Beans, Butter etc

Pudsey Bear

Liz has been trying to save money on our shopping, not that we load the trolley up anyway, but she's buying all the cheap stuff, own brand etc and I honestly do not like it if she wants to eat it fine but it's not for me, I like Heinz beans and Lurpack butter, it's not like I even use a lot of it, beans maybe once every couple of week, butter on my lunch sandwich.

We use so little of the things I like if it's more than a couple of quid a week I'd be surprised, then she spends a mint on Twinning's teabags.

Liz has been trying to save money on our shopping, not that we load the trolley up anyway, but she's buying all the cheap stuff, own brand etc and I honestly do not like it if she wants to eat it fine but it's not for me, I like Heinz beans and Lurpack butter, it's not like I even use a lot of it, beans maybe once every couple of week, butter on my lunch sandwich.

We use so little of the things I like if it's more than a couple of quid a week I'd be surprised, then she spends a mint on Twinning's teabags.
Get her telt !

I'm happy to try anything I'm not that set in my ways but if I don't like em I don't want to waste money on them

The ECB in Europe is tracking 'greedflation' by multinational companies['MNC'], the process where price rises are used as an excuse to lob an extra price increase on top, to improve/increase profit margins, without publicising the additional price hike. The ECB will look at issuing fines against the companies to deter such action in the future. Greedflation has also been identified by the Monetary Policy Committee at the Bank of England, but nothing has been done, other than a raised eyebrow ...

Meanwhile, the Discounters [we use Aldi] have developed their own similar brands and their Norpak is very difficult to distinguish from Lurpak, apart from the 50% discount on the price! MNCs spend huge amounts of money developing the brand value in the eyes of the consumer, and rake the profits in by the premium price tags. There is a recognised 'snob appeal' to buying Kelloggs Cornflakes, rather than supermarket own brand versions [Heinz Beans have been singled out for the 'taste no different from own brand in a blind test' treatment this week.

You pays your money [or you choose not to] and you takes your choice. My tastebuds tell me that Aldi Norpak is fine, but its equivalent of Nescafé Gold Blend is anaemic, and Aldi's own brand hot chocolate powder contains too much sugar. I'm happy with saving at least £10pw on the weekly shop compared our previous shopping at a national supermarket

Steve

Liz cannot detect any difference in these cheaper own brand things she keeps buying, and it's not just me being over fussy or putting my foot down, she has often done a blind taste test and I almost always can distinguish the one I'm used to from the other, most of them have little to no flavour.

Take the Norpak butter, it is actually quite good for an own brand but it's not as nice for me as Lurpak, she got two today @ £3.75 seem the didn't like people not buying it and dropped the prices again, it's not cheap of course, but a 500g will last me 4-5 weeks on average.

I also have a particular health issue where I get a smell in my nose that stays for weeks, then it'll be replaced by another. I've been to the Docs and they have tested me and apparently, I have heightened taste buds, some people can stuff anything in and not be bothered but I've never been able to do that I was force fed all kinds of crap as a kid to save money I'd just leave it and starve first, my dad was an evil bastard he'd make my mother save it for my dinner the next day.

I have very little taste or smell of foods, so if its not barking at me its down the hatch, 17p beans taste the same as 75p ones to me.

I have very little taste or smell of foods, so if its not barking at me its down the hatch, 17p beans taste the same as 75p ones to me.
Oh that would do my head in Trev, I love my food, I savour every mouthful and never rush my meals, taste is one of the best things once you cease mattress testing.

We buy them from Costco so not as bad.

Can I just point out that Lurpak is not butter it’s a spread (margarine under a different guise) butter is butter, though I do like Lurpak spread plus I do buy brands for me buying looky likeys is false economy.

Can I just point out that Lurpak is not butter it’s a spread (margarine under a different guise) butter is butter, though I do like Lurpak spread plus I do buy brands for me buying looky likeys is false economy.
Really ! So we are talking about cheaper versions of margarine ?

I'll disagree with you, slightly, Annie. A major brand spends a huge sum to build up the brand reputation/name and then charges a premium price to both recoup the R&D/advertising spend and to reap the super profits of much higher retail prices. Whilst the economy is healthy, shoppers will accept the higher prices for what they know and trust, but in the current economic climate, shoppers have become much more budget conscious [Aldi has added some 1.45 million customers in the last 3 months for which figures have been released] and the Lo cost producers who have far less frills have been able to improve their products at minimal extra cost to make many of them indistinguishable from the brand names in Blind Tastings. Both Asda and Morrisons are also carrying huge debt piles from their relatively recent takeovers by Equity/Hedge Funds and have to charge to cover both the debt interest and repayment instalments, whilst desperately trying to defend their market share against Aldi, Lidl et al. And if they try to squeeze more cash out of the major producers to fund the Brand Name offerings, the brands will reduce quality and/or size of their products to protect/increase their own profit margins ['greedflation']. This in turn leads hard pressed shoppers to try Aldi/Lidl and to try the own brand offerings to see if they can compete with Unilever, Proctor & Gamble, Mondelez etc for taste, but at a lower price

And yes, I do need to get a life; but, in these temperatures, an anorak with a fur hood to catch the dandruff [hat tip to Jasper Carrott for that one] is quite useful :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Really ! So we are talking about cheaper versions of margarine ?
It’s a much healthier margarine it’s butter mixed with rapeseed’s oil where cheap margarine is a mixture of oils, there is a red pack which is Lurpak butter and it says butter on the pack I believe because of the rapeseed’s oil they cannot call it butter which is why it’s called Lurpak spreadable EU regs I suspect

It’s a much healthier margarine it’s butter mixed with rapeseed’s oil where cheap margarine is a mixture of oils, there is a red pack which is Lurpak butter and it says butter on the pack I believe because of the rapeseed’s oil they cannot call it butter which is why it’s called Lurpak spreadable EU regs I suspect
Still margarine though ! Turning into my dad .
He went nuts if my mother bought margarine . As far as he was concerned the war was over so no need for wartime stuff .

I think we were largely Stork users when I was a bairn, now Liz uses it for baking only.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back