Autoquest CV40

Gixer

Free Member

Looking at this van for a first timer - good price / size and spec [with a few extras] - anyone own or owned one ? Opinions on suitability for a couple to travel around europe for weeks at a time.
Would like to carry a small scooter on towbar mount - anybody doing that ?

Thanks for any help

I'm getting an Elddis CV40 next month from Vehicles4Leisure next month, did consider getting a tow bar fitted & either carrying a small m/bike or scooter or towing it. In the end decided we'd see how we get on. The van we are getting is a dealer special with a lot of extras, quite a lot of the dealers have these 'specials' not all the same. From what I understand each of the dealers can select which extras they want factory fitted & they are priced a bit higher than the basic but working it out they are good value if you wanted to add the extras.
We aren't first timers as this will be the 4th new van we've had since retiring, couple of other 2nd hand vans as well. We decided to downsize from a class/coachbuilt vans so not sure how we'll manage. Have had smallish campers before so we'll manage somehow, also don't plan on doing the extended trips of 3 months that we used to do but we did have a home built camper on a short wheelbase Renault Master & we managed 3 months wintering in Spain & this was nowhere as well equipped as the CV40.

I've got the CV20 on order (meets what I want from a van) - similar to above, I'm getting a 'Dealer Special' March/April and was contemplating the towbar for similar reasons to above 2 posts, however not sure of capacity for a fixed towbar so will wait and do some research.

I'm getting an Elddis CV40 next month from Vehicles4Leisure next month, did consider getting a tow bar fitted & either carrying a small m/bike or scooter or towing it. In the end decided we'd see how we get on. The van we are getting is a dealer special with a lot of extras, quite a lot of the dealers have these 'specials' not all the same. From what I understand each of the dealers can select which extras they want factory fitted & they are priced a bit higher than the basic but working it out they are good value if you wanted to add the extras.
We aren't first timers as this will be the 4th new van we've had since retiring, couple of other 2nd hand vans as well. We decided to downsize from a class/coachbuilt vans so not sure how we'll manage. Have had smallish campers before so we'll manage somehow, also don't plan on doing the extended trips of 3 months that we used to do but we did have a home built camper on a short wheelbase Renault Master & we managed 3 months wintering in Spain & this was nowhere as well equipped as the CV40.
Any update on the van - V4L have sold out but there are others doing specials, be interested if you've managed any longish trips as we would like something this size but also want to do longish trips [1-2 months], thanks

Sorry not replied sooner, update on our CV40. Rejected first van as there was a lot of rust on the roof, this looked like grinding dust that had rusted. Spoke to Elddis & was assured that the process of cutting the roof openings shouldn't be done with grinder. This was quite bad & it was everywhere on the roof. Agreed to have another van which arrived last week, went to look at it at dealers the day after it arrived so not had PDI done. Had a look on roof & to our dismay there were spots of rust which again looked like grinding dust, these were nowhere near as bad but still were there. I could even feel particles of them in the paint. Waiting for Elddis to get back to me, working with V4L trying to find a solution currently looking at having the roof resprayed by a car body shop, not ideal & would have probably have taken our old van back. V4L offered to let us have our old van back while we were waiting but there are problems that I have dropped the C1 from my license so can't drive our old Swift Escape as plated at 3.7t.

To get to your question about longish trips we have done them before in vans smaller than this without the luxuries & managed. Depends on when & where you are going, in Europe with good weather you are mostly living outside, in the UK in winter with it cold & wet it would be a nightmare in a small van. We are probably considering trips of up to 2 months.

Thanks for that - hope you get sorted, we're still looking - every MH we see brings more questions than answers !!

Sorry not replied sooner, update on our CV40. Rejected first van as there was a lot of rust on the roof, this looked like grinding dust that had rusted. Spoke to Elddis & was assured that the process of cutting the roof openings shouldn't be done with grinder. This was quite bad & it was everywhere on the roof. Agreed to have another van which arrived last week, went to look at it at dealers the day after it arrived so not had PDI done. Had a look on roof & to our dismay there were spots of rust which again looked like grinding dust, these were nowhere near as bad but still were there. I could even feel particles of them in the paint. Waiting for Elddis to get back to me, working with V4L trying to find a solution currently looking at having the roof resprayed by a car body shop, not ideal & would have probably have taken our old van back. V4L offered to let us have our old van back while we were waiting but there are problems that I have dropped the C1 from my license so can't drive our old Swift Escape as plated at 3.7t.

To get to your question about longish trips we have done them before in vans smaller than this without the luxuries & managed. Depends on when & where you are going, in Europe with good weather you are mostly living outside, in the UK in winter with it cold & wet it would be a nightmare in a small van. We are probably considering trips of up to 2 months.
hello,
i am new to this forum. I ordered a CV40 last year and due for collection july 2022. I am concerned with your report of rust on roof due to grinding at factory at build stage. has this been resolved and have you heard of anyone else with same problem? overall how would you rate this campervan?
thanks

hello, I also have ordered a cv40, collection due july 2022 and have asked for tow bar to be fitted at factory for towing a motorbike trailer. How well do you rate the cv40 and have you used the van for towing yet?
thanks
alexander

We have a 2009 Adria Twin with fixed rear bed, which is also a 6m Ducato. The two of us have enjoyed extended trips in summer and in the winter. I think the advantage we have is that this is the only van we have owned so do not miss the space in a larger van because we have never had one!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back