Anxious Dog

my daughter has a dog cage with a thick blanket over it she puts her dog in it when there are fireworks it seems to work
she doesn't close the door so the dog goes in and out but in on most of the evenings there are loud bangs

Dogs are den animals and so they find comfort in some sort of dark, quiet place. Many go behind the sofa or under the bed. I knew of one that went to the bathroom as it was in the middle of the house and had only a small window.

Dogs are den animals and so they find comfort in some sort of dark, quiet place. Many go behind the sofa or under the bed. I knew of one that went to the bathroom as it was in the middle of the house and had only a small window.
My daughter had a Chihuahua that regularly took himself to their shower for a sleep.RIP Sunny.

I read a thing that a vet put up that you don’t have to go for expensive thunder jackets a stretchy wide elastic bandage works just as well especially on small dogs as long as you don’t put it on too tight

C749626D-3B8D-448B-86F1-D58215EE0155.jpeg

I have heard some remarkable results on these jackets But as you know I can't get anything like coats harnesses and collars she is not familiar with anywhere near her (shes off hiding and turning into a smiling viper) she is worse than the fireworks trauma When we rescued her the collar she had on was growing into her neck so that's out Thank you very much for this Annie I think getting some tablets as yorkslass suggested is worth a try and maybe some of them plug in aroma calming aids
Hi sadly we lost our dog at the start of the year, he was 13 and hated fireworks. Each year he got worse, we tried the petcalm plug in, the calm collar, building him a den to hide in, tablets from the vet and finally a thunder coat. The only way he'd wear it was after I'd sat with it on my lap in the evening for about a week, my smell made him except it. This also worked for his high vis jacket and a new collar. I wish fireworks were banned but I'm guessing this year could be bad as there will be no or few public displays.

My
My daughter had a Chihuahua that regularly took himself to their shower for a sleep.RIP Sunny.
My Sister in law's dog Lilly Aylestone English bulldog also used to go in the shower she often wondered why she can understand more now that you have posted this also RIP LILLY

Today I had a very trying and anxious time about 1.40pm I went for my afternoon dog walk when I was on my way back on a path which goes through a country park no houses near a firework with a terribly loud bang went off. Roxy bolted I was screaming like a banshee for her to come back she was thinking about it then another bang went off she was uncontrollably bolting I shouted OMG out loud and I also saw these people in the distance she was running to try and catch her which they managed too. I was very thankful I went to pick her up put she was petrified breathing heavy struggling to get down to run away so I put her down and tried to comfort her put she was pulling the full length of the lead
chocking all the way home (I can't get a harness on her with her touch problems)
At the moment she is round the back of sofa, there is one bang going off after another, this as being going on heavy for over a week and odd ones going off at least the last 3 weeks
3 days ago a friend of mine as a Border Collie, one went off during the day, she had taken him on the cricket club to play ball we often go, he ran blind to a park about 15 mins walk away crossing various major roads somebody caught him in the park and read his tag so he was quickly reunited

The fireworks are going more and more constant as the night goes on. ARE WE NOT ON LOCKDOWN

because of the lockdown, instead of going to controlled events out the way in fields, loads of people are buying them and using in their gardens - so going to be even worse and even closer this year :(

We've only had one very brief session in earshot so far fortunately. When I used to live in St Albans, it was a nightmare with various asian festivals (don't know which ones) celebrating with Fireworks for weeks

Not against the rules.
Police have attended lots of firework displays around here on the news for attendants not being from the same household

Police have attended lots of firework displays around here on the news for attendants not being from the same household

You're only allowed to have fireworks with the people you live with, in your own garden.

But you are allowed fireworks.

We have had them again tonight Lorraine......Poppy had a bit of a bark, but lost interest after a while. Poor Roxy, she must have been so scared....and you too when she ran away,

We have had them again tonight Lorraine......Poppy had a bit of a bark, but lost interest after a while. Poor Roxy, she must have been so scared....and you too when she ran away,

Try cutting the foot off an old sock and fitting it over the dogs head, a bit like a snood (covering the ears). Two of ours react to fireworks and this certainly helps a lot. It seems to act in the same way as a thundercoat.

Try cutting the foot off an old sock and fitting it over the dogs head, a bit like a snood (covering the ears). Two of ours react to fireworks and this certainly helps a lot. It seems to act in the same way as a thundercoat.
Brilliant idea sure lots of people would try this with their animals giving the feeling of security, but unfortunately Roxy has a touch problem and gets aggressive especially when anything gets near her head

Tried the sock idea. However made no difference at all except to his dignity and that took a bashing.

Bl**dy fireworks I am absolutely pi**ed off we get a few each night but tonight they have been going for a few hours none stop, Roxy his hiding then walking round & round like a bag of nerves I have had to keep her on the lead when we go out she is well worked up so the slightest noise makes her bolt, is this going to be the in thing till after new year

Bl**dy fireworks I am absolutely pi**ed off we get a few each night but tonight they have been going for a few hours none stop, Roxy his hiding then walking round & round like a bag of nerves I have had to keep her on the lead when we go out she is well worked up so the slightest noise makes her bolt, is this going to be the in thing till after new year
Same here in bedworth have i missed something to celebrate tonight bang bang bang..

Same here in bedworth have i missed something to celebrate tonight bang bang bang..
World television Day is celebrated on the 21 November, but I dont think it was that I dont think anybody knows

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back