An interesting video on what is happening to the car market and EVs in particular.

It's pne thing wanting to, but quite different if you have to.

Ev's do suit some people, but I'd not have one given, a Hybrid yes please but not an EV.

Is there a hybrid that is charged from the engine at all?
Hbrids are no good, 30 mile range and you still have all the normal car bits to fix replace service.

I agree the range does need to be extended, it also needs to be charged in car not plug in so you can go into citys.

I agree the range does need to be extended, it also needs to be charged in car not plug in so you can go into citys.
Yes but my mate bought a vw almost 6/7 years back and explained why he did not go hyb as my post above, but as you say the market is almost dead and new clean engines are the way forward.
The grid in gb wont charge thousands of electric cars ad it would require the country dug up and cables as thick as an elephants trunk to be laid, wont happen.

8 years into EV ownership now and more than happy with my personal decision to buy one.
I love the effortless simplicity of the way these cars drive, I tend to use it in preference to my BMW 5 series tourer.

The one feature may car lacks is V2G which is a pity as we regularly have excess solar during the brighter parts of the year and it would have been handy to use the cars 64kw battery to supply part of my home.

I’ve never believed that public charging would ever be a viable or affordable permanent alternative, the chargers are complex expensive and prone to accidental damage vandalism breakdowns and being iced by the same miserable low life spoonfeds that block disabled and child spaces. We use them perhaps once a year!

the hike in electricity prices and profiteering has made public charging potentially expensive if worked out to a diesel or petrol mpg equivalent. It is amazing how little effective mpg some EVs do when paying 80-90p per Kw!

It will be interesting to see what fuel source comes along next and Ammonia looks to be an interesting concept but I think we will most likely see different safer and greener battery concepts

We watched Dragons den the other night and they bought into a device which was the same idea but no where near as good as this.

Just imagine parking on the road and coming down in the morning, to find some scroats have disconnected the car! Sorry boss, I'll be a bit late, I have to catch a bus!

I read/heard that you can't, you need to have the key in the lock.

May i add that here you would have to get council permission and send in plans and pay a high cost if you do get it past, the cost would be returned after an inspection, i know this as i wanted to lower one kirbstone outside my home, they wanted £500 up front.

Last edited:
Tesla cars did not have a locking device (or the owners never bothered setting it) as there was a youtube vid about it. Now there is a gizmo you attach to stop others nicking your electrickery.
???
On my Tesla the charge cable (as in all Tesla’s) is always locked into the vehicle charge port whilst charging or if the vehicle is locked. At the charger end the cable is either tethered or is locked into the charger if it is connected to the car. No keys are involved anywhere in the process and to my knowledge never have been! (In fact apart from the legacy MX and MS models no keys are used anywhere, even for opening/locking/driving the car). I fail to see how the cable can be disconnected, unless it is actually cut.

May i add that here you would have to get council permission and send in plans and pay a high cost if you do get it past, the cost would be returned after an inspection, i know this as i wanted to lower one kirbstone outside my home, they wanted £500 up front.
copy cat :rolleyes:

???
On my Tesla the charge cable (as in all Tesla’s) is always locked into the vehicle charge port whilst charging or if the vehicle is locked. At the charger end the cable is either tethered or is locked into the charger if it is connected to the car. No keys are involved anywhere in the process and to my knowledge never have been! (In fact apart from the legacy MX and MS models no keys are used anywhere, even for opening/locking/driving the car). I fail to see how the cable can be disconnected, unless it is actually cut.

There are 2 videos in one link pertaining to this. Not everyone must lock their car, that is why a mechanical interlock has been made.

Also found this one.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the videos as I was worried that my cable wasn’t as safe as I thought. However after watching the videos I can relax again.

The first video simply shows how a Tesla owner can unlock his own cable in the UK. The phone is securely linked to your own Tesla account and can be used to do all sorts of things with the car (including driverless moving in a straight line backwards or forwards to get it out of a tight space). You cannot just rock up with any old phone and connect it to a random car!

The second video is specific to the US and simply relates to the link between an adaptor (if required) to connect the charge cable to the charge point. Without this although the adapter remains locked in the charging station it seems that the cable could be removed from the adapter. We don’t use these in the UK as the cars are equipped with different charge sockets and cables. All Tesla’s (in fact to my knowledge all EV’s) in the UK are either equipped with CCS or Type 2 cables / sockets (legacy MS and MX). These all have locking pins. My car (being Type 2) requires a CCS adapter but in this case both the Type 2 to CCS adapter and the CCS plug to charge point socket are locked together if the car is charging or locked.

So neither video is relevant to the perception that charge cables can be unplugged by any random passer by. The only cases I have ever heard (apocryphally) about are when the cables have been physically cut.

I trust this goes some way to reassuring folk about the security of their cables whilst charging.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back