2/3 burner hob.

Topmast

Hi everyone.
She who must ———. insists on 3 burners on the hob as we mostly wild camp and in turn cook most meals on board. A lot of vans only seem to have 2 burners ,
are 2/3 burners mostly interchangeable I.e just slot in I really don’t want to have to start cutting work tops to make it fit. Our old Hymer is good for work surfaces stove etc. but a lot of newer vans obviously only except you to make a cup of tea and not do any serious food.I suppose most people on holiday are expected to eat out.Thanks for any replies.

possible solution ....
For those occasions that you need the 3rd burner, how about using one of the little portable gas cartridge stoves?
Save having to swap out a presumably perfectly good existing hob and you also have a stove you can use outside which could be handy.

3 burner hobs take up more room.
We mainly use 1 sometimes 2 never 3 !
As suggested above a 3rd burner can be a portable gas ring with the gas cartridges.
It could also be used outside !

possible solution ....
For those occasions that you need the 3rd burner, how about using one of the little portable gas cartridge stoves?
Save having to swap out a presumably perfectly good existing hob and you also have a stove you can use outside which could be handy.
3 burner hobs take up more room.
We mainly use 1 sometimes 2 never 3 !
As suggested above a 3rd burner can be a portable gas ring with the gas cartridges.
It could also be used outside !
Ditto

Reactions: Rec
We have a two burner hob as I found that the three burners of same size were unusable due to tiny gaps between rings. We could effectively only use two land at a time anyway unless they were miniscule. A spare camping stove is excellent idea, or adapt recipes to one pan style of cooking. I always cook a lot in the van, and have lots of "one pot" recipes found online. We have a cadac to use outside .

We have gone from a 3 burner full cooker to a 2 burner but still cook full meals. The main reason we get away with it is we now use stacking pans ie a pan for say boiling potatoes with one or two steamer sections placed on top for veg. It’s a bit healthier steaming the veg and just needs a bit of thought for the timing of when to add the veg steamer. The other burner is then freed up for cooking the meat.

We have gone from a 3 burner full cooker to a 2 burner but still cook full meals. The main reason we get away with it is we now use stacking pans ie a pan for say boiling potatoes with one or two steamer sections placed on top for veg. It’s a bit healthier steaming the veg and just needs a bit of thought for the timing of when to add the veg steamer. The other burner is then freed up for cooking the meat.
Healthier and also much more energy efficient as well - win-win :)

I recommend a small portable induction hob, very versatile and efficient, and gives plenty of options but only when on EHU of course.

Thanks everyone for your replies. At the end of the day I suppose everyone wants something different , for us 3 burners , oven and large work surface would be ideal obviously others feel 2 burners is sufficient.Regarding using a small independent gas burner it just reduces your work top ,have tried it but not for us .Thanks again.

Yes I know but I would rather conserve my batteries, I think the inverter would take a fair bit out if using the induction for long.
Yes, but induction heater on med/high briefly.
Then on simmer or similar to keep warm..
But it is more clutter and would take up space when in use !

Yes, but induction heater on med/high briefly.
Then on simmer or similar to keep warm..
But it is more clutter and would take up space when in use !
It suits me fine and I don’t find it a clutter and storage is no problem of course, what is good for one is not necessarily good for another.

I carry two 500W Induction Hobs. Perfect for just boiling a kettle and very efficient use of energy.
When I used to do VW shows, I had 200Ah of Lead AGM Battery and 200W of Solar and used to use the induction hob in the morning and I would put back any power used from the hob (as well as the overnight usage) with the solar during the day so the battery would be full again for the evening. So using the electric hob is actually using free power.

I carry two 500W Induction Hobs. Perfect for just boiling a kettle and very efficient use of energy.
When I used to do VW shows, I had 200Ah of Lead AGM Battery and 200W of Solar and used to use the induction hob in the morning and I would put back any power used from the hob (as well as the overnight usage) with the solar during the day so the battery would be full again for the evening. So using the electric hob is actually using free power.
We have the more modest Victron Inverter that you installed and the Vango Camping Induction Hob, but the same usage intentions/rationale. We have only used the set up in test mode, outside our Flat. [including tripping over with 2 cups of coffee in the dining area!], in the Scottish Autumn. We Intend to use the set up in Spain on a Winter Sun Trip, so we should have oodles of free solar power, when we eventually get there!

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back