Autocruise Accent freshwater tank filler cap won't lock

chyperie

As the title says. Filler cap closes but doesn't lock. Don't really want a new cap unless I can use the lock barrel from the old lock as I don't want an extra key! Had a good look at the cap but can't see that problem. I know it's being picky as it looks like its locked but I don't like things not working.

Anyway anyone else had this problem? The lock not the being picky.

Try blowing some graphite dust into the lock or make your own from soft pencil lead and apply liberally to the key before insertion, try it a few times to see if it frees off.

Try blowing some graphite dust into the lock or make your own from soft pencil lead and apply liberally to the key before insertion, try it a few times to see if it frees off.
Ah, sorry didn't make myself clear, the key turns the lock and appears locked but the cap just twists off without unlocking

Ah, sorry didn't make myself clear, the key turns the lock and appears locked but the cap just twists off without unlocking
I have exactly same issue with fuel cap, tried a fix with what I have in the van, cap could be fubared?

Last edited:
I'd still try the graphite approach, if the key is turning without locking the cap then its possible the tumblers are stuck in the unlocked position, the last resort is a quick squirt of WD40 and a sharp knock with a wooden mallet to see if it will free off. If that doesn't work then chances are the end of the lock barrel isn't engaging with the plastic mechanism in the cap itself.

I remember reports several years ago that dipping the complete cap into boiling water cured some problems

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back