Battery charging question

Nick-Mandy

Apologises if already answered somewhere.

I have a Varta LA95 AGM battery that is charged via the solar panel. Okay in the summer, but in winter it charges to about 25% if I'm lucky.
I only use it in winter for the 12v TV, the water pump and the LED lighting, so I don't need much power.
I've looked into a secondary battery and solar panel, but don't really want to go there yet.
I don't really want to buy a small generator for an emergency either.

As our MH is 2020, do you think the manufacturers would put in a system as standard, whereby the leisure battery would charge by the vehicles alternator, whilst your travelling around? {or am I on cloud 9)

How would I find this out and is this even possible?

In a 2020 Motorhome I would think you have some kind of Control Panel that shows the voltage of the batteries and also probably the current used?
Check the voltage of each battery on the display. Then start the engine and check the voltages again. If they have both gone up, the alternator will be charging the battery. If you have a current display, you can get an idea what the charge rate is.

The chance of a new factory built motorhome NOT having a "split charge" system of some kind is Zero.
The chance of it not working properly is somewhat greater. If the voltage is not going up, contact the maker.

Thanks Wildebus,

My control panel has lights only and a sort of percentage indicator of rate of charge (I think). Instructions are pretty useless -

but it has a connection for a second battery.

The company I brought it from couldn't even connect the temparture sensor up let alone tell me if the battery will charge via the alternator.
Maybe a car electricial engineer will be able to put a meter on it.

Thanks Wildebus,

My control panel has lights only and a sort of percentage indicator of rate of charge (I think). Instructions are pretty useless -

but it has a connection for a second battery.

The company I brought it from couldn't even connect the temparture sensor up let alone tell me if the battery will charge via the alternator.
Maybe a car electricial engineer will be able to put a meter on it.
I was think more about the Motorhome generally rather than the Solar Controller specifically.

So something along the lines of this unit, which are very popular on British brand motorhomes.
for a 2020 model, I would expect you to have something a bit newer, but to provide the same type of info#.

First of all, you say you only use it in winter for the 12v tv water pump and led lights, which is what most people will use and will be a heavy strain on a single battery in winter when it’s dark for about 15 hours a day. The 12v tv will take the most power out of your batteries, and in winter, the solar panel ( depending on its size, minimum I would say should be 100watts ) probably won’t recharge the battery fully anyway even if it’s sunny all day.
Once you’ve checked the battery is charging via the alternator and solar panel, if you want to keep using the power as you are, in my opinion, you will need a second leisure battery at the very least (but this still won’t be charged fully with just a single solar panel) or you’ll need to be on the move every other day.

edit.... your Truma solar charger has a second battery connector that will generally be connected to the cab battery so that it also gets charged with solar power. I assume this isn’t connected at the moment?

Last edited:
First of all, you say you only use it in winter for the 12v tv water pump and led lights, which is what most people will use and will be a heavy strain on a single battery in winter when it’s dark for about 15 hours a day. The 12v tv will take the most power out of your batteries, and in winter, the solar panel ( depending on its size, minimum I would say should be 100watts ) probably won’t recharge the battery fully anyway even if it’s sunny all day.
Once you’ve checked the battery is charging via the alternator and solar panel, if you want to keep using the power as you are, in my opinion, you will need a second leisure battery at the very least (but this still won’t be charged fully with just a single solar panel) or you’ll need to be on the move every other day.

edit.... your Truma solar charger has a second battery connector that will generally be connected to the cab battery so that it also gets charged with solar power. I assume this isn’t connected at the moment?
No, the solar panel controller is not connected to a second battery or connected to the cab battery.

I was think more about the Motorhome generally rather than the Solar Controller specifically.

So something along the lines of this unit, which are very popular on British brand motorhomes.
for a 2020 model, I would expect you to have something a bit newer, but to provide the same type of info#.

My control panel displays bars rather than digital numbers. As far as I can remember, once you turn on the ignition and start the engine, the control panel will cease to function.

Screenshot_2020-10-19 ELDDIS EVO CV20 CV40 CV60 CONTROL PANELS(1).png

1. Apparently my vehicle does charge the leisure battery whilst on the move
2. It also charges via the 230v intake
3. The 5 staged bars give an inaccurate reading of between 10.5v and 12.8v. Installing a proper voltmeter would have been better. At least I have some idea of whats remaining.

1. Apparently my vehicle does charge the leisure battery whilst on the move
2. It also charges via the 230v intake
3. The 5 staged bars give an inaccurate reading of between 10.5v and 12.8v. Installing a proper voltmeter would have been better. At least I have some idea of whats remaining.
Lots of options, but maybe worth getting something like this to plug into a 12V socket to give you a better idea in a very simple way?

When driving it should charge at 14.4 volts to all batteries, when you switch of the lez bat should be disconnected from the starter one, solar can do one or both and also depending on what regulator you have, pmw or mppt .

A 2020 van is likely to have a smart alternator and if so it will interfere with the proper charging of the leisure battery when driving. The constructor should know this and have installed some form of B2B or booster system to overcome the problem.

Lots of options, but maybe worth getting something like this to plug into a 12V socket to give you a better idea in a very simple way?

wow...... thanks for the info WB.
I'm off to my local workshop for advice on fitting a secondary battery with the same charging system

wow...... thanks for the info WB.
I'm off to my local workshop for advice on fitting a secondary battery with the same charging system
If you can, post some info about the system fitted - or the exact model of motorhome you have - and can see if we can work out the capabilities of the charging setup you have.
Too many motorhome manufacturers charge a not inconsiderable amount of money for the vehicle, but still fit a very basic setup that is not that great for the kind of use people have and want nowadays

If you can, post some info about the system fitted - or the exact model of motorhome you have - and can see if we can work out the capabilities of the charging setup you have.
Too many motorhome manufacturers charge a not inconsiderable amount of money for the vehicle, but still fit a very basic setup that is not that great for the kind of use people have and want nowadays
100% agree, but people still buy, so manufacturers don't need to knowing Joe blogs is buying it before talking to salesman sad but true on many occasions

WB. There's very little I can tell you as I'm not that technically minded when it comes to electrics. Sean at Brownhills ran though the basics and one important thing he said about connecting up a secondary battery, I've completely forgotten.

The system charges (tops up) the leisure battery whilst the engine is running, and also runs the fridge in battery mode. Engine switched off, the solar panel takes over depending on the weather. You can also plug in the mains lead and it will charge the Leisure battery but will not charge the vehicle battery. I need to ask again (if or) why I can't connect a secondary battery up to the solar control panel (which as a spare input for one).

I want a proper voltage meter fitted too, thank you for pointing out the 12v plug in device earlier.

When I know more i'll post it here.

100% agree, but people still buy, so manufacturers don't need to knowing Joe blogs is buying it before talking to salesman sad but true on many occasions

So many like me start off motorhoming the expensive way. Thanks to RoaminRog and countless other wonderful people on here, I have learnt a lot and saved some money and a load of aggravation. Pity I didn't join this forum first before buying a MH. I'm very happy with what I've got but could have done much better.

Here endth the lesson

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back