Any advice on fixing damp/ rotting walls in motorhome?

Monicadiamond

Free Member

By an unfortunate accident of someone reversing into the van parked on the road and ripping part of the side skirts off it revealed rotten wood.
I had my habitation service a few days later and he put his finger up inside the opening where the panel was torn off and it was completely rotten. The damp test showed all walls damp by between 25 and 90 % - aaargghh!!! He said the seals had gone.
Told it is very expensive to fix - like thousands - of course ! Everything is expensive with motorhomes. It is a Swift Carerra 2004 and I am very happy with it otherwise.
All suggestions gratefully appreciated, thanks

You could strip back the offending area and replace the wood frame and insulation, but this could grow into replacing the side of the van.
Wether you have the space and time to do this, is one point and also do you have the woodworking skills is another.
The other thing you could do is to talk to AW Marine at Canvey Island and see what they recommend.

Thanks, I dont have the skills to do that, but thanks for the tip about AW Marine. I live in Norfolk, so maybe a similar boat place here would be equally good?

I had damp issues year after van bought. Just out of warranty so feel your pain. More issues arose last year and was meant to go in but lockdown struck. I discovered Peter and he was going to take out the inner wall in the area where was a problem and see if it would dry out. Summer would have helped problem greatly. Don't know if he is still open during lockdown and I know they were very busy but I'll find his email address and put it on for you.

check and renew outer seals that need fixing
then you'll need to remove the inner wall ,which is usually easy,being so thin . then take out all the rotten stuff and dry any good sound bits .cut off any staples coming through from outside. none of this is complicated .
when it's dry ,cut some timber to the same size as used then start gluing replacement bits to the outer skin ,using stixall .

I use a mobile repairer last lockdown he was working normally as he could work alone within covid restrictions. .

I had damp issues year after van bought. Just out of warranty so feel your pain. More issues arose last year and was meant to go in but lockdown struck. I discovered Peter and he was going to take out the inner wall in the area where was a problem and see if it would dry out. Summer would have helped problem greatly. Don't know if he is still open during lockdown and I know they were very busy but I'll find his email address and put it on for you.
Thanks a lot for this - I have it on 4 walls, so will be expensive

Before you start any repair work, you need to find out were it is leaking in, and make sure that is repaired / sealed
Thanks. Yes all the seals are gone he said. Its mostly coming up from below but also around windows and door. Who would you use for that?

Newbourne campers near Woodbridge are good but know they are overwhelmed. Must be some marine repairers near you, or maybe a caravan repair place might be able to help?

Thanks, I have located one in my area in Norwich who is going to look at it on Wednesday for me. I'll come back to you if I cant get satisfaction.

Newbourne campers near Woodbridge are good but know they are overwhelmed. Must be some marine repairers near you, or maybe a caravan repair place might be able to help?
Thanks for this, they are quite near me. I have found one in Norwich who is going to have a look for me and also AW Marine in Canvey. Will get back to you if I need more info

You could strip back the offending area and replace the wood frame and insulation, but this could grow into replacing the side of the van.
Wether you have the space and time to do this, is one point and also do you have the woodworking skills is another.
The other thing you could do is to talk to AW Marine at Canvey Island and see what they recommend.
Thanks Lee, I have contacted AW Marine who were really helpful

Reactions: Lee
check and renew outer seals that need fixing
then you'll need to remove the inner wall ,which is usually easy,being so thin . then take out all the rotten stuff and dry any good sound bits .cut off any staples coming through from outside. none of this is complicated .
when it's dry ,cut some timber to the same size as used then start gluing replacement bits to the outer skin ,using stixall .
Very comprehensive! Thank you! I'm not sure I can do this myself though, so I am having it looked at on Wednesday

“Install wife inside van” with cleaning materials, de-humidifier and remain out of sight per the “live longer/self preservation manual included” .

Costs involved; not being spoken to for a day or two. having to cook dinner and purchase a nice bottle of wine and flowers,

failing these safety precautions and troubleshooting / FAQ section of the manual then as a backup/temporary fix , ensure prenup agreement in your favor. 😂

“Install wife inside van” with cleaning materials, de-humidifier and remain out of sight per the “live longer/self preservation manual included” .

Costs involved; not being spoken to for a day or two. having to cook dinner and purchase a nice bottle of wine and flowers,

failing these safety precautions and troubleshooting / FAQ section of the manual then as a backup/temporary fix , ensure prenup agreement in your favor. 😂
Very funny! There is one snag - I am the "wife" without a "husband" trying to get my van fixed :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back