7m + motorhomes

Gixer

Free Member

I have asked a few questions, as a newbie, and still looking for my first MH, is there an inclusive guide as to where a 7m+ MH would cost more - I have read about some ferries, toll roads etc but can't find enough info to help me decide on my purchase, thanks for any answers

We changed from a 6.5 meter to 7.5 and so far we haven’t been charged any extra we use the tunnel when going to Europe, they charge the same price for any length of motorhome

My vans 8+ meters we used to use Morton hall site in Edinburgh a couple of times a year but now won’t go anywhere near as they started charging an extra £8 per night if you’re van was over 8 meters same pitch if you were smaller but £8 extra to use same space crazy there loss

Most ferry companies and Norwegian Ferries will cost a bit more but if it the van you like the additional costs are negligible compared with the extra comfort and enjoyment...
No additional issues in say UK car-parks even 6.5 metres is not easy.
As helen262 suggests use the shuttle for Europe

on tolls it’s height rather than length if you break 3 mts they will charge you lorry rates but you can press a button just say camping car & they sually drop it down

I have asked a few questions, as a newbie, and still looking for my first MH, is there an inclusive guide as to where a 7m+ MH would cost more - I have read about some ferries, toll roads etc. toll roads

I think irish ferrys charge more if over 6.2 though one ro ro over foil here let me on at car price and mine is over by about six inches.

A better point of view would be to think about what is the right size for your needs. How many beds, travel seats, load capacity and what your intended use is. I down sized because I was struggling with narrow roads, parking, getting into attractions but mostly it was not good for wild camping. Go to some shows, take a test drive and hire one for a weekend.

The main problem really is parking. Supermarkets in the UK can be a bit funny about you taking 2 bays up, but even a van smaller than 7 m will struggle to get in a bay.

Other than that, most motorhomes are around 2.3m wide so road widths be be no more of an issue than with smaller vans.

Of course the real bonus of a longer van is inside space, you can have a van with a permanent bed and enough room to lounge around, especially when it rains!

as @Jenrai says in the overall scheme of things having to pay a few quid more on odd occasions due to length difference , is not such a big factor as payload , and layout , because they will restrict you far more than the cost , and that includes enjoyment . JMHO

The main problem really is parking. Supermarkets in the UK can be a bit funny about you taking 2 bays up, but even a van smaller than 7 m will struggle to get in a bay.

Other than that, most motorhomes are around 2.3m wide so road widths be be no more of an issue than with smaller vans.

Of course the real bonus of a longer van is inside space, you can have a van with a permanent bed and enough room to lounge around, especially when it rains!
2 Bays? 4 is safer, less chance of getting boxed in. ;)

I'm with Jenrai on this. We went from a caravan to a 7m motorhome and now we're on our 3rd 6m pvc. 6m is plenty big enough for us, we go to Spain for 3 months in winter and don't feel cramped, we're out walking/cycling during the day, sit out in the afternoon and inside in the evening. It's easier to drive, no huge overhang to worry about, better for the mountain roads in Spain & UK and you can get into any campsite or "wild-camping" space. A drive-away awning can give a bit extra room for not much extra weight and is a good place to park the dog.

6m won't suit everyone, of course, so, as Jenrai says start by thinking about your needs etc before taking the plunge.

Thanks Ardachaidh, I've been thinking about pvc's as they are only a little narrower than mh's I can afford [about 30cm], and those like the Autoquest CV40 have a reasonable payload.

We converted from a standard motorhome to a pvc for exactly the reasons Ardachaidh has stated.

With the possible exception of the loo, which is compact, it's suited our needs perfectly. We'd originally considered having an offset front dinette, but even though we're both slim, we felt those models provided poor access to the oven. An unexpected bonus is that it's so easy to shake the bedding out of the rear doors each morning.

I've found that 6m is often the cut off point on price lists, although the tunnel just goes on height. The width doesn't make too much difference when you're driving around... trucks, buses and coaches are wider then any of us, so if they can cope with most roads then we can too. My MH is 6m long and 2.2m wide and I rarely have issues... except once in Cornwall passing the daddy of all tractors! If you're happy to make up the bed at night or get a MH with a drop down bed, you'll have oodles more living and lounging space in a modest sized van or pvc, which suits me much better. I know people like a fixed bed with a garage underneath but I honestly think it often just leads to carrying more 'stuff' than you really need.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back