Bath Now Has a Clean Air Zone

If anyone wants to take their Moho through Bath - check your route and vehicle compliance first! According to the camping site owner here, a couple of weeks ago the city set up a low emission area with a £9 fee for moho entry which rises to a penalty of £100 if unpaid. The signs advising entry to the area are said to be really small and could easily be missed.
Details can be found here:

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Bear in mind if your over 3500kgs and not Euro 6 its £100 unless you apply for a discount before hand then its £9. Birmingham going the same way.
As mine is an older PHGV, I checked and was about to bring that up. You also need to pay via something called MiPermit, and you need to renew your application each year. More details and link to apply for the discount on their website here.

Bath Council website said:
Drivers of higher emission larger motorhomes and horse transporters that are classed as PHGV and are not being used commercially for hire or reward, can pay a discounted daily charge of £9 (rather than the standard £100) in Bath’s CAZ. Once registered with the council, you must pay for each journey using MiPermit. There is no expiry for this discount, but you will need to renew your details with us each year.

Evidence required

When you apply, you will need to upload the following evidence:

• V5 certificate
  • Photos of the front, back, sides and inside rear of the vehicle
This will need to be a digital file, or a photograph, scan or screenshot of the original document.

Thanks for that Colin,.

I see they've already been added to the free 'green-zones.eu' app.

The Bath zone is larger than I expected, and although my van is currently free, I wonder how long that will last. 😳

Thanks for that Colin,.

I see they've already been added to the free 'green-zones.eu' app.

The Bath zone is larger than I expected, and although my van is currently free, I wonder how long that will last. 😳

Thanks for the link to the 'green-zones.eu' app, HurricaneSmith.
That's new to me and I'll most definitely check it out. I've been wondering how on earth I'll plan a route in mainland Europe without prior knowledge of the ever-growing number of clean air zones!

Colin 🙂🙂

Bear in mind if your over 3500kgs and not Euro 6 its £100 unless you apply for a discount before hand then its £9. Birmingham going the same way.

I'm euro5 and 7.5t. And exempt.

Registered as a Motor caravan and disabled tax if that makes any difference...

We cycled into Bath and along the Two Tunnels cycle route today.
Our ride took us past one of the Clean Air notices by the roadside:

IMG_20210502_114539.jpg

You have been warned!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

So if you stay in city centre do you pay for every day you are there ?
I like Bath but have to accept these bans/charges are not going away .
No intention of visiting Birmingham !

I believe that the charge is for each 24 hour period. The link I posted in #1 explains how the Clean Air Zone works.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

It's really easy to avoid the Clean Air Zone constraints in Bath, simply because there's a brilliant system of park and ride sites distributed around Bath City.
In previous years when visiting the Xmas market I've used the M4 and then the huge Lansdown P&R:

There are other P&Rs - a quick interwebby search will find the others if Lansdown doesn't suit. They even accept OAP cards so the bus ride is free if, like me, you fall into that category!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

CAMpRA have being trying to get overnight parking and sleeping in our motorhomes on at lease one park and ride in Bath. We have put them in touch with Canterbury P&R but nothing happening so far. If any of you live in Bath or in the Local authority area please lobby your councillors to get permission to stay overnight in the P&R's around Bath.

It's really easy to avoid the Clean Air Zone constraints in Bath, simply because there's a brilliant system of park and ride sites distributed around Bath City.
In previous years when visiting the Xmas market I've used the M4 and then the huge Lansdown P&R:

There are other P&Rs - a quick interwebby search will find the others if Lansdown doesn't suit. They even accept OAP cards so the bus ride is free if, like me, you fall into that category!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Colin - have you tried any of the Park n Rides? Do you know if they are suitable for parking larger motorhomes? (Ours is 8.8m long)

ta

As mentioned in #12, I've used Lansdown P&R more than once when visiting the Xmas market, Graham.
My Moho is 7 metres long and I don't recall having any problem at all. Looking at the P&R from Lansdown Road, most mohos park along the right hand border (the north west border). The carpark has the ability for folks to use double bays as one, but I'm not sure what the regulations state about that. This is a photo I've lifted from Street View:

Screenshot_20210503-084144.jpg

Having said all that, it might be a good idea to give Bath City a call and double check the availability of long bays.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Reactions: GMJ
I'll probably never visit Bristol or Bath again since I'd have typically stopped at the Baltic Wharf CMC site and then used the bikes on the Bristol and Bath cycleway. FWIW, that route has long been on my bucket list but Bristol and Bath CAZs have transferred it to another, rhyming, list. :(

FWIW, I've found that most towns or cities that I've visited and which have park 'n ride schemes are receptive provided you phone them up first to ask. Latest for me was Truro (albeit over a year ago), where they told me which park 'n ride to use and gave me a number to call a few minutes before arrival so that someone would be there to lift the height barrier. They told me to park about as far away from the bus stop as you could in that park but were cool for me to take up 4 car spaces.

If you'd like to see some photos of the cycle routes we've been on around Bristol and Bath over the past couple of days, Geoff, please pop over to the 'Weather Report ....' thread.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Out of interest, I've just put my details into the gov.co.uk/clean-air-zones checker. Despite being less than 3.5t and my registration document showing the body type as a "motor caravan", the checker shows it as a "van" and hence liable to the charge.
Also checked its status for the London zones. Whilst I'd be charged for going in the ULEZ (what isn't?), it shows that I'm OK to drive in the LEZ .
So, Bath and Brum and more stringent than London?!
Worth checking what the system says rather than assuming you're in the clear!

still trying to work out a route to Bradford on avon from Bristol . Bath's just a theme park now, and a city full of knick-knack shops for the rich . we loved living there years ago ,but it's now just another tourist cash collector . i'll miss parking the van in vicky and alexandra parks tho

If you'd like to see some photos of the cycle routes we've been on around Bristol and Bath over the past couple of days, Geoff, please pop over to the 'Weather Report ....' thread.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
Thanks -- some nice photos there...

FWIW, At one time, we were considering starting in Bristol, taking the Bristol & Bath and the Kennet & Avon to Reading and then returning the same route in reverse, staying in B&Bs en-route -- but never got around to riding it.

As an ex-CTC member, I've seen lots of reports of the Bristol & Bath. Unfortunately, that includes a time when some ne'er-do-wells strung wires across the cycleway -- presumably to harm other ne'er-do-wells illegally riding motorcycles along the route. That was a decade or more ago, and I hope it no longer happens...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back