A letter to my MP.

The Government didn’t want to continue with the pet passport scheme as it was or negotiate longer stays in the EU when they finalised their “deal” so it’s unlikely they will be interested in doing anything now.
Obvious question , why not ?

Obvious question , why not ?
Because our Government wanted a Third Party Relationship with the EU. We lay down the border rules for the UK and the EU lays down the border rules for the EU i.e Schengen rules.

If we want to to have better access to the EU they will probably just say “join Schengen” and I can’t see that being acceptable to us. If the States in the EU think they are missing out on tourism by sticking to 90 days they might look for a solution but my impression is that is not a high priority. Right now they are looking more concerned with making sure that no one else leaves and making Brexit too easy doesn’t fit with that.

It is also possible that our Government would rather we spent our pensions at home rather than abroad.

Good idea to write to your MP, I've always advocated doing it when you have an issue, many are just too lazy or plain can't be bothered or even don't expect a reply, I am not sure if it still applies but at one time if you asked an MP a question they were bound to provide an answer, so get cracking if you want to see changes to how we are treated in our motorhomes etc.

Having spent a brief period of my previous life in a department which had MP letters sent to it I can assure you that if you write to your MP and he deems it requires information gathering the resulting letter from an MP to a department results in a burst of serious activity. The information sent back to the MP has to be correct and be able to be proven. At least it was in my day….. Remember that if the question has to be answered in the commons then it is recorded on Hansard for posterity and is open to public scrutiny. However that usually results in extremely carefully thought out answers……

Well said Roger I have just copied your letter and sent it to my MP through Pudsey Bears link https://www.writetothem.com/about-qa#how maybe as many as possible should do the same[/QUOTE]
Dear Mr Freeman,
As one of your constitutes, I am writing to ask for your help please. I have recently retired, and now spend the majority of my time touring the UK and Europe, together with my wife, in our Motorhome.
I am incensed that whoever negotiated the Brexit agreement has limited Britains to a 90 day stay in Europe, but has allowed Europeans to visit the UK for 180 days. That does not even come close to a reciprocal deal.
Also the passport, that contains every procedure, tablet, medicine, inspection that my dog has ever had, is now no longer a legal document, instead we have to pay for a recently invented Animal Health Certificate costing in the region of £145, which is only valid for four months. The irony is that you have to take the old (illegal) passport to the vet, in order that the details can be copied! Where is the fairness in penalising British dog owning tourists, when we don’t have an issue with rabies in this Country?
Sir, if you have any influence within our Government, please pass my thoughts to anyone and everyone who is in a position to reconsider our Brexit agreement and able to introduce a fair and balanced deal for the British people.
My best regards,

Well said Roger, I have just copied your letter and sent it to my MP through Pudsey Bears link https://www.writetothem.com/about-qa#how maybe as many as possible should do the same

Last edited:
About the only outcome achievable by your MP in concert with other UK MPs will be to change the restrictions on EU visitors to UK to 90 in 180 instead of the 180 in 360 . Going the otherway is for the EU to decide . ( unlikely ) JMHO

I've not been into Europe since the mid 90s, but was there any restrictions then and regardless of that, why are there any restrictions at all?

Doesn't really answer the question though :( :(

I asked two questions though.

No worries, I've not kept up to this B stuff as much as I perhaps should.

Because our Government wanted a Third Party Relationship with the EU. We lay down the border rules for the UK and the EU lays down the border rules for the EU i.e Schengen rules.

If we want to to have better access to the EU they will probably just say “join Schengen” and I can’t see that being acceptable to us. If the States in the EU think they are missing out on tourism by sticking to 90 days they might look for a solution but my impression is that is not a high priority. Right now they are looking more concerned with making sure that no one else leaves and making Brexit too easy doesn’t fit with that.

It is also possible that our Government would rather we spent our pensions at home rather than abroad.
All , possibly , very true . The 90 day rule may well make sense within that context but the dog passport nonsense just seems a money maker for vets .
Obviously moaning about the things that affect me most

All , possibly , very true . The 90 day rule may well make sense within that context but the dog passport nonsense just seems a money maker for vets .
Not being a dog owner these things are something I know very little about but I can well believe there are matters that could be done better.

Because our Government wanted a Third Party Relationship with the EU……………………………………….It is also possible that our Government would rather we spent our pensions at home rather than abroad.
Too late… we moved to France so spend all our pension here and ( back on the motorhome theme) bought our new motorhome here a couple of years ago.
I don’t think the 90 day rule will affect tourism in the EU much, the vast majority of people have much shorter holidays with much larger initial outlays than someone touring long term in a motorhome but it is a major blow to those with second homes and those that want to overwinter in their motorhomes meaning later tours of the continent will be somewhat restricted in length.

That's maybe how it seems - a money maker - but it's a consequence of being a 3rd country, which is what we are now, like many other countries not in the EU.

Longer touring could still be possible, but it would require moving out of the "90/180 day area" for the requisite period before moving back in again. Another consequence of being a 3rd country and subject to the same rules as all other 3rd countries.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back