Adder Packs

andromeda

A friend of mine has just posted about Adder Packs. A friend of hers dog was bitten in Northumberland. Any know abit this? Going to check it out with my vets

The website says

** All Adder Packs are temporarily out of stock due to high demand **​

That's a shame, I think I need one.
Jet got bitten by a snake last thursday but I didn't realise straightaway, I thought she'd just cut her foot on something.
It may have just been a grass snake but Vet says we won't know until it either heals up nicely or necrotises. Lovely.
He said treatment with anti venom isn't any use unless it's done pretty much as soon as it happens, so if that is what this product is then it could be useful.
He said the worst case he's had, the flesh on the dog's leg rotted away so much it had to have a skin graft.
She's on metacam and two different antibiotics, cost me over £100.

The website says

Jet got bitten by a snake last thursday but I didn't realise straightaway, I thought she'd just cut her foot on something.
It may have just been a grass snake but Vet says we won't know until it either heals up nicely or necrotises. Lovely.
He said treatment with anti venom isn't any use unless it's done pretty much as soon as it happens, so if that is what this product is then it could be useful.
He said the worst case he's had, the flesh on the dog's leg rotted away so much it had to have a skin graft.
Yep that's the one

The website says

Do grass snakes bite?

We have plenty of those in our garden and I used to catch them (and slow worms) as a kid but wouldn't have if I knew that they bit
yikes_anim.gif

Do grass snakes bite?

We have plenty of those in our garden and I used to catch them (and slow worms) as a kid but wouldn't have if I knew that they bit
yikes_anim.gif
They bite their food but do not have any venom so not dangerous.

Do grass snakes bite?

yikes_anim.gif
Apparently they can occasionally if startled. There's also a possibility of a so-called "dry" adder bite where no venom is produced. The Vet thought may be grass snake as it was in a wet wood where grass snakes would be more likely than adders, and they haven't had any adder bites from that area before.
Anyway, crossing my fingers, it looks to me as though it's healing well.

Reactions: GMJ
We had a tortoise once when I was a kid that bit my dad. Does that count? :D

We all thought it was hilarious but he didn't as it took a chunk out of his finger
rofl.gif

There seems to be evidence that piriton is a good thing to have in case of adder bites BUT worth asking your own vet and always get veterinary help asap. Not to replace emergency care. We used to keep steroid tablets with us to treat allergic reactions to processionary caterpillar contact in Spain, France and Portugal..

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back