Banned from the Lakes

No, just saying that the Police are trying to enforce a law that does not exist.

Not illegal to sleep in a car

Providing you are in a safe place and not on Private Property there is nothing really to stop you. The Police don't seem to have any powers and the Highway Code says you should pull over and rest if you feel tired.

So ..

SORRY OFFICER felt tired so pulled over and got the bed down and fell asleep. Must have been really tired after driving from home 30 miles away because I slept for 8 hours solid.

I know! I live and have to work here. It’s horrible and makes me embarrassed to own a motor home. That’s why I only head to the continen where it’s civilised and I can avoid the masses.
Be nice if we could. Boris seems to be making sure we spend our money in the UK.
And no, I don’t believe staying out of major centres, Paris, Lyon, London is going to increase the likelihood of catching the virus.

We can break the law but don't upset the children. I suppose if "Laybys" were meant for overnight stops we would have to call them "Sleepbyes". The problem for the police is, that when they see a number of vans parked in laybys what should they do? lay-by - designated paved area beside a main road where cars can stop temporarily, "layby". So I think the word here is "Temporarily". Let's face it, it's all down to sheer numbers, whereas in the past police would turn a blind eye, now they can't. As for camping on official sites, it's a question of supply and demand. Sadly there is just too much demand, with some sites booked until November. Where I live I Bridlington we see the normally empty coach, lorry and car park, full of overnight motorhomes and caravans. Yes you have to pay a fiver or so and there are no real facilities, but at least it's legal and secure. But it does show the numbers on the road. (Which will get even worse if Boris bans travel abroad.)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back