A Beautiful Bird

A Beautiful Bird

This little chap joined us yesterday afternoon. It's a juvenile so at the moment only about 3/4 of full size.
This is one of my favourite European birds and so distinctive. When in alert mode the head feathers stand up like a Mohican haircut.
So what is it and what's your favourite feathered European bird?

WP_20171125_17_10_36_Pro (2).jpg

Colin ???

It's a Hoopoe.....they always appear here in our village in Bulgaria every year..I took this one which came pretty close which is unusual as they fly off as soon as a human/cat/dog appears
Hoopoe three.jpg

If you hear it, you'll realise how it got it's name!

karakachan;n6721 said:
It's a Hoopoe.....they always appear here in our village in Bulgaria every year..I took this one which came pretty close which is unusual as they fly off as soon as a human/cat/dog appears

Thanks karakachan. That's a great photo! I've seen them in southern Spain with beaks full of grubs and insects which they'd collected for their young. Lots of their characteristics remind me of the Jay - similar colouring (though the hoopoe lacks blue) and also wary of humans.

Colin ???

Edina;n6723 said:
If you hear it, you'll realise how it got it's name!

This one didn't call - but yes, you're right Edina!

Colin ???

8F77876C-36F2-4914-8DE6-6BA5A0DE52E2.jpeg I used to be a beautiful bird but alas time has taken its toll.

Campervanannie;n6739 said:
I used to be a beautiful bird but alas time has taken its toll.

That made me grin!

Colin ???

Campervanannie;n6739 said:
I used to be a beautiful bird but alas time has taken its toll.

Lose the wings Annie, they make you look angelic.:Smiling_Face_with_H

my beautiful bird is the one that comes with me in the camper & feeds me.
she also keeps me warm on a cold night.
tony

tony;n6823 said:
my beautiful bird is the one that comes with me in the camper & feeds me.
she also keeps me warm on a cold night.
tony

How many Brownie points are you short of now, Tony? By my standards you're doing incredibly well right now!

Colin ???

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back