An interesting video on what is happening to the car market and EVs in particular.

I'm not so sure, they are a huge disappointment, the prices are going down as they are worthless, insurance premiums sky high etc, this is Harrys field he knows car inside out and has connections all over the motor trade.

Good video. It is about time the industry came clean on the pitfalls. We looked at a couple of second hand EV's, but decided they were too expensive, despite having lost over 50% of the new price. We bought a diesel. I have a 600 mile range, takes five minutes to fill up and normally don't have to wait to fill! EV's in the real world are impractical for most people, it will always be niche, supplemented by other fuels. There are a few companies developing Hydrogen power (lots already running) that are also zero emissions and can be filled like we fill our leisure gas. The range is also nearly compatible with diesel/petrol vehicles. Why we went electric will always be strange to me!

I think as a second car for the wife they are ideal if you can charge them at home from solar, but not one if you have one car and like to travel, in theory you could hire a car, but if they carry on with this EV malarky that will eventually be a no go.

Hydrogen needs to get more investment from the oil companies or maybe an unknow alternative might spring up, how about steam again but using nuclear to heat it, it was good enough for Doc Brown.

EV's in the real world are impractical for most people,
Unfortunately a statement provided without any evidence. Having driven EV's since 2016, including in the first 3 years averaging 27k miles per year, and now being semi-retired a one car family, they are immensely practical and suitable for the majority of people.

Most of those who explain why they can't use an EV are based on myths and hearsay. I refuse to queue for a charger and never spend more than 20 minutes charging. On a recent bank holiday trip, pulled into a motorway services to be informed that there where 3 cars waiting and one had been there an hour. Within 1 mile of the next motorway junction were 2 empty rapid chargers in a pub carpark! Most issues are caused by uninformed users.

Many of the charge points here dont work or been vandalised, toyota have a new clean engine, so back to pistons. :) toyota engine.jpg

Unfortunately a statement provided without any evidence. Having driven EV's since 2016, including in the first 3 years averaging 27k miles per year, and now being semi-retired a one car family, they are immensely practical and suitable for the majority of people.

Most of those who explain why they can't use an EV are based on myths and hearsay. I refuse to queue for a charger and never spend more than 20 minutes charging. On a recent bank holiday trip, pulled into a motorway services to be informed that there where 3 cars waiting and one had been there an hour. Within 1 mile of the next motorway junction were 2 empty rapid chargers in a pub carpark! Most issues are caused by uninformed users.
Thanks.

You just proved my point.

Good video. It is about time the industry came clean on the pitfalls. We looked at a couple of second hand EV's, but decided they were too expensive, despite having lost over 50% of the new price. We bought a diesel. I have a 600 mile range, takes five minutes to fill up and normally don't have to wait to fill! EV's in the real world are impractical for most people, it will always be niche, supplemented by other fuels. There are a few companies developing Hydrogen power (lots already running) that are also zero emissions and can be filled like we fill our leisure gas. The range is also nearly compatible with diesel/petrol vehicles. Why we went electric will always be strange to me!
Great to have a 600 mile range. At an average UK speed of 50mph that’s 12 hours driving. I wish I had a bladder that strong and a stomach that didn’t need feeding. Both my cars are EV’s and I love them. I do a 600 mile trip from Aberdeenshire to Poole fairly often. I charge twice en route, each time for about 20 or 30 minutes which is ideal for a comfort break. I arrive at Poole far more refreshed than i ever did in my diesel car. I have never had to queue for a charger despite the long distances I do.
I just cannot understand the anti - EV rhetoric on this and other forums, mainly from people who have never owned one. I don’t have a pop at diesel or petrol car owners. I have owned both and there is nothing wrong with them but I much prefer electric.

It's pne thing wanting to, but quite different if you have to.

Ev's do suit some people, but I'd not have one given, a Hybrid yes please but not an EV.

Is there a hybrid that is charged from the engine at all?

Making statements without thinking is dangerous! Do you know that 26% of private homes have no access to a driveway or a garage? Did you also know that 19.1% are private rentals where they can't alter the building? According to official figures, over one third of homes do not have access suitable for charging an EV. That means parking near to a charging point in a car park on on road parking. But all of them will be trying to do that!

Then of course, there is the price! EV's are expensive! Most people cannot afford to buy an EV with any meaningful range! Couple that with a low resale value, even leasing is too expensive! Then of course, if everyone went over to EV's, the grid just couldn't cope. Even if just 50% went to EV's the grid couldn't cope, especially in areas of affluence, where there would be a higher concentration.

For most people, a second hand EV is not a solution. They still cost as much as the petrol/diesel equivalent brand new! Then as is pointed out in the video, the state of the batteries is unknown. The servicing costs are much higher and the insurance costs are rocketing. Then of course, the fires... Yes ICE engines catch fire and yes more than EV's, but when you take into account the sheer numbers of ICE vehicles on the road, it is a tiny number compared to EV's with the same extrapolation!

So as a person who either gets a company car or has the money to be able to afford an EV, perhaps come outside into the real world and consider the facts.

Great to have a 600 mile range. At an average UK speed of 50mph that’s 12 hours driving. I wish I had a bladder that strong and a stomach that didn’t need feeding. Both my cars are EV’s and I love them. I do a 600 mile trip from Aberdeenshire to Poole fairly often. I charge twice en route, each time for about 20 or 30 minutes which is ideal for a comfort break. I arrive at Poole far more refreshed than i ever did in my diesel car. I have never had to queue for a charger despite the long distances I do.
I just cannot understand the anti - EV rhetoric on this and other forums, mainly from people who have never owned one. I don’t have a pop at diesel or petrol car owners. I have owned both and there is nothing wrong with them but I much prefer electric.
600 mile range? What car is that? After extensive research, the best I can find (quoted) is 452! Perhaps you would like to comment on this?

As you say Ice cars do catch fire but Mr Fire Fighter is much happier to go put that out than an EV which is nigh on impossible to put out and may even erupt later too, those that went up on the ship last year had to be put into a skip full of water, and they just boiled the water.

Hybrid maybe, full EV I'll pass even though I like the idea, perhaps when they come up with a less dangerous battery the rest of the equation might make sense to the normal 8-5 work person.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back