Bad smell!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2803
  • Start date

Deleted member 2803

Help/ideas anyone?
An unpleasant "bad eggs" smell has developed in our van bathroom. It's definitely not the toilet and the P drains have water in them.
Suggestions please!
Anjo

Treat your grey waste tank and leave open the drain valve afterwards while it stands.
Do you have a tip up sink? The drain is often fogotten
Good luck
K ;)

We have checked the battery and it is fine. We think the smell is coming from the grey water system (kitchen sink drain, shower tray drain, bathroom wash basin drain and drain syphon break breather tubes?). But it is all hidden so we don't know exactly what we have and how it is all connected. Cleaning and disinfecting the grey water tank will get rid of the source of the smell in the short term but it won't identify what's gone wrong to allow the gases to vent into the living area.

Probably the water in the traps have evaporated or a sealed tank has "burped" hence advice to vent tank by leaving waste tap open.
Try tipping some cheap coke down all of the drains then flushing with water after 24 hrs as a start
K ;)

Because of the occasionsal slight pongs, I use one of the dirt busting drain cleaners which I normally buy from Aldi when on special offer which I pour gently down the 3 different plug holes, I then leave it for a while before then flushing the pipes through.
At least twice per year I also fill the grey waste tank up with quite a strong bleach solution and leave if for a day or two before yet again flushing it out as well.

Phil

We do the cola thing. A couple of Aldi 17p 2 ltr bottles does it for us

Always keep the plugs in the sinks an shower. The more water goes thru them the better I regulary hold the hose in the sinks with a piece of rag around it an give them a good flush always empty the grey tank after a long drive not before

Because of the occasionsal slight pongs, I use one of the dirt busting drain cleaners which I normally buy from Aldi when on special offer which I pour gently down the 3 different plug holes, I then leave it for a while before then flushing the pipes through.
At least twice per year I also fill the grey waste tank up with quite a strong bleach solution and leave if for a day or two before yet again flushing it out as well.

Phil
I had thought about using drain buster myself but wasn’t sure if it would damage the plastic pipes. If you have used it and found it to be ok then I will give it a go.

I had thought about using drain buster myself but wasn’t sure if it would damage the plastic pipes. If you have used it and found it to be ok then I will give it a go.

Well I have used it several times on my 'Millie' having given it some very long thought before doing so. My reason for believing it would be OK is that all of the drain pipes (30mm. & 40mm.) at home are made out of plastic and I have used it on them for years and years.

Phil

Coke for me too, Developed a horrible stench, never had it before, but a couple of bottles of coke and it vanished, never to return.....I HOPE,

We had an elusive “bad eggy” smell with our last motorhome. Nothing we did to the drains, grey water tank, etc., seemed to resolve it.

It eventually turned out to be the leisure battery, which sat under the passenger seat! Wanting to check the fluid levels, as part of general maintenance, involved removing the passenger seat, complete with swivel mechanism. The levels were OK, but cleaning the battery up (as you do!) I found that the ‘gassing off’ tube was just a little bit too short, so the gas was being released into the motorhome, below floor level, but not to the outside, so the smell seemed to come from just about anywhere in the motorhome! A replacement length of tubing, extending a full inch below the floor, fixed the smell completely!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back