AGM Leisure batteries, Advice please.

Colin, Again thanks for the advice, yes indeed it helps. We have an Autosleeper broadway with factory fitted SP from new with Sargent electrics, as far as I can tell the SP regulator is within the Sargent box, Ive never touched it, weather it is intelligent version or not I cannot say, I spoke with Sargent prior to fitting the pair of AGM leisure batteries, they advised the system fitted to our MH was more than suitable for this application hence I fitted a pair of AGMs. It my well be I am concerned for nothing, I am from a mechanical background not electrical, I will leave it all well alone until it expires then look at increasing the watts on the roof by moving around the other items. Thanks everyone for the advice given.
Trev
Do you know the Sargent model number? some of the units do have intelligent multi-stage chargers, but others do not and just have a fixed output charger. If you can post the model number, should be able to confirm it is good (y)

Ref the Solar - If you are using the integrated Solar Controller in the Sargent, be aware that it is limited in capacity and will NOT handle a second 100W solar panel. You would need to use an separate Solar Controller.
This would actually be recommended in many ways anyway as the Controller is not very good in them and is often bypassed as standard.

Molly, I must admit that I have never checked the MH after dark as it is in a controlled storage facility open loosely during daylight hours.
Ref your theory of 14v when thinking of it, is 100% correct, I never thought of it that way, When I go to storage centre I never go on dull rainy days. So yes it always shows 14v, stupid me!!!, Thanks.

Trev
Not at all . Have a look at aili battery monitor on ebay about £20 it tells you all you need to know .

Do you know the Sargent model number? some of the units do have intelligent multi-stage chargers, but others do not and just have a fixed output charger. If you can post the model number, should be able to confirm it is good (y)

Ref the Solar - If you are using the integrated Solar Controller in the Sargent, be aware that it is limited in capacity and will NOT handle a second 100W solar panel. You would need to use an separate Solar Controller.
This would actually be recommended in many ways anyway as the Controller is not very good in them and is often bypassed as standard.
Going to storage unit tomorrow I will get the Sargent model number, again Colin thanks for help.

Trev

The following may (or may not?!) help illustrate with a picture Colins message above regarding the different charging modes that a good charger goes into. This is my own Motorhome from when I plugged in the charger yesterday and shows the various stages the charger goes into, and also the voltage at each stage. The charger in the graph below also has a 4th final mode which some chargers have and some do not - that being a 'storage' mode, where the voltage drops down again to a lower level again.

View attachment 57695
Thanks Wildebus, your graph shows it in a different way, brilliant.

Trev

Just returned from MH storage unit weather stopped me going earlier this week, Ref Sargent unit, it is a EC328, the Sargent panel indicated Vehicle battery voltage at 13.9v and leisure at 14.1v.
I fitted a voltage meter earlier this year to read voltage available directly from batteries before they ran to the Sargent control panel, My reader reads 14.5v at the batteries.
We have not been to see the MH for 12 weeks, batteries solar ect all seem to be working as they should, Many thanks for the various input by you all.

Trev

The 328 had a good multistage charger in it and apparently runs at upto 25A (I say apparently as mine seems limited to 10A)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back