50s 60s child

Fourpenneth of Chips please !
And pay with a Thrupennybit + 1 old penny.
However Vesta curry was invented (Don't tell Channa).
Twintub washing machine
Ascot water heater in the bathroom
Coal bunker.
Leaky conservatories
No double glazing.
Father Christmas was real !
Just seen this i have two boxes of Vesta curry in the van purchased from morrison last week:cool: as morrison now stock the stuff, have put them in my compo rations store in case of a food shortage use by date is 2042
and the twintub it used to have a mind of it's own often walking around the house when in use. Oooh you could by fags five at a time in paper bags.
The coal bunker great place to hide when playing japs and commandos only used when empty which was often due to strikes etc

Last edited:
That's amazing. That woman must have singlehandedly seen every head in Britain :ROFLMAO:
afternoo
It seems as if you have stirred a lot of memories with this thread,obviously the world moves on but what a shame if these memories are lost .I suppose a lot of us older members have fascinating tales to tell but can’t help wondering if the younger generation are even interested?
i recall my parents telling me of their childhood days............compared to them and what they had...or should i say lack of what they had......and most families were in the same position.........i used to think we had it so good........and just couldnt imagine what it must have been like for them......especially when we got wall to wall carpeting and DIVANS.....oh my, thats what they had in the movies......
when i tell my granchildren what it was like for my generation growing up.......and also tales of my parents growing up
they cant take it in either.
they say the same things that i said to my parents......THINGS HAVE CHANGED........
i suppose their kids will say the same to them........only it will all be about computers and technology

I tried explaining to my grandson about jàck frost patterns on the inside of bedroom windows. And having to put the chairs on the edges of the rugs to stop it lifting with the draught.... winter chilblains or mottled legs from sitting too close to the fire! As he spent the first eight years of his life in Thailand, it was an impossible task! When he first came he was astounded that we had a"bonfire" in our front room!

I tried explaining to my grandson about jàck frost patterns on the inside of bedroom windows. And having to put the chairs on the edges of the rugs to stop it lifting with the draught.... winter chilblains or mottled legs from sitting too close to the fire! As he spent the first eight years of his life in Thailand, it was an impossible task! When he first came he was astounded that we had a"bonfire" in our front room!
we had icicles hanging from kitchen window and that was inside......gosh it must have been cold....yet i dont recall ever being cold.....except when outdoors building snowmen and igloos etc.......didnt have gloves...it was a pair of old socks on our hands....and tking them indoors every 5 mins to get them dried out by the fire.........oh happy days

Winter of 63’. London council flat, single glazed Crital windows. I could peal sheets of ice from inside my bedroom window. Success was to peal a complete window size piece of ice.
Again, don’t remember being very cold. Must be because I’d been crushed by the weight of the ex army blankets on my bed. Only continentals he quilts.
Happy daze. Kids today don’t know they are born.
This has taken ages to type. Bloody hard thing to do on a bus. Another wasted morning going into town.?

Ah 1963 !! A strange year for me, due to an unfortunate situation, my super star aspirations were brought to a sudden and catastrophic halt. It was the Mods and Rocker period and I got into a bit of grief, but it turned out to be the best year in my life------------------------------December '63, ooh what a night,
, I met Sue at a local Christmas dance, she was just 17, well you know what I mean, the way she looked was way beyond compare
. I walked her home that night, from Gatley to Councillor Lane Cheadle, then I had to walk home back to Gatley, a round trip of about 4 miles
Lifes like that sometimes

Last edited:
Wellies in the winter and pumps in the summer, wow such memories. I don't know about 'Gypsy Tart' but we had Manchester Tart which was probably the same, pastry, anonymous jam and custard, but bloomin lovely all the same, and then there was pink custard !!!!!!!Why or how that was created is a mystery------gruesome stuff though. At my secondary school in Cheadle we still had air raid shelters around the sports field, I suppose that it was due to its proximity to Ringway Aerodrome, but they were a wonderful place to explore and exploit the exuberance's of pubescent youth---------oh happy days

Manchester tart - not had that in years, as you say bloomin lovely, going to have to make one now.

Was that Moseley school by any chance?

Oh, you were dead posh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was at Broadway sec mod. Sue was too, but she became posh too. After becoming head girl she was transferred to Cheadle Girls Grammar School where she got dozens of O levels and then met this daft thick peasant in 1963, and is still stuck with him

Ah, I should've read more of the thread. I went to Moseley, my sister to the girls school and my brother to broadway

I have a problem though when folks, no matter how much I love them, have to resort to foul language to make a point.
That said though, Moseley Hall Grammar, bloomin ' 'eck. No, I was Broadway, I did get a CSE, but my posh bird got 9 'o' levels after she went over to the high school, but still ended up with me

Living in Dudley I remember our first holiday to the seaside at rhyl, one day it was very wet so we went on a charabanc mystery trip, you guessed it, ended up at Dudley Zoo!

Sorry folks, I feel that I need to apologise for sounding off in my previous post, I'm, it seems, one of those dying group of folks who find expletives and profanities offensive and unnecessary. We are, as a nation, holders of the most expressive and complete language in Europe. We have French, German,Latin and those from the Nordic states to thank for it, we have a multitude of ways to show emotion no matter what our language route, but still we tend to drop to the lowest and easiest common denominator. There are many more descriptive and illuminating ways of illustrating a view, but sadly, 4 letters seem to be the way to go these days

Sorry folks, I feel that I need to apologise for sounding off in my previous post, I'm, it seems, one of those dying group of folks who find expletives and profanities offensive and unnecessary. We are, as a nation, holders of the most expressive and complete language in Europe. We have French, German,Latin and those from the Nordic states to thank for it, we have a multitude of ways to show emotion no matter what our language route, but still we tend to drop to the lowest and easiest common denominator. There are many more descriptive and illuminating ways of illustrating a view, but sadly, 4 letters seem to be the way to go these days

Well I for one love a good 4 letter word they seem to relieve a lot of pent up tension and anger and it’s far better out than in but what do I know I’m just a lowly northerner . }!]<^…$$_ $€¥_[]<\¥[{{…????

Last edited:
Well I for one love a good 4 letter word they seam to relieve a lot of pent up tension and anger and it’s far better out than in but what do I know I’m just a lowly northerner . }!]<^…$$_ $€¥_[]<\¥[{{…????
Don’t worry Annie, in my experience, most people have not only said it, but done it as well.?
Btw. You’re not a lowly northerner, just a bit on the short side ?

Well I for one love a good 4 letter word they seem to relieve a lot of pent up tension and anger and it’s far better out than in but what do I know I’m just a lowly northerner . }!]<^…$$_ $€¥_[]<\¥[{{…????

At last the truth is out.
I had absolutely no idea that you've been a closet 4-letter-worder all these years, Annie.
We learn something new every day.

Colin ???

Annie, If you are a lowly Northerner, then so am I, although slightly less northern than you and I do too enjoy venting my spleen too, but not in print and damn, blast and hells bells seem to be the limit of my crossness. But please chuck, don't be offended, without diversity life would be boring and we'd have nowt t' moan abart

Agree with a lot of it, but:
* Pasta had not been invented. *Yes it had it was in tomato sauce in cans by Heinz and was served on toast instead of beans for tea sometimes.
*Curry was an unknown entity. * No, it came in boxes made by Vesta and had to be boiled up in water for 20 mins.
* Leftovers went in the dog. * They still do.
* Cheese only ever came in a hard lump. * We often had cottage cheese, Cheshire or Edam as well as Cheddar, but I had no idea things like Gloucester and Leicester cheese were a real thing
* Eggs were not called ‘free range’ they just were, and the shells were white. No, ours came from the garden and some were brown 'cos we kept our own hens. Sunday dinner was usually chicken. ;)
* French bread - Mum often bought one for tea, it was sliced up and went round a family of 5.

Bet you had not many eggs if you eat the chickens at weekends.

Born 58 but sixties was my time,i was lucky as lived with g/parents at edge of country,had a new car every 18 mths,nice gardens,good food,fridge,washing m and spin dryer,inside toilet etc.
One thing i do remember was the ice on the inside of windows as single glass and no c/heating only a coal fire,but one day gran came home from co-op belfast with 3 electric blankets much to the complaints from my g/father about cost of lecy and sure they would kill us,ha ha.
Then the first school before we got a new mod one,and then there was the cane,yelp,wonderfull days,me in the middle of the three boys in our f/garden about 65/67

back garden 352 glebe rd.jpgFB fulmar 352 glebe rd.jpgme nana ford anglia.jpgme steven wiggy orr 352 glebe rd.jpgr diplomat.jpgcarnmoney prim.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back