I do nOT want an Ipad
64GB storage and maybe 4gB ram
so goos quality etc
My thoughts are
Huawei @ £275

Samsung @£385

Lenovo @ £220

any thoughts etc welcome
it does not need a simcard slot..i will tether is to my phone (samsung) for w-fi
i like samsung and am prepared to pay a bit more !
Huawei is ahead at this stage !

My ain is to "do away with the laptop" whilst travelling..All my data is cloud based
I have a bluetooth keyboad and mouse
just need a sutable "Office App" in preference to google sheets etc which demands the internet !

Last edited:
I am no techy but we got the Samsung tablet for my wife last year as her old (non Samsung) one was proving to be ineffective. She is very happy with it - it does everything she wants/needs. I use it when we are away in the moho, rather than taking my laptop, and its great. No issues at all.

We didn't want to pay Apple prices so would certainly get one again in the future.

I also bought a case with a detachable keyboard for it as well (about 20 quid on Fleabay) in case we need to type more than a small email etc, whilst away. I think it connects via bluetooth.

A bit of a hijack, I also would like a larger tablet, do the other makers of tablet computers compare in terms of the clarity of the display, I am using an ipad mini at the moment?

The onesI linked to are all 10in or so
8 in are available but.......
I had one of the early 10 in ..it was fine
but once it was too old I bough a s/h smallwer one..the screen is 7in
it has an old os and the on-screen keyboard is cr@p
It is also limited in rom Ram etc and a tad slow

I am no techy but we got the Samsung tablet for my wife last year as her old (non Samsung) one was proving to be ineffective. She is very happy with it - it does everything she wants/needs. I use it when we are away in the moho, rather than taking my laptop, and its great. No issues at all.

We didn't want to pay Apple prices so would certainly get one again in the future.

I also bought a case with a detachable keyboard for it as well (about 20 quid on Fleabay) in case we need to type more than a small email etc, whilst away. I think it connects via bluetooth.
iPad 8th generation is actually £60 cheaper than the Samsung listed here. Top spec models are eye watering but you can still get some great value Apple gear, you just need to look past the headlines 👍

Thanks but tried to help a friend with a new ipad.
Just did not get on with it..Only wanted to transfer some photos..
Could not do it directly..Hsad to email them
Happy with androids and do not want or need a new learning curve !

iPad 8th generation is actually £60 cheaper than the Samsung listed here. Top spec models are eye watering but you can still get some great value Apple gear, you just need to look past the headlines 👍

When we compared the 2 models at the time, the Apple was 100 quid more expensive. As I said I'm no techie so couldn't comment on whether there would be £100 worth of extra benefit to us especially as we are very light users: just emails and a bit of browsing really. In fact when we are away its normally just emails and the BBC for the news and sport.

Agree, I always buy Apple refurbished. Stock changes daily on the Apple site so you have to keep checking until what you want is available.
My latest MacBook Pro is brand new and I suspect it was returned unused for whatever reason, saved £150.00.

Apple may be good or bad..BUT..
I do not want one..
They are IMO overpriced.!
You can get good deals on "Hardly used" Samsumgs etc. Offering good 2nd hand apples is not a comparison.
I buy 2nd hand but this is looking at new devices.
You are welcome to your opinion but a refurbished apple is not on MY shopping list !

10 inch ones on ebay for £65 plus, we have two but find with all types the usb socket wears and becomes impossible to charge after a year or less.
I dont like them as they are full of google spyware and bugs, so far I cannot find an open-source tablet so I can download a linux distro or pure android sailfish or others.

That is why I want New
Trev your ususl spyware rant which I understand BUT does it actually affext the end user ???
Ebay or Cr@pbay ?
If I want refurbished or similar I will choose laptops direct or Entertaainment exchange (CEX)
AND I have used both x2 without issue

Have no experience of the other two, I use the Samsung version for work and find it reliable and uncomplicated just like a galaxy phone really.
I also use it as a sat nav with co-pilot 👍

Apples similar to Marmite !!!!!
It is quite amusing that despite clearly saying "no apples" you get given ways to get an apple :D

I am with you! Apple be gone!

FWIW, I have a pair of Lenovo Tab 3 10" Tablets.
Both Android based, but one has a built-in Projector which can be quite handy when lying in bed and want to watch a bit of Youtube or a movie. Project it at the ceiling and have a "cinema experience" 🎥

Samsung for me. Looking on the Argos website recently, and noticed there was some kind of disclaimer on all the Huawei products, that they may not be supported by software.

Samsung for me too, as a complete numpty, I can still drive it. I'm on my 2nd one, the 1st one I passed on to one of our group, I assume it's still ok. It also stays well clear of the expensive fruit based add ons too

I have had a couple of Lenovo 10" tablets, the latest being a Smart Tab P10, with which I am very pleased. I would not hesitate to go for the Lenovo (which you may find slightly cheaper elsewhere, and certainly cheaper if you were to settle for the 64GB storage that you originally mentioned).

I have just ordered today a 10.1in chinese tablet from Amazon
4gb / 128gb & accepts 256gb sd card
Octacore processor & 2.8GHz CPU speed
running Android 10
Dual sim 4G

All for the princely sum of £149.99

Can't argue with that spec for that price

That is why I want New
Trev your ususl spyware rant which I understand BUT does it actually affext the end user ???
Ebay or Cr@pbay ?
If I want refurbished or similar I will choose laptops direct or Entertaainment exchange (CEX)
AND I have used both x2 without issue
The new, and yes it will effect you when all your data and passwords get nicked, and maybe bank acc details, since my kids started using them we have had nothing but pestering stuff on them and their mobiles, plus home landline, all nicked of there mobiles or tabs.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back