bridge.

It's a case of "If it works, don't change it". 🙂

Yes Tony, Edinburgh's Telford College was named after the great man himself, fair to assume Telford Rd has a similar connection. Our original Crewe Rd South campus, we had an original link from Menia Bridge hanging on wall outside our Engineering Dept. Prior to our 2006 relocation to Waterside development, link was skipped, which we rescued, brought and stored at our new campus. Fast forward a year or three, Prince Charles was giving a heritage speech within our new campus hub, lots of dignitaries attending. I was summoned and tasked to remove link from storage and to design and fit link to wall at college hub entrance, which I carried out. A plaque was also fitted detailing what this lump of cast steel was.

I was at Granton for world skills construction finals, I can't recall seeing the link, I need to ask. Also Tony, the bridge you will have crossed on many occasions while entering or leaving Pathhead on the A68, is another of Telfords design and build.

Incidentally, what was previously known as Stevenson College, Edinburgh (now Edinburgh College Sighthill campus, original name was for the Scottish born Stevenson family brothers, a family where authors were born into (Kidnapped by RL Stevenson) and of course, their engineering feats of building Scotlands Lighthouses, Bell Rock, Skerryvore, Dubh Artach, Muckle Flugga, as some examples.

View attachment 65134

I must have crossed that bridge on the A68 by the Stair Arms thousands of times on my old Honda 50 going to work at BGS (or IGS as it was) at Granton, then Murchison House then Grange Terrace and never new it was a Telford Bridge. Also driven beside it when taking the quieter Edgehead and Ford road many times as well as nearly being carried under it when I fell in the river after a tobogganing “mishap” coming down from the vintage bus storage garage at Pathhead!! Kids wet themselves laughing at my misfortune.

I must have crossed that bridge on the A68 by the Stair Arms thousands of times on my old Honda 50 going to work at BGS (or IGS as it was) at Granton, then Murchison House then Grange Terrace and never new it was a Telford Bridge. Also driven beside it when taking the quieter Edgehead and Ford road many times as well as nearly being carried under it when I fell in the river after a tobogganing “mishap” coming down from the vintage bus storage garage at Pathhead!! Kids wet themselves laughing at my misfortune.
My god, a blast from the past with the auld Honda 50 bike! Murchi Hoose with the ROV as part of the decor, I wonder here the ROV is now?

I dont recall vintage bus storage at Pathhead, where exactly was this?

With you being a geologist (retired) were you aware of the oil wells around Pathhead/Ford?

Edit, bus storage, first left after the bridge heading south?

It seems the first bridge Telford worked on while he was an apprentice was the bridge over the Esk in Langholm.
I have both walked & driven across it many times.

My god, a blast from the past with the auld Honda 50 bike! Murchi Hoose with the ROV as part of the decor, I wonder here the ROV is now?

I dont recall vintage bus storage at Pathhead, where exactly was this?

With you being a geologist (retired) were you aware of the oil wells around Pathhead/Ford?

Edit, bus storage, first left after the bridge heading south?

No idea where the ROV is now but I do remember Tomorrow’s World (Raymond Baxter /Judith Hann era) coming to record a show about the ConSub (or was it ConSub II) ROV that we had developed. We were all arguing about who would present it but in the end BBC said that they never allowed “experts” to present as it needed to be really simple for the man in the street to understand!.

Never knew about the local oil wells but we knew about “Parafin Young” and his antics in West Lothian near Gordon’s place! We often got slight earth tremors in Eskbank (our rented flat in Dunallan House) but these were due to the old coal workings collapsing.

Dead right about the bus shed - cross the bridge going south and turn left before Wahlbergs bakery shop (which is still there after all these years I noticed the other day)

No idea where the ROV is now but I do remember Tomorrow’s World (Raymond Baxter /Judith Hann era) coming to record a show about the ConSub (or was it ConSub II) ROV that we had developed. We were all arguing about who would present it but in the end BBC said that they never allowed “experts” to present as it needed to be really simple for the man in the street to understand!.

Never knew about the local oil wells but we knew about “Parafin Young” and his antics in West Lothian near Gordon’s place! We often got slight earth tremors in Eskbank (our rented flat in Dunallan House) but these were due to the old coal workings collapsing.

Dead right about the bus shed - cross the bridge going south and turn left before Wahlbergs bakery shop (which is still there after all these years I noticed the other day)
ConSub II rings a bell, built by British Aerospace I think? I wonder if Rover is now located at Heriot Watt Uni, which is where BGS relocated to from Loanhead/Bilston, Neil would have been retired by this time?

I remember the buses from years back when passing through, Wahlbergs is a Pathhead institution. Here is a wee clip from the Darcy oil wells.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/oil-in-scotland-near-dalkeith

I remember as kids we would cycle over to Edgehead, while en-route along the track we stopped and explored what was left of the well infrastructure.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back