Aframe towbars

TissyD

Can anybody give me recommendations for having an A Frame fitted to my smart car in East Yorkshire. I want it fully legal as the one that as on my last car was not braked. Has anyone any idea on prices please.

As these are now illegal across mainland Europe it was noticeable that on our recent 2 month tour down to Spain we only saw 1 the whole time.

A marked difference from previous years...

Graham when your MH is not being used

As these are now illegal across mainland Europe it was noticeable that on our recent 2 month tour down to Spain we only saw 1 the whole time.

A marked difference from previous years...

Graham when your MH is not being used
Thanks I have no intention of going out of the UK with it but it is just handy to have to save taking a 28 footer into towns.

When we had our tag axle, we had a tow bar and a-frame fitted by: http://www.tow-bars2tow-cars.com/ They are very knowledgable and helpful. When we came to change to a smaller MH, it had a tow bar already but only a 5-pin socket and Tow-bars2tow-cars helped us with getting the right connections for the full system.

Can anybody give me recommendations for having an A Frame fitted to my smart car in East Yorkshire. I want it fully legal as the one that as on my last car was not braked. Has anyone any idea on prices please.
I do wonder why you would tow a car, it is so much cheaper for a car to tow a caravan, no tax or mot (at the moment)

I do wonder why you would tow a car, it is so much cheaper for a car to tow a caravan, no tax or mot (at the moment)
I have been a caravanner in the past but prefer the freedom of the motorhome. There are times when the motorhome is too large to take into towns that we would like to visit.

Personally I'm not in favour of motorhomes towing cars, the reason why it seems to encourage people to park up sometimes for weeks/months at a time in wild camping spots we used to use in Spain. In a motorhome you have limited resources & usually have to move every 2-3 days having use of a car allows people to stay indefinitely & in doing so gets the locals annoyed & getting the places closed. We've had plenty experience of this in Spain especially. At one spot somebody happily told us they had been there for 2 months, even had an area marked out with water bottles for his car to be parked. What's wrong with using public transport, bikes or even a small motorbike/scooter. As somebody mentioned towing a car now seem to be illegal in the EU should help.

I "THINK?" they are permissable for recovery but definitely not for routine usage.
I'm happy to be corrected if there is a specific regulation I've missed.

If you tow a smart make douple sure you are in neutral or the gearbox selects 2 gear at about 12mph blows engine and gearbox
So mine is on a trailer

If you tow a smart make douple sure you are in neutral or the gearbox selects 2 gear at about 12mph blows engine and gearbox
So mine is on a trailer

Beware the false neutral on Smarts. The selector can sometimes be in the neutral position with the car still in gear. Selecting neutral without the engine running can be deceptive, it can stay in gear.

My Smart was also prone to serious wheel wobble if I pulled away on a sharp turn and one of the wheels caught a pot hole or mini roundabout hump. The only way to stop it was to pull up and start again. I now tow a manual VW Up on the same A-frame which is much better behaved.

I’m more than happy to recommend TowTal.co.uk. Based in Stoke on Trent. They did a very good job of fitting both the towbar and A Frame. Very helpful and knowledgable. I paid about £2100 but, that was for both. They do a more expensive “smart” system if you want really top of the range

Flipping Heck you lot are really positive people for crying out loud the guy only asked for a recommendation to get a bar fitted he didn't ask for all your opinions on anything else

So mine is on a trailer
I used to tow the old one with A Frame and had the wheel wobble a couple of times if you tried to turn to sharp. Always make sure you can turn the key when it is neutral, if it has not gone in properly the key is locked. Also ours is an MHD which means it must be in neutral before you switch off or the selector sticks between 2 gears and you cannot restart it without a lot of trouble to reset it. I found this out the hard way.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back