Baltimore bridge collapse

Pudsey Bear

Hit by a container ship, it does look a bit flimsy too.

That is going to cost the shipping company's insurance millions.

That's going to be a hell of a diversion, and the clean up to allow shipping could take months.

1711468887085.png

Last edited:
I have often been to Baltimore. Traffic at times was very slow going so the diversion will result in much disruption. It is amazing how quickly things can be done in the USA though so I’m sure that the replacement will not take long.

Can you imagine those alarms going off on the bridge of the ship 🔔 🔔🔔🔔🔔🔔🤣😫

I bet the captain needed a change of pants, it seems a lot of container ships are having steering problems.

News tonight said ship had lost all power, so no way of dropping the anchor or using any thrusters to move away.

News tonight said ship had lost all power, so no way of dropping the anchor or using any thrusters to move away.
I saw an analysis that noted the ship lost power but managed to slip the port anchor (which it was dragging) and power was restored too late to avoid the collision. The analysis suggested that the single screw was put astern, which would have slewed the bow to starboard and into the bridge pylon -- especially if she still hadn't regained control over the rudder or bow thrusters...

Bridge looks a very week structure to me, each section should be self suportive if built well, sad folks lost there lives.

That's put paid to that then.

d62e9feecaf8cb70ffb0f1dff8739b25

John Neal, chief executive of Lloyd’s of London, following a Bloomberg Television interview in London, UK.Photo: Bloomberg

Lloyd’s profit hits ‘highest level in recent history’ as cost of disaster claims drops​

Investment returns also roar back into the black at huge marine insurance and reinsurance marketplace

28 March 2024 7:39 GMT UPDATED 28 March 2024 13:37 GMT
By Gary Dixon

Lloyd’s, one of the biggest single marketplaces for marine insurance and reinsurance, has posted a big jump in 2023 earnings as the cost of claims fell.
The London group said it had achieved solid profitability on both the underwriting and investment sides, with a strong balance sheet.

‘Huge’ Baltimore crash claims will write a new history for insurance sector

Read more
Net profit rose to £268m ($338m), up from £98m in 2022.

Goes to prove what i have been saying for years, to muck electrical control crap which did not work, better the old way, 2 big diesels and 2 shafts all manuel.

Goes to prove what i have been saying for years, to muck electrical control crap which did not work, better the old way, 2 big diesels and 2 shafts all manuel.
Except they wouldn't have been "manual". Even back in the 1970s all the machinery was controlled by a mix of electronics and compressed air (trust me, I got my marine watchkeeper's certification back then) and, although it was possible to control stuff manually, we never did -- and in any case it would have taken longer to get from the machinery control room to the local machinery controls than the time available to the Dali.

Back