A fairer deal for disabled people of pension age

Pudsey Bear

To sign click below

Not a chance in Hell, Kev. The Chancellor has already ruled out Tax Cuts [and the Opposition are pretty much mirroring the UK Government position], there is a Cost of Living Crisis that is going to expand with a vengeance as the new Energy Tariffs, the new Fixed Rate Mortgage Deals increases, and the 75%-90% commonplace Vehicle Insurance Premiums bite for the working population; this is the generation that has been denied Occupational Pension Schemes [Final Salary], will have to work even longer to get a State Pension, has not benefited from free Tertiary Education, and will have to face its Old Age with whatever is left of the NHS ...

Steve

True, Kev; but, after you make all that effort, sod all will change [except in economic terms, for the worse once the interest rate hikes begin to bite]

Steve
What effort? a few clicks, this country is ruined by apathy and is getting worse all the time.

The pensioners are revolting, well at least the ones who give a shit.

What effort? a few clicks, this country is ruined by apathy and is getting worse all the time.

The effort you referred to in Post #3. The two main political parties are opposed to Tax Cuts, the State Pensioners got an 8.08% rise net of Basic Rate Income Tax, well ahead of general wage settlements that have been won after industrial action [and consequent loss of earnings], so sympathy for the Pensioners' plight is unlikely to run high, and the chances of winning any more concessions/tax cuts from Central Government are slim to non-existent

Steve

As a disabled person I don’t agree with some of this, it was when they combined mobility allowance with disability living allowance that it opened the floodgates for people who wouldn’t have qualified to get the mobility component.
Concessions for disabled car users are given to try get the disabled person closer to an able bodied person.

If I had one arm instead of one leg a car would not be a necessity to me, (not wanting to make light of any type of disability here just trying to get across my thinking). Any car concession should be linked to ability.

Edit: if you get the mobility component of DLA or PIp then you can have one vehicle exempt from ‘road tax’

You can't have everything.

Not after the Government paid peoples wages for a long time, kept Business afloat and then subsidised domestic electric and gas prices. Covid and Putin combined to kick us in the balls.

There are more pressing matters for Government to concentrate on, like the NHS waiting lists. These poor Consultants are suffering ..... perhaps that is why the Nuffield charged me around £240 an hour to see a moonlighting NHS Consultant.

They won’t pay the bloody BBC licence fee for pensioners so what makes you they will pay the road tax , much as I dislike this government we cannot as a nation keep getting handouts from the government somewhere along the line someone has to pay for it.

The effort you referred to in Post #3. The two main political parties are opposed to Tax Cuts, the State Pensioners got an 8.08% rise net of Basic Rate Income Tax, well ahead of general wage settlements that have been won after industrial action [and consequent loss of earnings], so sympathy for the Pensioners' plight is unlikely to run high, and the chances of winning any more concessions/tax cuts from Central Government are slim to non-existent

Steve
Still not much effort Steve, no more than writing a long post on here which get us nowhere.

They won’t pay the bloody BBC licence fee for pensioners so what makes you they will pay the road tax , much as I dislike this government we cannot as a nation keep getting handouts from the government somewhere along the line someone has to pay for it.
No one would pay it Annie, they just wouldn't make us pay it, it's just another tax, and if they did NEED the money get it from the likes of Amazon, and other companies that pay little or nothing, windfall taxes on oil companies.

To my mind we have paid into this system since we started work, not just in NI stamps, but income tax on what we worked for, VAT, RFL, Council tax etc I'd just like to see a bit of it coming back, or just not having to pay out so much when our income is so much less with no way of increasing it when you can no longer work.

No one would pay it Annie, they just wouldn't make us pay it, it's just another tax, and if they did NEED the money get it from the likes of Amazon, and other companies that pay little or nothing, windfall taxes on oil companies.

To my mind we have paid into this system since we started work, not just in NI stamps, but income tax on what we worked for, VAT, RFL, Council tax etc I'd just like to see a bit of it coming back, or just not having to pay out so much when our income is so much less with no way of increasing it when you can no longer work.
Yes they would because the money that would come into the coffers from the road tax has to be replaced with something else to try and balance the books it’s not a one way system money out and nothing coming in, as for paying into the system over the years this money has been used over the years in schools, hospitals, dentists, infrastructure and the like yes a lot has been wasted but piling more pressure on an already broken failing system is not going to help.

Yes they would because the money that would come into the coffers from the road tax has to be replaced with something else to try and balance the books it’s not a one way system money out and nothing coming in, as for paying into the system over the years this money has been used over the years in schools, hospitals, dentists, infrastructure and the like yes a lot has been wasted but piling more pressure on an already broken failing system is not going to help.
There has been no dedicated/ringfenced tax in UK now, Annie, since about 1973. All tax receipts go into General Taxation and payments are then disbursed under the different Budget Headings, with any shortfall being made up via the Government short-term Overdraft facility with the Bank of England, and/or the sale proceeds of Gilt Edged Securities

Modern Monetary Theory says that an Independent Government can never run out of money [and there is evidence to suggest that the current crop of politicians only refer to the need to balance the books as a defence against Pay Claims/Budget increase requests etc], because it just releases more money via Quantitative Easing ['QE']; provided that money supports new/expanded economic activity, it will not be inflationary, and the actual cost of the QE is reduced as jobs are created, and income tax and indirect taxes such as VAT are generated

There is an article in the Guardian today, where the UK Government has shot itself in the foot after fiddling the Overseas Development Budget ['ODA'] [which it reduced from 0.7% to 0.5% of GDP anyway] by allocating the expenditure for accommodating Asylum Seekers in hotels against the ODA; unfortunately, the hotels have to charge VAT on the accommodation, so the thick end of 20% has been wasted [some expenditure can be charged at 10% VAT but there seems to be problems identifying these items]. The cost of the VAT is between £200 million and £400 million

Steve

There has been no dedicated/ringfenced tax in UK now, Annie, since about 1973. All tax receipts go into General Taxation and payments are then disbursed under the different Budget Headings, with any shortfall being made up via the Government short-term Overdraft facility with the Bank of England, and/or the sale proceeds of Gilt Edged Securities

Modern Monetary Theory says that an Independent Government can never run out of money [and there is evidence to suggest that the current crop of politicians only refer to the need to balance the books as a defence against Pay Claims/Budget increase requests etc], because it just releases more money via Quantitative Easing ['QE']; provided that money supports new/expanded economic activity, it will not be inflationary, and the actual cost of the QE is reduced as jobs are created, and income tax and indirect taxes such as VAT are generated

There is an article in the Guardian today, where the UK Government has shot itself in the foot after fiddling the Overseas Development Budget ['ODA'] [which it reduced from 0.7% to 0.5% of GDP anyway] by allocating the expenditure for accommodating Asylum Seekers in hotels against the ODA; unfortunately, the hotels have to charge VAT on the accommodation, so the thick end of 20% has been wasted [some expenditure can be charged at 10% VAT but there seems to be problems identifying these items]. The cost of the VAT is between £200 million and £400 million

Steve
Oh well that’s me told and corrected but I’m still not signing the petition . 😂

Continuing off topic rather QE is quite complex and actually is funded in the UK neither by government borrowing nor taxation. See https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/quantitative-easing for a fuller explanation.
I didn't suggest that QE was funded by borrowing or by taxation; I linked the topic to the general revenues and said that QE creates new money; I also stated that it is non-inflationary if it funds new economic activity. My comments linked to Annie's reference to services having to be paid for, and Annie's comment was attached to my reply

Professor Richard Murphy writes a number of articles on the subject and challenges the orthodoxy of UK Government and Bank of England views; a perfectly permissible practice, given that Modern Monetary Theory continues to evolve, and, when the first tranche of QE was created, George Osborne, economists and the serious financial journalists started a heated debate on whether a] A Government issuing QE was issuing debt or merely creating new money; and b] whether, if there was a debt created, whether the interest should be netted against the original QE issue, a course which Mr Osborne was proposing. Professor Murphy argues that a Government issuing QE is creating its won money and it cannot therefore be creating debt, so including the QE issues in UK Debt is wrong, and merely overstates the level of UK Debt, though this suits the purpose of some politicians

Steve

I didn't suggest that QE was funded by borrowing or by taxation; I linked the topic to the general revenues and said that QE creates new money; I also stated that it is non-inflationary if it funds new economic activity. My comments linked to Annie's reference to services having to be paid for, and Annie's comment was attached to my reply

Professor Richard Murphy writes a number of articles on the subject and challenges the orthodoxy of UK Government and Bank of England views; a perfectly permissible practice, given that Modern Monetary Theory continues to evolve, and, when the first tranche of QE was created, George Osborne, economists and the serious financial journalists started a heated debate on whether a] A Government issuing QE was issuing debt or merely creating new money; and b] whether, if there was a debt created, whether the interest should be netted against the original QE issue, a course which Mr Osborne was proposing. Professor Murphy argues that a Government issuing QE is creating its won money and it cannot therefore be creating debt, so including the QE issues in UK Debt is wrong, and merely overstates the level of UK Debt, though this suits the purpose of some politicians

Steve
I’m not suggesting that you said that. I just link to the generally accepted explanation of QE in case it interests anyone. There will always be those who disagree with the mainstream economic theory of the time. Most people actually have little interest in economics I think, but actually it can be very interesting.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back