ALKO chassis hand brake cables

Woody 3

Free Member

Hi. My twin axle Burstner motorhome on a Renault Master is in lockdown in Portugal so whilst here I decided to have all the brakes overhauled. I was advised to change 2 of the rear calipers, all pads and the 4 rear brake cables. The mechanic suggested I order the parts as they are not readily available in Portugal and very expensive. Using the Vin number of the vehicle I used AUTODOC for the parts which were shipped very reasonably to Portugal. Although the pads and calipers were correct the brake cables were not a match. Eventually Autodoc kindly refunded the cost of the cables and told me not to bother returning them to Germany. A very good company to deal with. We then discovered the cables were actually an ALKO part although the calipers are a Renault part. The 4 cables from AUTODOC were priced at approx. 9 euros each so you can imagine my shock and disgust when ALKO are quoting 114 Euros for each cable. Has anyone else experienced this problem and although the cables are not in a dangerous state I feel it would be good to replace them but not at 456 Euros plus carriage.
It is raining here on the Algarve at present but good weather is due to return at the weekend. Lockdown is being eased and there have been fewer than 20 deaths on the Algarve. Stay safe . Woody.

Hi, yes I had the same problem, unfortunately the garage that failed my van ordered some for me, without my permission £92, after doing some research you can use tow bar cables, I didn't look too far into this as it was too late but may be an option for you

Hi. Thanks for your response. Will look into the options. May think twice about an ALKO chassis in the future.

There is a UK Company that can make them up a lot cheaper. See if you can find a similar one where you are. Or try contacting the UK company.

Used speedy cables b4 great service sent my speedo cable (snapped) of my B544 think 50£ inc package less than a week to send/return great to deal with imho

There is a UK Company that can make them up a lot cheaper. See if you can find a similar one where you are. Or try contacting the UK company.

Hi. Many thanks for the info. Have contacted speedy cables and waiting for a reply.

Woody I've started a conversation with you hope the info is of help ,just incase speedy are hard to contact just now

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back