Attempted theft of our Motorhome

So did you not buy the base system as there is one off charge for the initial system installation. I have Autowatch already so it would be good for me if I only needed to pay £95 a year.

When we brought the van our insurance said that we had to have a tracker fitted , so I got the supplier ( Richard Baldwins , Halifax ) to fit them for me . I cant remember exactly but I think it was about £350 for the tracker with one year subscription.
The good thing about them is you can contact them before going on holiday without your van , and ask them to immobilise the vehicle

When we brought the van our insurance said that we had to have a tracker fitted , so I got the supplier ( Richard Baldwins , Halifax ) to fit them for me . I cant remember exactly but I think it was about £350 for the tracker with one year subscription.
The good thing about them is you can contact them before going on holiday without your van , and ask them to immobilise the vehicle
Sorry for being a bit dim but as I understand your actual tracker is an Autowatch but OTT are able to connect to it somehow?

Last night about 1.00am the alarm went of on the motorhome which is parked on the drive , the alarm never goes off so I knew this was the real thing , I shot out of bed and ran downstairs and out onto the drive , I noticed the front drivers door was open so cautiously I looked in the van only to find it had nobody inside and the scumbags had run away fast , I looked around the van looking for any damage and could not find any not even to the door barrel so I am puzzled as to how they opened it , I am sure they was professionals and after taking the van by using the ODB port . Now my van also has a lot more security features witch I wont go into detail on a open forum , but I am sure they would not be able to drive it away . Anyhow just for a piece of mind I have also ordered one of these . https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132616441428

SO A WORD OF WARNING TO ALL OF YOU

These scumbags WILL take your van if you don't take security measures , make sure you get up to date on security , keep one step ahead of them , this is happening all over the country and vans being stolen every day and it is getting worse and more frequent . BTW my van is the fiat ducato 2013
No damage to the barrel suggests perhaps a lock pick. That's certainly the classic way of getting into a Transit (and also disables standard alarm systems linked to the central locking). Deadlocks on the cab doors are a good idea - not as heavy as the wheel clamp when you're away!

Sorry for being a bit dim but as I understand your actual tracker is an Autowatch but OTT are able to connect to it somehow?
No the tracker is OTT and then the Autowatch alarm or any alarm +ive output is wired to a terminal on the tracker , if that makes any sense

I
Bet you'd muss it desperately though.

Just what do they do with stolen vans?
Clone/dodgy plates and a ferry abroad?
Surely can't be for parts?
Actually I've got a security post and a remote sensor linked to the home burglar alarm system, likewise the car and the bike.

No damage to the barrel suggests perhaps a lock pick. That's certainly the classic way of getting into a Transit (and also disables standard alarm systems linked to the central locking). Deadlocks on the cab doors are a good idea - not as heavy as the wheel clamp when you're away!
I have done a lot of homework this past couple of days even speaking to a EX Salford Mr big car thief and he told me the latest professional thieves now have a device that will even open deadlocks , that is the reason I decided for the wheel clamp , he also told me if you have a good heavy duty steering wheel locking device , leave your blind OPEN so it can be seen , then they will walk , otherwise they will do the damage breaking into your van before seeing the lock and most will walk straight away , but your van will be damaged . He also told me the thieves have scouts who will drive round areas and taking notes of addresses were vans are kept , then they will go with the knowledge of what vans they want and were they are , and they rarely go away empty handed , some get a new identity and shipped but MOST get dismantled and end up in a container again ready to be exported , he also told me they could be in the container for up to 12 months before getting exported

Last edited:
A way to slow them down
If your alarm sounds is to leave the driver seat turned around as they need to get in the back to turn it round again

I turn both seats and have a device from door to door ,can be a right pain in the air-e when you’ve forgot you put it on😡

After talking to Chris at the meet .I went to Barlow Trailers on my way home and bought a bulldog clamp .Hope it's as good as it's reputation . its certainly a beefy bit of kit .and is insurance company recommended.

Last edited:
Hi Jeff. Just been looking at Caravan Guard News from January. They include Outsmart the Thief Defender on their list of Tracking systems not accepted for insurance purposes, which surprises me from its description which sounded pretty good. What Thatcham category is your system? Have your insurers accepted as an approved system?

As I have written before OTT is recognised by a handful of insurers, some the alarm and some the alarm and tracker. I use AIB insurance and they give me a good deal for using the sytem. But an insurance discount is not the whole story, for me its peace of mind. I know that once the alarm is activated the vehicle can't be started, i've tried. As @jeffmossy says give the company a ring and they will remotely dissable the vehicle if you are away for a period of time.

If anyone is still thinking of getting the Bulldog wheelclamp and they are very good I have one for sale, very good price for my friends on here :)

Hi Jeff. Just been looking at Caravan Guard News from January. They include Outsmart the Thief Defender on their list of Tracking systems not accepted for insurance purposes, which surprises me from its description which sounded pretty good. What Thatcham category is your system? Have your insurers accepted as an approved system?
Believe it or not it was caravan guard that made me have the OTT tracker fitted , I have just renewed with caravan guard and they told me I dont need a tracker now as my van now falls below the £50000 value , and it still only cost me £379 for the year, that is with break down and Europe included , I did ring about 4 other companies for a quote and they ALL said OTT was a approved tracker on their system , but quoted a more expensive premium , so yes it is puzzling o_O

Last edited:
Sounds like a case of left hands, right hands asses and elbows! But can I ask again, does OTT system have a Thatcham rating?

Think i have one hiding in workshop,must dig it out,though most cars/vans here if they get in just sh one t in it or burn it,animals are cleaner & better trained.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back