Am I being silly?

alwaysared

Those of you that know me will know that I've been looking for a newer van to replace my 1996 Dethleffs Globetrotter, I've had my heart set on another Dethleffs but so far I've been unable to find one in my price range but I've seen a few other makes that would probably meet with our requirements and tomorrow I'm going to see a Rapido which on paper seems perfect and has 4 out 5 things on our list, the missing one being a Mercedes/Fiat 2.8JTD engine. It has the smaller 2.3JTD engine. I'm not sure that I'll want it even if it's perfect, why? Because it's not a Dethleffs. So am I being silly?

Regards,
Del

Yes you probably are.
It's more important that it fits you're needs, so if it fits the majority of your needs the make and engine is not that important as long as the engine is in good condition and the build quality is good. Which Rapido's usually are.

Good luck with the viewing del hope it's what you want take it for a good test drive and see how the engine performs we have a 2.2 engine in our new relay and it's a cracking engine
Regards Steve

Hope it works out to be what you’re looking for, certainly a good idea to widen your search.

with the sevell collaborations makes of base veh are almost the same beast, the winterised german vans generally have a better finish but even some of them have blip years/models my 2.2 has far more power than the 2.8 we used to have,
i saw my dream van about 14 years ago a b544 after 7 years we were going to buy one and we got seduced by the huge panoramic skylight in a bessacar but finally when we retired we bought OUR van , i guess you have to decide if the next van is part of the curve or your forever van

Well we've been to see the van and it was very nice, seemed well made and my Amazon damp meter found on signs of any issues. Like I mentioned it has everything on our list apart from the engine but after taking it for a test drive I wouldn't now be put off with the smaller Fiat engine, even though the Mercedes 2.2 I drove before was still the quietest and smoothest of all the engines I've tried but I have all but given up on finding a Merc in my price range. The real surprise was the lounge area, I felt that it wouldn't be comfortable enough to relax in and the table was a split affair that needed to be folded to get into the habitation area, it also needed to be folded and turned to sit down to use it for dining. The front seats did revolve but not fully so even though we're tempted to buy it I'm not convinced that we could live with that table and lounge layout
frown.png
Diane is willing to try it but I'm not sure that I am as willing. So a little more thinking about it is required.

Regards,
Del

rapido_table_.png

Last edited:
I'd just hate that seating arrangement and faffing with the table, there are far better solutions out there.

Yes and No (I am training to be a politician)
The engine will be fine ..how often do you need full power
Although I have never owned one I like Rapidos.
Just depends how open the living area is and do the seats swivel enough.
How much of a bind is the table.

Other things how good and accessible is the storage
Is the shower in the bathroom good
Fridge and cooking washing up area ?

Hi Dell if you're not 100% happy I'd keep looking there's plenty more motor homes out their for sale you just have to find the right one good luck in your hunt regards Steve

Yes and No (I am training to be a politician)

The engine will be fine ..how often do you need full power
Although I have never owned one I like Rapidos.

You may well have had a lucky escape, as I've stated previously Rapidos
(not necessarily all of them) are notorious for marginal payload capacity.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back