Autotrail comanche s for sale .

Mr and Mrs Tupcox

Unfortunately we are selling our much loved van.
So if any interested in upgrading.
Autotrail comanche s not many of these around perfic full time unit for 2 people .

We prepaid this for full-timing but health force sale .
2017 2.3 180 auto .20k miles.
Lpg 2x11kg
400w solar
Lithium upgrade 460ah
New tyres cross climate.
2xtvs
Mot serviced no damp.ready to roll.
73950 ono
Screenshot_20231108_112314_WhatsApp.jpgScreenshot_20231108_112332_WhatsApp.jpg20231108_113528.jpg20231108_113515.jpg20231108_112857.jpg20231108_112857.jpgScreenshot_20231108_112304_WhatsApp.jpg

Too long for our drive Liz says :rolleyes:

Should be a nice Motorhome for someone. I do like Autotrails and think they are well made. Not perfect (especially the electrics) but no brands are (especially the electrics!).
I quite fancied the Autotrail Cheyenne 840D myself with the separate bedroom and end bathroom, but much bigger than I really needed.

I already told her if I won the lotto I'd be house hunting before the cheque arrived.

Fancy a farm house with plenty of outbuildings so I can start hoarding stuff to piss her off :D :D:

And a chef/gardener/housekeeper.

........Not perfect (especially the electrics) but no brands are (especially the electrics!).
If you want really really bad electrics get an AutoSleeper with Sargent electrics. They must employ a Work Experience teenager who is playing computer games on his phone to design them, and incompetent installation staff at A/S to badly connect the wiring. My latest wagon is a 2019 which has had 4 previous owners. I'm gradually finding all the reasons why the previous owners and three camper dealers have all got through it in four years. Sparks and burnt furniture as a result of bad electrics, water all over the washroom floor from disgustingly bad cheap piping, stupid alarms telling me the 12.8v engine battery is less than 10.5v. One day I'll have it all sorted.
I don't suppose Autotrails have Sargent do they? I guess they do, Most ?all UK manufacturers seem to use them. But electrics in yesteryear were a lot better than they are now. They used to have switches that went click and joined two bits of metal together.

If you want really really bad electrics get an AutoSleeper with Sargent electrics. They must employ a Work Experience teenager who is playing computer games on his phone to design them, and incompetent installation staff at A/S to badly connect the wiring. My latest wagon is a 2019 which has had 4 previous owners. I'm gradually finding all the reasons why the previous owners and three camper dealers have all got through it in four years. Sparks and burnt furniture as a result of bad electrics, water all over the washroom floor from disgustingly bad cheap piping, stupid alarms telling me the 12.8v engine battery is less than 10.5v. One day I'll have it all sorted.
I don't suppose Autotrails have Sargent do they? I guess they do, Most ?all UK manufacturers seem to use them. But electrics in yesteryear were a lot better than they are now. They used to have switches that went click and joined two bits of metal together.
Autotrails and Swift also use the Sargent systems with the outdating charging systems.

As far as previous owners, in contrast to your 2019 Autosleeper with 4 previous owners, my 2008 Autotrail had ONE owner (the original buyer) before me and did over 100,000 miles in that time. And as an aside, in all that time and mileage, virtually no changes were made to the original electrics (just an extra socket for a 2nd TV and an LED strip light), so I guess many people are perfectly fine with the OEM setup.

I would have thought 4 owners in 4 years would have rung an alarm bell for you?
I found in my case the original buyer keeping for so long and also actually using it, plus intending to get another new Autotrail to replace it quite reassuring (y)

I agree. I think a lot of pre- 2010 motorhomes were well made. It seems as if some epidemic of everyone making the same changes swept the known world. My 2009 Hobby was brilliant. My neighbour has a 2009 Autotrail and it is demonstrably better made than my 2019 mh in build quality. My opinion is that there is an obsession with making things more computerised to impress would-be buyers. Those would-be buyers don't realise the MTBF times are constantly reducing, as they add more and more flashy gimmicks. In case you didn't know, MTBF is Mean Time Between Failures, and that isn't some acronym I have made up, it is a defined standard in the electronics industry. Probably other industries as well. In the companies I worked for, we had to design circuits which would meed certain MTBF standards. We had to measure voltages at every component junction, and analyse the signals at certain points in the circuits to ensure that spurious noise spikes had not entered the circuit.
Anyway I didn't know my mh had four owners before I bought it, and I don't think it would have made any difference. I would have wondered, and I might have asked the salesman if I could have the previous owner's number so I could call them and ask. Some people keep theirs a long time, and some don't. I kept my last one for four weeks. That was an expensive mistake, I blame the clever dick salesman. :cool:
I have spent today on my knees ridding the EC700 of its awful, not fit for purpose plugs and sockets. I haven't finished yet, that is a job for tomorrow.

"Incompetent installation staff at A/S" may be a bit strong for which I apologise. Mine had two mains wires not properly connected to the EC700, causing three mains sockets not to work. The 'nearly-connected-but-not-quite' wires must have been sparking a bit. To be fair to the poor A/S electricians - or is it the Sargent electricians, I don't know - whoever failed to connect the wires correctly must have been instructed to do it thus. The pins the wires were connected to were never designed to take two wires to one pin, so whoever had that job to do was on a losing streak to start with.
I can recall one job I had which was to fault find on about 900 electronic units a factory had made but which had failed the final test. A few passed. When I looked into it I found a design fault in the test circuitry. I went to the boss of the company and said look at this, no wonder they all fail, the test bed has been designed wrongly. I have rectified the test bed fault and now all these ciricuits are passing the test. There is nothing wrong with the product or the hundreds you have made, it was the test equipment designer who was at fault. They gave me a raise. If I were working at Sargent or A/S I would do the same thing.

Lucky i love electrics and found litle problem sorting my van, a fre changes later thanks to info that wildbus put up i change from an pwm to a mppt solar regulator and then fitted a 230v fridge and 600w soft start smart inverter, thank you wildbus for the long run on fridges. (y)

I agree. I think a lot of pre- 2010 motorhomes were well made. It seems as if some epidemic of everyone making the same changes swept the known world. My 2009 Hobby was brilliant. My neighbour has a 2009 Autotrail and it is demonstrably better made than my 2019 mh in build quality. My opinion is that there is an obsession with making things more computerised to impress would-be buyers. Those would-be buyers don't realise the MTBF times are constantly reducing, as they add more and more flashy gimmicks. In case you didn't know, MTBF is Mean Time Between Failures, and that isn't some acronym I have made up, it is a defined standard in the electronics industry. Probably other industries as well. In the companies I worked for, we had to design circuits which would meed certain MTBF standards. We had to measure voltages at every component junction, and analyse the signals at certain points in the circuits to ensure that spurious noise spikes had not entered the circuit.
Anyway I didn't know my mh had four owners before I bought it, and I don't think it would have made any difference. I would have wondered, and I might have asked the salesman if I could have the previous owner's number so I could call them and ask. Some people keep theirs a long time, and some don't. I kept my last one for four weeks. That was an expensive mistake, I blame the clever dick salesman. :cool:
I have spent today on my knees ridding the EC700 of its awful, not fit for purpose plugs and sockets. I haven't finished yet, that is a job for tomorrow.

"Incompetent installation staff at A/S" may be a bit strong for which I apologise. Mine had two mains wires not properly connected to the EC700, causing three mains sockets not to work. The 'nearly-connected-but-not-quite' wires must have been sparking a bit. To be fair to the poor A/S electricians - or is it the Sargent electricians, I don't know - whoever failed to connect the wires correctly must have been instructed to do it thus. The pins the wires were connected to were never designed to take two wires to one pin, so whoever had that job to do was on a losing streak to start with.
I can recall one job I had which was to fault find on about 900 electronic units a factory had made but which had failed the final test. A few passed. When I looked into it I found a design fault in the test circuitry. I went to the boss of the company and said look at this, no wonder they all fail, the test bed has been designed wrongly. I have rectified the test bed fault and now all these ciricuits are passing the test. There is nothing wrong with the product or the hundreds you have made, it was the test equipment designer who was at fault. They gave me a raise. If I were working at Sargent or A/S I would do the same thing.
Selecting the right product for maximising service life is always a good idea :)
To control my AC circuits, I use SSRs - Solid State Relays. SSRs have a potential MTBF (yes, familiar with the term ;) ) how I use them in the MH of in excess of 100 years. I'll take that :D.
The Relays in my VSDR Lithium Controllers are not EMRs, but Bi-Stable/Latching Relays. No power needed to keep in either state, only to make the switch. No power to keep switched = more efficiency. No Power = less heat = more reliability.
Something which is annoying with many installs - and it sounds like the same on both yours and mine - cable routing. I have a couple of plugs into my Sargent unit which are too tight for my liking due to routing and it makes it very awkward to refit to refit. I had to take the PDU off the wall in order to just plug in a connector. Shouldn't be necessary. That I would see as an installation issue, not product issue.

I actually like a lot about the Sargent units in fact. The charging side is very dated and poor but the rest I have no issues with and is complex enough to do a decent job whilst being simple enough not to add unneccessary complications. The membrane switches on the control panels will likely fail long before a mechanical switch. A mechanical switch will also be much easier to replace. However, the switches are used so infrequently it should be an issue for most.

On the flip side, I have potentially introduced problems by fitting Wi-Fi controlled circuitry! Unnecessary complications some would say, but I love the convenience of being able to use either voice control or a phone app to control my lighting in the same way I can control the various Victron chargers.

Selecting the right product for maximising service life is always a good idea :)
To control my AC circuits, I use SSRs - Solid State Relays. SSRs have a potential MTBF (yes, familiar with the term ;) ) how I use them in the MH of in excess of 100 years. I'll take that :D.
The Relays in my VSDR Lithium Controllers are not EMRs, but Bi-Stable/Latching Relays. No power needed to keep in either state, only to make the switch. No power to keep switched = more efficiency. No Power = less heat = more reliability.
Something which is annoying with many installs - and it sounds like the same on both yours and mine - cable routing. I have a couple of plugs into my Sargent unit which are too tight for my liking due to routing and it makes it very awkward to refit to refit. I had to take the PDU off the wall in order to just plug in a connector. Shouldn't be necessary. That I would see as an installation issue, not product issue.

I actually like a lot about the Sargent units in fact. The charging side is very dated and poor but the rest I have no issues with and is complex enough to do a decent job whilst being simple enough not to add unneccessary complications. The membrane switches on the control panels will likely fail long before a mechanical switch. A mechanical switch will also be much easier to replace. However, the switches are used so infrequently it should be an issue for most.

On the flip side, I have potentially introduced problems by fitting Wi-Fi controlled circuitry! Unnecessary complications some would say, but I love the convenience of being able to use either voice control or a phone app to control my lighting in the same way I can control the various Victron chargers.
I’ve got stuff in my van as well.
No idea what most of it does. Spose that’s the difference between us..

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back