Been quoted £1500 to repair my awning or £1260 to replace it. Suggestions welcome

V1nny

My 5.5 metre Fiamma awning would not open. The guy who normally does my repairs and servicing thought it was a faulty gearbox. After waiting months for a replacement part the awning still won't work.
The van took a knock over the summer and I think some of the parts are bent as a result. I've been quoted £1,500 for replacement parts, or £1,260 including labour to replace the awning with a new one.
I have been looking online but the cheapest new awning I can find is nearly £1,000. Can anyone help sourcing a cheaper replacement?

they are really expensive, I bought the smallest one they did at the time for my Nu Venture, think maybe 1.9m and I think it was about £600...so for one the size you want thats probably a good price...and you have a brand new one...good luck :)

Sounds about right for a new one, that model retails at £1139, Johns Cross will give a 10% discount for members.
Dave

Before you spend any money at all, make sure your problem is not just a "sticky" awning. This is going to take some explaining, but I will try my best.
When you attempt to wind out a Fiamma awning, what happens is that the awning ceases to be held in the closed position - it is not a positive winding out. At each end of the awning casing is a small "ramp" angled at 45 degrees and when you close the awning, a similar ramp on the awning slides up the stationery ramp. Over time, the ramps can become dirty or sticky and when you come to wind the awning out, it doesn't slide down the ramps as it should. The winder rotates but nothing happens. You can check if this is your problem by giving the winder a turn or two, then trying to drag the awning out manually. All you will then need is some silicone lubricant on the ramps and problem solved.
All the above stems from me having a problem winding my Fiamma awning out, now beautifully solved with a bit of lube. Good Luck!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back