Any Animal Health Certificate Tips?

Ardachaidh

Getting a PP was relatively straightforward, although mistakes were made. The AHC seems more tricky. We know about the validity, ie has to be used within 10 days.

But, are there any points to look out for when the vet completes the Certificate to ensure it's filled in absolutely correctly? Any tips would be appreciated. Graham

When the vet did ours, the staple was broken. At Folkestone on our way out I asked the tunnel staff member if she could re-staple it. She did, and said it isn’t a legal document if it isn’t stapled. I thought she was joking but later read something that seemed to suggest she was serious.

Also, shop around. I paid £250, I met someone who had paid £80, but have heard of other paying far more.

it is possible to get an EU passport from a vet on the continent, but all future rabies boosters will have to be done in the EU to keep the passport valid. UK vet entries will render it invalid.

Our vet scored through the bottom half of page 4. It wasn’t until we were coming home that our French vet (giving the worming treatment) said she shouldn’t have, that’s where he signs. We got through ok though.

UK vet entries will render it invalid.
Forgive me if I come across as a bit thick, but does that refer to ANY UK vet entries, or just entries for the rabies booster jabs.

UK vet entries will render it invalid.
Forgive me if I come across as a bit thick, but does that refer to ANY UK vet entries, or just entries for the rabies booster jabs.
I'm not sure, but for most journeys to continental Europe it would normally just be the rabies booster that would need to be entered.

The only exception that am aware of is the tapeworm treatment required for Malta, Finland, Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland. I think a UK vet entry invalidates the passport for that too but I'm not sure.

I have written to a vet in Belgium, asking about the ins and outs of issuing an EU Passport, the reason we chose Belgium is because, from previous experience, they charge a lot less than French vets.
If in the future we can’t or don’t want to travel abroad, we could keep our dogs vaccination up to date by popping over in the car, just for the day, to get him jabbed.

Reactions: DnK
Watch out for the shelf life of the rabies booster, some vets give a 3 year booster, others just a 1 year.

I have written to a vet in Belgium, asking about the ins and outs of issuing an EU Passport, the reason we chose Belgium is because, from previous experience, they charge a lot less than French vets.
If in the future we can’t or don’t want to travel abroad, we could keep our dogs vaccination up to date by popping over in the car, just for the day, to get him jabbed.
Just been to vet in Paimpol for tapeworm pill .
Excellent vet spoke good English she told me they are not allowed to issue passports to non residents .
She is very used to fielding complaints about the AHC . Daren't say what majority of complainers voted for

I was really interested in any experiences with the AHC, ie problems in completing the form, if any.

I was really interested in any experiences with the AHC, ie problems in completing the form, if any.
After a recommendation on here I went to Abbeywell vets Folkestone . £98 excellent service
Vet at home wanted £160 .
Vet in Paimpol was well used to dealing with AHC .
She stamped passport as well
Somebody on here said they were quoted £250 !
That really is taking the wotsit

Thanks, I've seen their website, but I'm leaving from Portsmouth after a long trip from Scotland. And my wife prefers to use our own vet, but I don't know the price yet. I'll keep Abbeywell's details in case of an emergency.

It's a separate issue @Ardachaidh but did you know you are not supposed to take any meat based products - including dog food - into the EU?

Yep this morning in the vets Zilly our cat has been fighting with the locals and come off worse, quoted £250 for the Animal Health Cert !!!

It's a separate issue @Ardachaidh but did you know you are not supposed to take any meat based products - including dog food - into the EU?
Yes, thanks, and dairy too. You can take fish, eggs and veg. We'll take something like that for a first meal and shop asap.

Yep this morning in the vets Zilly our cat has been fighting with the locals and come off worse, quoted £250 for the Animal Health Cert !!!
Scandalous!
This is disgraceful considering that they need the old passport….. to COPY the details from!

Disgraceful price , lots cheaper out there .
p.s. not heard of anyone having their fridge or cupboards checked for meat products ? Certainly not in my case

Scandalous!
This is disgraceful considering that they need the old passport….. to COPY the details from!
He didn’t bat an eyelid when we said we won’t be coming to you, it’s about a 14 page document I believe ? It takes a while he told us to fill in, and we are lucky they are not charging consultant ( operating theatre fees ) it would be more like £500.
He was excellent with Zilly and didn’t take my rebuke personally, really got the impression he saw it as a pain in the …. and why it needed changing anyway.
On another topic how can having your hair cut be so expensive in some places it’s gone from £10 to £35 😂😂😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back